Oil mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If wanting a little "boost" to a basic synthetic oil, i.e bumping up the moly and adding a little ester to the base stock, would adding a qt. of Redline be of any benefit to the mix?

As oils are a mix of different things i would think it would have some benefit if the oil being added is a better quality than the stuff in the sump

Wether you or the engine would notice i am not so sure.

For the price of a basic synthetic oil and a quart of redline you probably could have just bought a top of the line synthetic to begin with... ie... M1 EP, Castrol 0w-30, or Pennzoil Ultra.

One would think that mixing oils isn't complimentary to each oils strengths however there are quite a few frankenbrew used oil analysis posted here that are stellar,so with that knowledge I doubt it will hurt anything

RL oils are primarily PAO based and their current reformulated street oils probably contain no more than 15% POE.
All PAO based oils contain some esters.
Adding a quart of RL to a GP III synthetic isn't going to add much ester but as you pointed out you would be likely be increasing the moly level but what you will be really increasing is the ZDDP level which is very high in RL oils.

So the primary benefit I can see in adding some RL would be to increase the ZDDP level of an OTC GP III oil if you think the engine would benefit from a higher AW level, that primarily being increased ZDDP.

BTW, my favourite RL grades are 0W-20, 0W-40 and 5W-50 for blending purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back