Best Way to Keep Wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not just make a big hook out of a fairly thin wire and hang them in order? I have a tray to line them up by side.

I think it matters how many wrenches you have and do you want them hanging on a pegboard or do you have a tool storage chest for them? Do you want to be able to carry a whole set of wrenches or do you normally just carry out 2 or 3?

For me, the easier it is to put them away, the more chance they will get put away.

Kids or wife who may borrow tools?

Last edited:
Like someone has already said, it does depend on how many wrench sets you have and what you're using for storage. For me it's all about being able to find exactly what I need in the least amount of time and minimizing wasted space.

I have a lot of wrenches. I keep them in my roll-around tool cabinet with my other tools. One drawer for metric, one for standard, one for over-sized, I keep my small and medium length wrenches in silverware sorters which keeps them organized, on their side and tightly packed. I cut out one end of the silverware trays for extra-long combination wrenches and regular length 11/16" to 7/8". 15/16" to 1-1/2" go in the over-sized drawer.

It sounds strange, but it works like a charm. Walmart or the Dollar stores are the place to look for them.

I don't there is a "best" way to store wrenches. It depends on your needs and how you want them sorted and stored. I don't use any kind of rack or storage for my wrenches. I have many wrenches and racks and trays just don't offer the flexibility I need.

I keep my wrenches sorted by metric, SAE, oversized (like for AC fittings) and "specials" (like offset and obstruction wrenches).

I've found that just storing them on edge works the best for me.

Here's my metric wrench drawer:

I have on the order of 20 each metric and standard. I get annoyed when working on the cars and I have to hunt through the tool box looking for a specific size. The plastic organizers look good--I bought one from HF, took it home, inserted one wrench that did not fit, and inserted another one that broke the clip.....maybe HF is just not the best vendor for this type of product and I should look elsewhere.

I have a pegboard I could hang them on but something I can carry with me while working on the car is what I am after....

I don't use wrench racks because they take up too much space in the drawer and they don't hold enough wrenches.

The same goes for socket racks. I've found that these work for me. Holds lots of sockets and I have flexibility with how I want to organize them.

I have a set of these, but I don't use them.

http://hansenglobalinc.com/our-products/socket-trays/

They require the use of a deep drawer and these drawers are usually located towards the bottom of the chest. I don't like stooping for something I frequently reach for. They also don't hold enough sockets.

If I find I'm walking too much between the vehicle and my tool box, I just roll the box over to the car. It's not called a "roll-away" for nothing. Or I just throw the tools I think I'm going to need into a bucket and go from there.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I don't use wrench racks because they take up too much space in the drawer and they don't hold enough wrenches.

The same goes for socket racks. I've found that these work for me. Holds lots of sockets and I have flexibility with how I want to organize them.

They require the use of a deep drawer and these drawers are usually located towards the bottom of the chest. I don't like stooping for something I frequently reach for. They also don't hold enough sockets.

I agree on wrenches, but I don't agree on socket racks.

I really like socket racks for keeping them organized and easy to find. Many good toolboxes will have a tall top drawer specifically for sockets. If you have to reach to your bottom drawer because of socket organizers, then you may have bought the wrong toolbox.

I don't work in a shop anymore, so I don't need to keep my wrenches locked up. They go on a tool board I made.
Workbenchchainsaw_zpse4dbf989.jpg

Originally Posted By: wvrailroader
I have this tray and really like it:

http://www.sears.com/sort-a-tool-inc-wre...mp;blockType=G1

It is on sale at Sears now for $8.99. It stores the wrenches on edge so it is pretty compact. They are available in red too, according to the Sort-A-Tool website. It is made in the US, which was one of its selling points for me.

Now that is a great wrench organizer. Thanks for posting that wvrailroader. I may have to get a few of those. Are they available at the store or is it an online deal only ? I'm curious what the dimensions are, too.

I bought mine at the local Sears store, but they are online also. They had probably a dozen of them on the shelf. The dimensions are 13.5" x 9.5" x 1.5". It fits nicely in a drawer in my top box with room to spare for duplicate wrenches.

Originally Posted By: wvrailroader
I bought mine at the local Sears store, but they are online also. They had probably a dozen of them on the shelf. The dimensions are 13.5" x 9.5" x 1.5". It fits nicely in a drawer in my top box with room to spare for duplicate wrenches.

Thanks for the update wvrailroader. I'll have to stop into a Sears asap and look for one of those. If it works out OK I'll probably get 3 or 4 more.

Hi Mate,

use a carbiner, one of those cheap aluminium ones is usually fine, you just clip all the rings onto it and its really easy to keep organised. can even use it while its on there still for a few smaller jobs.

Hope you find this useful, works a charm for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back