Lifting car with a crossbeam adapter on jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a crossbeam adapter for my floor jack advertised recently, and thought that it would be a neat way to lift one whole end of the car up at once. I'd likely position the jack far back, under the unibody rails or on the engine subframe mounting points. Then get the crossbeam adapter into place, and up that end goes! Then place jackstands without fighting the jack for room, and leave the jack in place for additional support. Any thoughts or suggestions about lifting a car like that?

My jack is a 2-ton jack, and neither car weighs more than 3300 lbs. Plus lifting half of the car at at time is well within the safe working range of that jack.

Other than a transmission adapter (maybe), I would never use any kind of "adapter" on a floor jack.

Lifting capacity isn't the question. Stability is.

Yeah ... that would be scary.I have a few jacks that would be able to lift up my Focus (3 ton floor jack), but it's footprint is only about 8'' x 30'' ... the car would be incredibly unstable.

I have one,and there is not many times it can be used.With the spread of it,you need 2 areas that are equal in height which is rare.Of course they have height adjustable pads,but its sort of a time consuming pain.I could see some use lifting front or rear,spreading the lifting force across the width of the vehicle,but once again,not every vehicle can be lifted that way.

i use one for my fwd cars, works well. That way i can lift both sides evenly and set them on the jack stands. The saturn and the hyundai have to be up on a few bricks or on ramps to get the jack with the crossbeam under it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
That sounds kinda swell but couldn't you do it with some 2x3 steel?

probably, if you weld a button, so that it does not slip off the jack. You could also screw in some off road pieces of tire for the pads. Mine is adjustable width, so that is an advantage over a piece of steel.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Other than a transmission adapter (maybe), I would never use any kind of "adapter" on a floor jack.

Lifting capacity isn't the question. Stability is.

Two chocked tires would stay on the ground at all times when using this. With the size of vehicle being talked about here, I don't think stability would be an issue with two tires on the ground while lifting from a single jacking point.

I jack each side of the car on the unibody rails as it is. This seems like it would be an easier/gentler alternative to lifting each side of the car by itself.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
provided, you are on a level surface, stability should not be an issue.

True. I assumed this would be a given. Silly me.

All the cars I have worked with have a single jacking point at the front and rear of the vehicle to lift the whole front or rear simultaneously.

I would check your owners manual and/or factory service manual where this lifting point is. No need for crossbeam adapters.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

That reply was meant for paulo57509

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi

That reply was meant for paulo57509

Take a look at a two-point lift bumper jack, for instance. Note the foot print directly under the lift points. Compare it with the foot print of a typical floor jack.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
All the cars I have worked with have a single jacking point at the front and rear of the vehicle to lift the whole front or rear simultaneously.

I would check your owners manual and/or factory service manual where this lifting point is. No need for crossbeam adapters.

Same here. I'm a little confused as to why something like this would be needed. Are there actually cars that don't have a central jacking point even in the front?

Originally Posted By: rationull

Same here. I'm a little confused as to why something like this would be needed. Are there actually cars that don't have a central jacking point even in the front?
Yes, Hyundai Accent Hatchback 2008 series. Dumb design oversight. Otherwise a good car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjcride

Yes, Hyundai Accent Hatchback 2008 series. Dumb design oversight. Otherwise a good car.

No central jacking point in the front, rear, or both?

On the Neon I just used the body side of the front engine mount with a small piece of plywood as it happened to be in the middle at the front of the motor
On the back I put a 1' long piece of hardwood floor sideways on the jack to line up with the frame between the lower suspension links. The part was only a boxed section a couple sheet metal layers thick so I thought to spread the load.
What I do for autocross to change tires fast, is just jack up the whole side on the front side jacking point. Probably both cars have a stiff enough rear suspension to do this as well. Just make sure your jack can roll forwards and back easily to avoid folding the pinch weld.

When a car has a place and is small enough I may use that point to jack. Mostly, though, I'm good enough not to have to worry about it. Jacking each side is just the way it's done.

also 2nd Gen Dodge Neon(200-2005), according to the manual, the ONLY jack points are along the side pinch welds.they have indicators stamped into them showing the "safe" area. about the size of your standard trolley jack head.
still trying to figure out a good alternate so i can put jack stands in Those locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back