Yamaha 110 dirt bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has a Yamaha TTR110. The previous owner run 10w30 in the winter, and 10w40 in the summer. Wouldn't it be better to run 10w50 year round because it covers a wider temperature range? Also, who manufactures Yamalube?

Last edited:
Isn't 10w-30 the recommended grade? If so, I'd probably just stick with it year round. But 10w-40 should work fine, too.

I've read somewhere that CITGO makes Yamalube, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Yamalube, 10w-30 or 20w-40
API service SG type or higher, JASO standard MA
0.85 US qts.

Rotella 15w-40 (which is JASO MA rated) would be a good low-cost, yet perfectly suitable selection.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Rotella 15w-40 (which is JASO MA rated) would be a good low-cost, yet perfectly suitable selection.

This is exactly what I run in my sons TTR110

I have run both Rotella and Amsoil 10W40 in ours. Both worked just fine, its not like it is a high strung 250 or 450. They are bullet proof, but I have noticed shifting can get a little notchy with some oils.

I was just wondering if it is okay to use the Rotella Synthetic 5-40 oil even though the owners manual for a 2011 Yamaha TTR-110 says not to use CD rated diesel oils. If I am not mistaken, the Rotella Synthetic is CD rated but also MA rated...what gives? I have been using the Rotella in my Honda Rincon for a couple of years now with no problems. Is there a reason that the Rotella wouldn't work?

Nope. Rotella will work fine. The CD statement has caused confusion for years. I think what they mean is don't use anything rated CD or lower. Rotella is up to CJ IIRC. I have been using it for about 10 years now, prior to the JASO MA rating and have had no oil related issues.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
That gearbox will eat a wide spread like a 10w50 for lunch!

1)Don't fear the shear...

2)Widespread???

An oil rated 10w50 does not mean "wide spread" because technical
speaking the first number "10" and the letter "W" in 10w50 have no
reference to viscosity... it is only a relative test number which
basically indicates how easily it will allow an engine to "turn over"
at low temperatures. In other words, a 10w50 is NOT a 10 weight oil in
cold temperatures and a 50 weight oil in warm temperatures... rather a
10w50 actual viscosity is measured at 120 cSt at 104F (40C) and 18 cSt
at 212F (100C) that means the oil was heated to 212ºF (100ºC) and it
flowed within a certain kinematic viscosity which is then classified
as SAE grade "50" in 10w50...

API ranks the first number 10 and the letter W from the oldest to the
newest on its ability to lube your engine during critical start up

20w

15W

10W

5W

0W

If you wish to employ the latest in oil technology then you want an one with an API
rank of 0W...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BradleyB
says not to use CD rated diesel oils. If I am not mistaken, the Rotella Synthetic is CD rated but also MA rated...what gives? I have been using the Rotella in my Honda Rincon for a couple of years now with no problems. Is there a reason that the Rotella wouldn't work?

API rating CD was introduced in 1955 and is currently obsolete

Quote API CD
"Service typical of certain naturally aspirated, turbocharged or supercharged diesel
engines where highly effective control of wear and deposits is vital, or when using fuels
with a wide quality range (including high-sulfur fuels). Oils designed for this service
were introduced in 1955 and provide protection from high temperature deposits and bearing
corrosion in these diesel engines."

If you wish to run a diesel oil in your motorcycle then I recommend one with an API
rating CH-4 or higher because it is formulated for "high speed" (what ever that means in
a diesel) I hope it means some kind of anti-foaming agent for high rpms...

Quote Api CH-4
"CH-4 Severe-Duty Diesel Engine Service This service oils are suitable for high
speed, four-stroke diesel engines designed to meet 1998 exhaust emission standards and
are specifically compounded for use with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to
0.5% weight. CH-4 oils are superior in performance to those meeting API CF-4 and API CG-4
and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back