ATP AT-205 , Can it make things worse ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a 99 Mazda with over 300,000km (186+ miles) on the odo. It seems like it has a small leak on both the front and rear seal but since the car is nearing it's end of life I don't want to spend the money on pulling the transmission/timing belt and replacing the gaskets.

Currently the leak isn't bad, a few drops here and there so not a huge issue.

I am considering trying the ATP AT-205 re-seal but only if it doesn't make things worse. According to my research it seems to be 100% DIETHYLENE GLYCOL MONOETHYL ETHER. The ATP staff refer to it as "plasticizer" .

Can it make things worse ??? If it can't make things worse, lets give it a try, if it can, I might as well wait until things are really bad !

In New England 186K miles is just the beginning....as long as there is enough metal left to attach pop rivets or bondo to.

Coworker with an 03 (I think) MPV with leaky seals tried that stuff. While it didn't cure it, tranny didn't grenade. They have become more aware about checking the fluid level as it had gotten pretty low.

It won't hurt anything. Just don't expect miracles.

I bought some for a newly acquired Geo Metro that was losing a quart of oil every 250 miles due to a distributor seal leak. Was worried like the Op about over swelling and the risk of a big leak. The company states that while it swells seals the seals are not softened or weakened like other seal swellers. I went ahead and put nearly a full bottle in the little one liter engine and have to say that it does seem to be working nicely. I've driven about six hundred miles and have only lost a liter. Atp folks say that it takes five hours of driving for it to kick in, so I'm hoping this stuff will do it's magic...

The DIETHYLENE GLYCOL MONOETHYL ETHER is produced by Dow under the trade name, "Carbitol."

It is used as a solvent for paints and varnishes.

Originally Posted By: dino33
I bought some for a newly acquired Geo Metro that was losing a quart of oil every 250 miles due to a distributor seal leak. Was worried like the Op about over swelling and the risk of a big leak. The company states that while it swells seals the seals are not softened or weakened like other seal swellers. I went ahead and put nearly a full bottle in the little one liter engine and have to say that it does seem to be working nicely. I've driven about six hundred miles and have only lost a liter. Atp folks say that it takes five hours of driving for it to kick in, so I'm hoping this stuff will do it's magic...

As I told you before: 15 mins and a 3dollar O-ring from the stealership and your leak is fixed for at least 6 to 8 yrs down the road without the need of replenishing motor oil.

How much better than that can you get (other than resort to using short-term temporary fix?)

Q.

I agree Quest, I had some extra Atp kicking around so I gave it a shot just to see how it would work with the distributor seal, and also, attempt to 'freshen up' all the other seals including the main crank seal. I will be replacing the distributor seal soon enough. I believe Atp is legit and not snake oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back