toyota corolla 98-02 oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
^You should read up on zyxelenator's posts regarding his sludged up Camry. 1999 V6 with M/T, if you want help with nuking the sludge and consumption issues.

+1 Check out his post on the Kreen threads if you want to try and clean up these 4 cylinder engines. It might be worth a try.....

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^You should read up on zyxelenator's posts regarding his sludged up Camry. 1999 V6 with M/T, if you want help with nuking the sludge and consumption issues.

to OP:

-stuck oil control rings, indeed!

-not enough oil return holes in the oil control ring lands, not necessarily.

-lack of maintenance on the oil change part, you bet!

I've done enough of these corollas,etc. to know that even with factory OCI (avg 6kkms OCI only using dealership bulk oil), 1st owner 99 corolla,over 230kkms when changing hands, not a drop of oil burned. PCV was properly serviced by stealerships.

to others: internet is notorious for casual observations and such, and in this case: 98~00 corolla engine oil burning (leads to speculation of engine being hard on oil!?, yadda yadda, yadda) is wayy overrated. It mainly has to do due to owner's lack of oil changes during early years of ownerships. As the mileage creeps up, the damage is pretty much done for (and good luck on you folks trying to do a piston soak to unstuck the otherwise carboned/jammed oil control rings with all kinds of stoddard solvents, etc.)

you can try using high mileage oil or stoddard solvent to help in reducing oil burning rate but at the end: stuck oil control rings can never get freed unless the engine is taken apart and piston oil control ring lands get scraped manually.

Q.

The Q has spoken!

I am looking at one with 65K curious to know if I'll encounter the same prob should I buy it.

A 100K car that has had regular oil changes is much better IMO than a 65K car with spotty maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Quest
to OP:

-stuck oil control rings, indeed!

-not enough oil return holes in the oil control ring lands, not necessarily.

-lack of maintenance on the oil change part, you bet!

I've done enough of these corollas,etc. to know that even with factory OCI (avg 6kkms OCI only using dealership bulk oil), 1st owner 99 corolla,over 230kkms when changing hands, not a drop of oil burned. PCV was properly serviced by stealerships.

to others: internet is notorious for casual observations and such, and in this case: 98~00 corolla engine oil burning (leads to speculation of engine being hard on oil!?, yadda yadda, yadda) is wayy overrated. It mainly has to do due to owner's lack of oil changes during early years of ownerships. As the mileage creeps up, the damage is pretty much done for (and good luck on you folks trying to do a piston soak to unstuck the otherwise carboned/jammed oil control rings with all kinds of stoddard solvents, etc.)

you can try using high mileage oil or stoddard solvent to help in reducing oil burning rate but at the end: stuck oil control rings can never get freed unless the engine is taken apart and piston oil control ring lands get scraped manually.

Q.

What you said doesn't agree with my experience. I have made in 2002 corolla serviced every 6 months or 4-5000 miles with dealer oil (under warranty) and valvoline or PYB oils myself after warranty expired.

My consumption started at 65,000 miles IIRC. Took several MMO and kreen soaks and HM oil to stop it.

This engine heats pistons too much on hwy driving and dino oil cokes on the pistons. New pistons with more oil holes fixed the design problem in 2003.

I purchased a 2001 Toyota Corolla for my daughter last summer. Thought that a mint (no rust) Toyota Corolla with 95K would last her a long time. I soon found out why the previous owner traded it in. I bought it from a dealer that bought it at an auction but it was incrediably clean. During the first month, I noticed excessive oil usage then started to do some research. I then learned about the issues with the 8th gen Toyota engines. Yikes! I just bought some Kreen and I am now looking to do a piston soak (just did one with MMO). It appears that this will help the issue. What are the steps to effectively perform this procedure? How much Kreen, how long to soak, etc.

Silver1,

Depending on how much consumption your going through it migh be normal. However bear in mind that some Toyota engines were consider to be sludge monsters.

My buddy had a Camary V-6 that I heard the dealership would give the engine a flush at every 30K service. I must admit I was not a witness to this but that's what I heard. When I had my 89' Camary 4 banger I used Mobil 1 for a try out and I began to get leaks and consumption all the time and then all of a sudden the consumption stopped.

Perhaps a good engine flush is in order for your Corolla and then just use a good oil like PYB.

Durango

@jharring,

Sorry to hear that you have bought into someone's liability RE: oil burning issue.

Try soaking it with whatever, it won't cure the problem completely but "may" slow down the oil burning a bit.

The only way to deal with this matter properly is to pull apart the engine, scrape the ring lands on piston heads and clear the oil hole (replace with fresh new ring set, amongst other engine rebuilding procedures of course).

Good luck.

Q.

my youngest son has a 99 corolla with 235,000 miles he beats that thing every second each gear he revs it to the limit and it runs great. That engine was the last of the great toyota engines we never see them here for rebuilds. change the oil and run it hard that seems to keep the rings happy

I had a 00 celica with the same engine.. 1zz-fed. i owned it from 44K miles to around 133K miles. I would always put 4 quarts in and take out about about the same amount. I knew about the consumption so my interval was 3K-4K miles. i used whatever i got on sale. it's seen quaker state, kragen synthetic, Castrol, and shell. So I think as long as it's had regular changes less than 5K, it should be fine. i changed the valve cover gasket before i sold it and it was so clean.

I have been toying with the option of trying 0w20 in my 2001 this winter. The past few nights have been -15 and the 5w30 starts a bit slower than I would like. I understand it's far from recommended but I am sure tempted.

I have yet to find out why these years of Corolla were not back speced to 5w20 like the later ones with the same engine? Seems like a thinner oil might help with the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back