'09 Traverse No Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like the title says. Temp gauge reads operating temp, but no heat comes out the vents at all. Radiator and over flow have coolant.

Any ideas?

Sounds like I may have to take a trip to the stealership.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Is it making heat, that is to say can you feel it anywhere inside the car?

No. Nothing but cold.

Heater hoses are warm at temp.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Is it blowing out cold air, or no air at all? Is this a manual type of heat/air or a fancy read your mind automatic setups?

It blows cold air. Manual knobs.

Have you checked the "control head"? My friends 09' had similar problem, and his blower didnt work; took it to dealer(under warranty) and the control head was kabloee

I always have to say check for body systems codes on modern cars first and if heater core is working suspect temp door actuator not working.

MarkM66,
I had the same problem with my 1997 Pontiac Trans Sport van with the 3.4 litre engine. Long story short, there is an in line heater hose "bleed valve" coming out of the intake manifold that has a tendency to get plugged with coolant "sludge".
The dealer said I had a plugged heater core with a $1000 estimate.
I sought a second opinion, my local independent mechanic said he saw a GM TSB indicating the bleed valve problem.....he cleaned the bleed valve out and voila....problem fixed. Price....$20.00.
I hope this helps you.

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
Maybe air in the heater core or the heater core Is plugged up.

Wouldn't hurt to flush the heater core with cleaner and air,

Not likely. If the heater hoses are hot then there is flow through the core.

OP: can you crawl down under the dash and locate the heat blend door? Have a helper run the temp through the ranges and see if it moves.

Possibilities include a bad wire, faulty heat blend door motor, faulty door or control head. Like another member said, you really need codes though (if any).

Well, I made an assumption, and you know how those go.

I assumed that since there was fluid in the overflow, that the rad would be full. After removing about 10 clips, that are recessed no less to make them a bigger pain, and pulling off the rad cover to actually remove the rad cap, it was a little low, maybe an 1". I filled the rad, and added a little more to the overflow, and it's now blowing warm air from the vents.

Seems od to me that just because the radiator is a little low, that there would be no heat at all. And it worked the day before. But I guess they can be that finicky.

I received a letter from GM a few months back stating that the water pumps could start leaking, and to routinely check the overflow for proper coolant level. There's no visible leak that I'm aware of. They did extend the warranty on the pump to 10y/100k miles.

So I guess this is causing the low coolant.

Thanks for all the advice. If something else happens, I'll update.

Last edited:
In the big scheme of things, it's better for the heat to go off to warn the owner of a potentially larger problem than the heat going full-tilt while the engine overheats.

Leaking water pumps are a recurrent GM issue. Your Traverse isn't the only recent GM to be affected by leaky water pumps.

Well it did it again. After sitting for about a month I decided to drive it this morning. No Heat!

Overflow was low, but not empty, so I quickly added some. It didn't help. I'll see if it works this afternoon when I leave.

Dealer said there are no coolant leaks. Then why have I had to ad almost of gallon of coolant to it in the past 2 years?
crazy.gif

I guess I need to try another dealer.

It's probably a blend door actuator. I had to replace mine one time, but it was a piece-a-cake because it was right behind the glove box.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's probably a blend door actuator. I had to replace mine one time, but it was a piece-a-cake because it was right behind the glove box.

I think there are several "blend doors." Is the one that controls the heat behind the glove box? Thanks

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
I think there are several "blend doors." Is the one that controls the heat behind the glove box? Thanks

I can't tell you where the heater blend door is on your Traverse. Your best bet is to buy a 1 year subscription to Alldata. That will tell you where each blend door is and which mode it controls.

It started working on the way home yesterday. Do these blend doors halfway work at times? Or just fail all together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back