2013 Ducati MTS, Amsoil MCF 10W40,4679mi - High AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: benjy
... IMO vic's 20-40 semi-syn is an overprice + underperforming oil for sure in the 106" air-oil cooled monster!!

Hey Benjy. . .I'm also in PA and new to the Victory brand. I have a 2013 Cross Country Tour that I currently use Victory oil in. Was just wondering, have you done any UOAs on the Vic oil? I'm approaching 4500 miles on this OCI of Vic oil and will be changing it within a week or so and will be doing a UOA on it. Personally, I haven't noticed any difference in engine sound / transmission behavior over the life of this OCI. The engine has no unusual start-up noise and the tranny shifts like it always has. I have noticed the engine smooth out considerably over this OCI and it pulls like a freight train--I'm really enjoying this bike!

Originally Posted By: quarterliter
Those extended OCIs early in an engines life with all the break in wear and engine paste floating around are reckless. Cheap rotella 15w40 changed very often a (few hundred miles after startup) and then gradually increasing it as break in declines would be what I would do. And even if those crazy Italians say a 7500 mile OCI is okay, don't believe them. That's crazy in a shared sump, semi high performance engine.

If assembly lube ("engine paste") does anything, it adds extra moly or etc. The factory sets a 600 mile first service then the next is 7500, 15,000, etc. Valve clearance check/adjust at 15,000mi intervals.

For the record, here is the oil change history:

600 miles........ 15W50 synthetic + OEM filter (dealer)
1200 miles....... Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 (owner)
2950 miles....... Amsoil MCF 10W40 + K&N kn-153 filter (owner)
7629 miles....... Amsoil MCF 10W40 + OEM filter (dealer w/ owner supplied oil)

The last entry is the 7500mi service visit when the sample for analysis was captured (mid-stream during oil drain).

Originally Posted By: sunruh
+57billion on 1/4L statement

Is speaking in code supposed to add to your credibility somehow?

Assembly paste it plugs things up, like oil filters and filter screens. Still 4500 or so miles on oil in a shared sump engine that is still slightly breaking in is stretching it. I think you would be better off buying a cheap oil and changing it very often (HDEO) than getting an ester base and running it 7500 miles like you previously stated.

Originally Posted By: quarterliter
Assembly paste it plugs things up, like oil filters and filter screens. Still 4500 or so miles on oil in a shared sump engine that is still slightly breaking in is stretching it. I think you would be better off buying a cheap oil and changing it very often (HDEO) than getting an ester base and running it 7500 miles like you previously stated.

I've stated that here soooooooooooo many times, I'm about to quit it. But I 100% agree quarterliter. ABSOLUTELY!!

It doesn't matter what kind of bike you have, how many miles are on it, how new or how old it is......you're ALWAYS going to be better off running dino SuperTech for 1200 miles than Ester-based super duper bike oils for 5-8k miles. EVERYTIME.

Changing oil on a bike is rewarding, it's fun, and it's a good idea. Bikes chew up oil fast. Bikes rev hard. They get hot. They are abused.

You couldn't get me to run ANY of my bikes over 2k mile OCI's

Last edited:
My Duc doesn't get hot. Liquid cooled plus oil cooler. Coolant temps from 143 - 168 F rolling, never beyond 212 F long idles in traffic middle of summer. On average, seems to run cooler than some cars. I have one of those infrared pistol style touchless thermometers. Have taken engine surface temps. The verticle cylinder which is usually the one to run hotter on twins, same temp as the horizontal one. Never got a reading above 200 F for either cylinder this past summer, with the infrared.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
with a flash of 370 you have MORE than a TRace of fuel.
and that would affect the susvis.

imho with only your 2nd fill you havent flushed enough of the breakin crud out. i would have been on my 3rd or 4th oci by now.

all in all, i wouldnt worry at this point as several above have said.

steve

Exactly this. Terry has shown when B./S. says trace, there is some % of fuel, and if the bike was hot before the sample there must have been a LOT of fuel at some point.

Add a qt or two of 20-50 to the mix and its good for 4000 mi. Thats what it takes
for my Can Am, depending on brand of oil. Otherwise it sheared way down just like the Guru's say it will, into the low low 30's.

Why spend spend those kind of dollars on a synthetic that your going to change at 3000 miles.
I'm using conventional rotella 15w-40 in my Harley. It's got 106 S&S big bore,dyno tuned. 107hp/115tq.
That being said rotella performs just as well at 3000 miles as redline and motul did,and my shared sump bike just love the stuff.
My days of paying big bucks for bike oils are over. Rotella conventional is great stuff,and cheap so short oil runs aren't as wallet lightening.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Exactly this. Terry has shown when B./S. says trace, there is some % of fuel, and if the bike was hot before the sample there must have been a LOT of fuel at some point.

Blame the lab, blame the bike, blame anything except the oil? Oh come on.
28.gif

I doubt that Blackstone is too far off on fuel content / flashpoint. If you read the explanation about how they do those tests, there isn't a lot of room for error. I'd rule out lab error in this case. It's odd that the flash point is so low with only trace amounts of fuel. Bad batch of Amsoil?. . .anything's possible.

The bike? Some bikes really chew up oil, but your Ducati seems worse than most based on this single UOA. I'd like to know what makes your Ducati worse than other bikes in that regard. . . .is it more gears / chains chewing up the polymers in the oil?. . .higher sustained RPMs?. . .hot spots in the engine? What's the sump-size? Is it shared sump?

Then you have to figure in ambient temps to an extent. . . even though it's liquid-cooled, hot temps with stop / go operation can take it's toll on oil. . .lots of variables.

It should be interesting to see how your next OCI measures up compared to the Amsoil. Can't wait to see it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back