O'Reilly's MicroGard filters? Who Makes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious who makes these filters.

The base suggests MotorCraft. However the can has traditional knurled edges whereas 'MotorCraft' branded filters have a tighter 'serated' edge for grip. Store personnel told me it was Wix. I think I recognize the numbering scheme as being 'borrowed' from Purolator. Can anyone verify the OEM on O'Reilly's MicroGard filters?

thanks,

Does the by-pass device look like Purolator? Interesting the sales person told you WIX. I noticed the MicroGard didn't have metal shavings around the outlet hole like Purolator Premium does.
Joe

Sorry I don't recall at all. I'm out of Purolators too so have nothing to compare to. They do not sell Purolators but they do sell Wix along w/ a few Delcos and Motorcrafts and Fram.

thanks,

Off topic: Go Spurs!

I never liked O'Reilly ever since her cow knocked over that lamp and burned down Chicago.

Actually, we're O'Reilly-free here in California, so I can't help you out, but you're on-target with your original comment. The base plate will spill the filter's secrets faster than a hooker begging for a meth fix. If you have local access to Napa Golds or CarQuest Premiums, they're also Wix's, so you can compare to those bases as well.

Here's a very sexy photo of a nude Wix showing its cooch:
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/napag2.jpg

Here's a peek-a-boo shot of a Champion base plate. Oooo, Baby.....Pose for me, baby....You know I like it like that....
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/stp2808-2.jpg

Hmmmmm.....I'm not sure what this orange thing is, but evidently it plopped out of a horse's cornhole:
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/fram3593-1.jpg

Lastly, I don't have a Purolator photo handy, but their baseplates are said to have eight round medium-sized inlet holes and six large crimps holding the gasket in place. The Motorcrafts evidently have six (???) rounded-rectangular inlet holes.

[ October 24, 2003, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

Thats Mrs. OLEARY to you. Get off the computer and get out the bucket, its your state that is burning down.
grin.gif

O'Leary....O'Reilly....they all sound the same to me. And besides, we all know it wasn't a cow anyway. It was clearly Libyan terrorists...or maybe Illinois separatists..? Maybe a terrorist cow. Yeah, that's it. A freakin' cow wearing a red headband and screaming somthing 'bout Allah.

[ October 24, 2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

You're killin' me there TC! Thanks for the links. I'm 'thinkin' now it was a Wix afterall. Now I'm flying purely on memory but except for the shape of the holes the wix and motorcrafts sure seemed similar according to my so so memory.

thanks again,

If they're repackaged Wix filters and they're occasionally on sale, grab 'em faster than Nick Nolte can grab a coke straw! They're one of the better filters out there, and certainly one of the best in terms of quality of construction.

I just bought two of the microguard for my Tacoma and the store manager said they were made by Purolator.

They seem to be very well made when compared to the Wix that I normally use. I always change the filter at 3-4000 miles so I figure I'd save a couple of bucks on the microguards.

I was in the local OReilly's again yesterday to check on license plate frames (We have a new law that says frames cannot in ANY WAY obscure the state etc. Can't even clip off a fraction of the bottom or top of the letter).

Anyway I asked another guy that was stocking fresh MG oil filters what they were and he said he thought they were Purolators. I looked at teh bases of 4 random filters and they ALL had OVAL holes.

The only domestic brand I'm aware of with oval holes are Motorcrafts, which in turn are usually/always made by Purolator, correct? Not sure what that's about since the Motorcraft line seems fairly limited, focusing mainly on Ford products. I wonder why they just didn't stick with Purolator construction instead of evidently using Motorcraft construction..? An enigma wrapped in a riddle...spiced with sweet-n-sour sauce.

Indeed it is. I have no idea who makes Motorcrafts but I'll take your word for it. They do NOT have the knurled edges like the motorcrafts - see my initial post above... Next time I need some oil filters (which won't be for a while - I'll make it a point to pick up theirs (they are regularly 2.99 and sometimes on sale) and see what I see upon closer inspection.

O'Reilly MicroGard are made by Purolator, which is obvious when looking at the back plate design being composite steel/aluminum. They are Purolator right down to the center thread size stamped into the back plate.

They are definitly not WIX/NAPA Gold.

BTW Motorcraft filters are also made by Purolator. They are actually said to be a PurOne cartridge in a motorcraft spec housing (correct by-pass valve design is critical on Fords) made by Purolator. The aluminum/steel back plate again is s dead give-away. Only Purolator uses this design.

[ November 07, 2003, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

Thanks - the the Purolator-Motorcraft connection also clarifies the oval holes I was seeing in the MGs too.

FYI I have an old ACDelco PF-25 - it too has an aluminum ring on it's steel base - the aluminum 'crimps' the seal in place much like (though not identical) the Purolator/MG/MCraft.

They are jsut re-packaged Purolators, so what's the big deal???
quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Bill O'Reilly is selling oil filters now? The d^mn books and other garbage he pushes isn't enough?

lol.gif

How well do the Oreilly filters stack up against other cheap house brands such as SuperTech? Are these better or worst than the SuperTech filters?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jagger
How well do the Oreilly filters stack up against other cheap house brands such as SuperTech? Are these better or worst than the SuperTech filters?

They are made by Fram now. I don't see any issue for 3-5K miles. I have one my in law's truck. It's hard to compare them to ST since ST is made by Champs and Microguard is made by Fram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back