Gapping double platinum plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I'm changing the plugs and wires in my Camry, it calls for double platinum plugs so I got them and it also calls for a gap of .044 but the plugs are about .025 out of the box. What do I do? I've never gapped double plugs so is it .022 on each side or .044 on each side or leave them alone? Thanks

2vlnmf8.jpg

Is that the factory replacement plug? I always thought double platinum plugs had platinum on the ground electrode and on the end of the center electrode and looked like a regular spark plug. The plug in the picture, to me, is not a double platinum plug.

You don't gap Platinum, Double Platinum, or Iridium plugs.
They come out of the box as they should be.

I have no idea what that is in your picture.

Checking the gap on those plugs is pretty easy and you don't even need a gap gauge.

Look at the box to see that it hasn't been crushed. Remove the plug and look at the protector sleeve on the end of the plug to see that that also hasn't been crushed. Look at the two gaps and see that they appear, by eye, to be about the same. That's it.

If one of them doesn't check out it should be replaced, not adjusted.

those are pretty unusual plugs for oem. Reminds me of the bosch plugs(hence the bling comment) They arent gap-able as was mentioned.

Use it if it looks good. if not get a replacement.

@OP:

Those plugs you got for replacement are special PLATINUM dual ground electrode plugs made for Toyota exclusively by Denso.

Use them the way it is. They should theoretically last up to approx. 5 years but typically, I have to change them out to single-electrode type platinums or iridiums after 4 yrs or so, due to center electrode erosion.

For single electrode platinums or iridiums, I typically gap them to standard 44 thou.

Q.

I decided to stick them in as they are and I thought changing plugs and wires and then the car running better was an all-in-your-head thing, but it really did make a difference, acceleration was much easier at lower RPMs. They were original wires and I'm not sure about the plugs but they were well worn.

Thanks guys for your help

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

WRONG. You should gap every plug to specs before installing as they do not come gapped for your application because the same plug may fit several models with different gap specs.

NOW - the exception to this rule would be plugs like the Bosch Platinum +4, some finewire Irdiums and the plug in the picture above that the poster is asking about.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

WRONG. You should gap every plug to specs before installing as they do not come gapped for your application because the same plug may fit several models with different gap specs.

NOW - the exception to this rule would be plugs like the Bosch Platinum +4, some finewire Irdiums and the plug in the picture above that the poster is asking about.

You.can gap fine wire plugs. It is just important that youndont brake the electrode or the platinum/iridium disc on the ground electrode.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Go with Denso PK20TT gapped at .044''

RockAuto

I was going to put those in my ford before it blew a HG, as they work well in waste sprk igi's. A denso ending in ***11 should be very near the 1.1mm factory gap - many tuners will start at 1mm to leave room for gap erosion so the igi wont be stressed near the last 1/3 of the service life.

You can't gap them.

In fact, under the hood of my ES300, it says not to gap them.

Most platinum and iridium plugs cannot be gapped anyway because those materials are more delicate than copper.

And how did you even fit a gapper in there anyway? :p

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
You can't gap them.

I gap my iridium plugs after about 30,000 miles; that's after I clean them with a wire brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back