Do you ever clean your throttle body?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious is there ever a good reason to take it off the car and clean it as a pm thing? I'm bored and snowed in so maybe I can do some extra maintenance ? What are benefits of cleaning it real good?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
What are benefits of cleaning it real good?

As opposed to cleaning it half-arsed?

"If it ain't broke don't fix it." (Applies especially to cold hardened rubber and plastic pieces)

Unless your having an issue that you think it is the cause of, I wouldn't touch it. I would think it would need to be severly dirty before causing any issues. Even then.. The computer will compensate fuel/air mixtures as more crud builds on the throttle body. I would acctually only clean it if it were sticking.. I would also try to avoid taking it off to clean it.

Last edited:
This is a good post. I've pondered the same question for a while now. I don't see any harm in cleaning a non drive-by-wire TB. With DBW, I've heard of people getting check engine lights that require various re-learn procedures to clear. If that doesn't work, you have to pay the dealer to use their fancy computer to clear the codes. It's a double-edged sword because TB gunk build up often causes a rough idle and engine misses.

I've had two vehicles in the past that I had to clean the throttle body because the butterfly valve would stick. Both of these vehicles, a Saturn and Isuzu pickup, had the gas pedal and butterfly valve attached by a cable. I feel dumb explaining that, but they weren't 'drive by wire' as most newer cars are today. Anyhow, you could physically feel the pedal stick when first depressed. A quick shot of BG throttle body cleaner would would remove the built up carbon around where the valve would seat. So, there is benefit to cleaning it. Nothing performance wise, it was just annoying.

The benefits of a clean throttle body is smoother air flow with less turbulence.

Clean engines always produce more power and get better fuel mileage.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I've had two vehicles in the past that I had to clean the throttle body because the butterfly valve would stick. Both of these vehicles, a Saturn and Isuzu pickup, had the gas pedal and butterfly valve attached by a cable. I feel dumb explaining that, but they weren't 'drive by wire' as most newer cars are today. Anyhow, you could physically feel the pedal stick when first depressed. A quick shot of BG throttle body cleaner would would remove the built up carbon around where the valve would seat. So, there is benefit to cleaning it. Nothing performance wise, it was just annoying.

I used to do this and also clean carbon out of my EGR valve about once a year. Something has improved lately though either in my motor oil or the gasoline (suspect gas, as I've always used "good oil") that means I don't have to as much anymore.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
The biggest impact I had when cleaning the TB was smooth idle.

99 maxima, cleaned at 70k and 90k, now has 146k.
had bad idle b4 the cleanings

If u use MMO , u will not have to clean anything,,,squeaky clean all the time,,,,here we gooooooooooooooooo

A lot of vehicles with electric throttles have problems with the throttles crudding up and not working.

I will be cleaning the one on my Focus in the spring.

Might be a Saturn thing, but cleaning the throttle body helped my SL1 quiet down from intermittent high idle. It was part of the usual idle-control/boost mpg regime known to Saturnites: ECTS, t-stat, IAC valve, throttle position sensor---and spray the heck out of the TB with brake cleaner.

That worked for my Saturn, but I can't say for sure how much cleaning the TB helped, compared with replacing stuff. I would say go ahead and do it, if you have any high idle or sputtering issues.

Never touched a TB or thought much about it before I bought a Saturn, though. These are fun cars.

I guess if one is worried about junk in a throttle body, we all should clean the bottom of our shoes if one wants to think about what we walk through each day,,now theres a thought for you,lol

It's not dirt that gums them up. It's the carbon and gunk from the PCV system. Here is a place that the catch cans will help.

Yes. Never removed from car, though.
Made no difference in many cars, exception being it cleared a code on my sister's 4runner (the reason that maintenance was performed).

I've tried a few times but honestly, nothing has ever been that dirty.

I don't consider a haze of carbon to be enough of a detriment to cause running issues. If you have a noticeable lip of build-up or something, I would probably consider it.

I've tried cleaning our vehicles with 385,000 miles, 85,000 miles, and 130,000 miles and frankly, there wasn't anything there worth cleaning.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
I use seafoam spray twice a year. Safe for all TB.

Do you spray it down and let it sit or wipe it down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back