2002 Elantra GT. What ATF and P/S ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My girlfriend got a 2002 elantra Gt with 181k miles on there.

I changed all fluids, I didnt know what to use for PowerStreeing or the ATF.

I got Maxlife ATF, it had all the Hyundai specs in the back.
Only other thing walmart and autozone had were castrol or supertech. Anybody had bad results with it on a hyundai?

Power steering i have no idea what to use. the cap didnt have the spec on there, only thing I found that may be suitable was o prestone Asian vehicle.
I didnt know if hyundai was special like Honda that need thicker fluid or not.

Thanks

Last edited:
I used to have an 05 Elantra. For the tranny, I would stick with OEM Hyundai SPIII. These transmissions are fragile and you can't go wrong with the genuine stuff.

For PS, I used Royal Purple EZ Synthetic PS fluid. It helped quiet down the groaning PS pump that is common with these cars; good stuff.

Last edited:
A response based on researching fluids for a friend's 2006 Kia Sedona:

As with the matching Hyundai vehicles, Kia vehicles of a few years ago seem to use rather generic fluids. While there are no guarantees, SPIII may be no more than Dexron III. When the transmission in the Sedona noted above began slipping during upshifts at the 110,000 mile mark (dealer serviced until then, with of course no transmission fluid changes since new), I immediately swapped in MaxLife. Within a few miles of driving the slipping was gone. 40,000 miles later the transmission is still okay. Would new SPIII fluid have done the same? Perhaps; there's no way to know. I used the MaxLife because I like the way it works in the notoriously weak transmission of my 2001 Honda Odyssey (another transmission where until recently 99.9% of forum posters predicted transmission mayhem if anything but genuine Honda fluid was used). It's difficult to not have suspicions that some of the "weak/fragile transmission" issues don't have a link to unsatisfactory OEM transmission fluids.

The power steering fluid reservoir in the Sedona has since the transmission episode been periodically drained and refilled using Dexron III. Still works great, hot or cold (cold here being well below zero at times). The cooling system has been treated to occasional drains and refills of the generic green stuff, as specified in the manual.

As a side note, I made a slight misstatement when I made the comment above about dealer servicing. I've been changing the engine oil and filter since about the 40,000 mile mark. Time pressures wouldn't allow an appointment with the dealer, so I pulled the drain plug and filter. The oil didn't look bad, but the filter was black and crusty. There was no conclusion possible other than the dealer's technician's had not been changing the filter (an easily accessible cartridge type), though of course the work record billed for the filter each time. Since that time, I've changed the oil at 5,000 mile intervals and the filter every 10,000. The filter has looked nearly new at each change.

As a side-side note, the transmission in my 1994 Chrysler minivan still shifts like new in spite of having a failure-prone reputation. Perhaps it's still going strong because early in its life the much improved ATF+4 fluid was swapped in. Just another anecdotal reference to the possible benefits of good fluids.

I had an '04. MaxLife made for smoother shifting. Especially when cold. It meets the Hyundai specs.

I also used MaxLife P/S. I did annual D&F's on it. Worked great,

It ended up being a really good car to us It died an early (140k) death with a meeting with a guardrail.

Which type of Castrol did you see?
Castrol Import Multi Vehicle will work in SP-III transmissions.

You would need to read your owner's manual to know if ATF or PSF is what is needed. I'm sure at the age of your car, the fluid is so dirty, that you don't know what color it used to be.

If ATF is what is needed, use Castrol IMV in both the transmission and power steering.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
I had an '04. MaxLife made for smoother shifting. Especially when cold. It meets the Hyundai specs.

I also used MaxLife P/S.

+1 same here. Been using Maxlife in both Hyundais in recent years with no issues.

Both autos shift like new, although the Accent jerks a little when cold.
My Elantra has electronic assisted P/S (no pump or fluid), but the Accent works well with Maxlife.

Thanks all,

No owner manual was supplied with the car so I had no idea what kind to use beside SPIII or newer.

I had no idea Maxlife had power streering. I am going to try find that for cheap otherwise go I am going with prestone.

I dont want to spend too much money on this car because i am actually afraid its going to break down in the near future, it has HORRIBLE leaking issues from engine and tranny. But of course, if i dont adress the dirty fluids , it may just die of that.

Thanks guys, going to change everything to maxlife and have my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back