suggestions for a home primary/standby generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
45kw would run the whole unit, like all 5 of them.

using a gas gennie to run heat when it's that cold outside is kinda hard. if you are running the heatpump, it won't cope at 20F and will move to heat strips, which will slam the genset unless you keep the t-stat at something like 45F. using space heaters, they pull a lot of juice.... so you are limited to triage--- heat the bottom floor and let whatever can rise do so. other fuel sources may work better. I know that our burn rate on my 3kw gets pretty thirsty when running a space heater.

you can start with a portable and maybe a custom extension cord---- heavy gauge, provide power strategically where you want it... a quad box in the kitchen, a quad in the basement, and maybe the end goes to the top floor for lights. It'd be a long run so you'd want to size the gauge properly. maybe use 2 to manage your loads/ratings properly.

or have a nice transfer or isolation switch (cheaper) professionally installed with the outdoor hookup.

also consider the logistics of maintaining fuel storage and seasonal rotation.

When I lived in MD I started to build a genset--- at my townhome. was doing it under the stairs where the HOA wouldn't see it.
smile.gif
. Never finished it, but I knew the HOA would be concerned about things being visible.

I would also suggest looking at inverter units. they are significantly more efficient when the loads are smaller, and much more quiet. If you run a jackhammer all night long to keep your home warm, your very close neighbors will be listening to it all night, both cold and annoyed. A 3k will comfortably power one space heater on high, or two on low.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sifan
I am not sure if LP is a cheaper energy source than electricity, but worry about gas explosion or poisoning inside the home.
Have no fear. I've lived in houses with gas heat and appliances for the last 44 years and only twice have I ever smelled a gas leak and both times they were at the meter, not inside the home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back