2015 Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I liked all views of it, with the exception of the rear 3/4 view. It kinda looks Euro from that view for some reason. Not that it's a bad thing, just not quite... American. That's my only niggle, and I'm a lousy judge of taste/fashion.

It really looks great to me. I know the best-selling drivetrain will be a V8, if only for the sound; but to me it looks like it should have some high-winding mills too--that sloping rear window leaves me thinking it needs something that likes being wound out.

I like the front and love the ridges on the side of the front fender. I reserve judgement on the rear end until I see it in person. In some photos it looks ugly. I wonder what the performance of the turbo 4 cylinder will be? 25 years ago, turbos were very iffy on reliability, but oil and times have changed.

They ditched the solid rear axle
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Burt
I like the front and love the ridges on the side of the front fender. I reserve judgement on the rear end until I see it in person. In some photos it looks ugly. I wonder what the performance of the turbo 4 cylinder will be? 25 years ago, turbos were very iffy on reliability, but oil and times have changed.

I think it's supposed to be a 2.5 EcoBoost. The 2.0 EcoBoost engine is pretty reliable and powerful. I imagine a 2.5 (which is the same family as the 2.0) would be just as reliable.

Would definitely have a better weight balance.

Overall, I like it....but I don't like the headlights. I've never been a fan of projector lights...they look too "beady" or like the eyes of some sort of evil robot from science fiction...think "The Terminator" without his human skin.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
frown.gif

How is that a bad thing? With the panhard rod the car exhibits different handling characteristics depending on which direction your maneuvering the car in. Yeah, you can install a watts link, but even then it won't deal with less than perfect surfaces as well as an independent rear setup.

I get that the solid rear performs fine in a steril environment, but an independent rear is going to be an improvement in ways that a vast majority of buyers will appreciate.

The reason the new Mustang might "look euro" is that for the first time it will be sold by Ford in Europe

Not with the big V8 engines, we will only get the Ecoboost engines

It's a good-looking car, but you can hardly see it's heritage. And, it looks like a Japaneses car inside. To me consoles are the sign of poor dash design. It also looks too Euro for my taste.

I wish it were smaller. Looks like a porker. More like the size of a FRS/BRZ but with the V8 in there.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: Miller88
frown.gif

How is that a bad thing? With the panhard rod the car exhibits different handling characteristics depending on which direction your maneuvering the car in. Yeah, you can install a watts link, but even then it won't deal with less than perfect surfaces as well as an independent rear setup.

I get that the solid rear performs fine in a steril environment, but an independent rear is going to be an improvement in ways that a vast majority of buyers will appreciate.

I dono - the latest Mustang, with the solid axle out handles the Camaro, Challenger, and many other cars with IRS setups. On both the road and track. I guess that's the advantages of nearly 50 years of R&D.
smile.gif
Most reviews and such say they can't believe how well the solid axle handles.

It's not the first time IRS was on the Mustang - it was there in, I think the 99-02 Cobras.

And I like it - looks really cool. The interesting thing will be to see how the 2.3 Turbo performs - I suspect that will be a blast to drive. It would have also been cool to see them pop an Ecoboost 3.5 with the power dialed up to 11....

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I dono - the latest Mustang, with the solid axle out handles the Camaro, Challenger, and many other cars with IRS setups. On both the road and track. I guess that's the advantages of nearly 50 years of R&D.
smile.gif

It's not the first time IRS was on the Mustang - it was there in, I think the 99-02 Cobras.

And I like it - looks really cool. The interesting thing will be to see how the 2.3 Turbo performs - I suspect that will be a blast to drive. It would have also been cool to see them pop an Ecoboost 3.5 with the power dialed up to 11....

I want to separate two terms, handling and grip. Grip is obvious, how well the car sticks to the pavement. Handling is less obvious, it's the ease with which you can take advantage of the maximum grip a car is capable of.

The handling of the latest round of Mustangs has been great, no doubt. But most of the time when people make that statement they add "...great for a stick axle car." But the geometric limitations of a live axle linked to a panhard rod mean that its handling is always going to be less predictable than a similar quality independent setup.

You can bandaid it with stiffer springs and lower ride height, because the less you ask the suspension to articulate the less you're going to notice the odd handling characteristics.... but when you get down to it those traits are still there.

As far as grip goes, the Mustang is going to hang with the Camaro because of wide and sticky tires. The stick axle is less relevant here, especially in the environments they're testing these cars in... sterile race tracks without the same issues you'd see on your drive to work.

You can easily research this for yourself. Find some Mustang forums and read up on their preceived impact of the addition of a watts link. Most feel that it completely transforms how the car handles in a very positive way because it forces the rear suspension to articulate the same way in both left and right turns. As good as that setup is for current Mustangs, it still doesn't address the fact that a bump felt on one side of the car impacts grip on the other side.

So yeah, Ford has made it work well, but it's time for it to go.

I like it. I wish they moved away from that front-end look but I love the rear-end. IRS is a good thing, it will make the non-V8 models much more entertaining.

I think the front and sides are absolutely gorgeous. Not too keen on the rear view, but I wasn't with the last gen either and this resembles that.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: itguy08
smile.gif

I want to separate two terms, handling and grip. Grip is obvious, how well the car sticks to the pavement. Handling is less obvious, it's the ease with which you can take advantage of the maximum grip a car is capable of.

The handling of the latest round of Mustangs has been great, no doubt. But most of the time when people make that statement they add "...great for a stick axle car." But the geometric limitations of a live axle linked to a panhard rod mean that its handling is always going to be less predictable than a similar quality independent setup.

You can bandaid it with stiffer springs and lower ride height, because the less you ask the suspension to articulate the less you're going to notice the odd handling characteristics.... but when you get down to it those traits are still there.

As far as grip goes, the Mustang is going to hang with the Camaro because of wide and sticky tires. The stick axle is less relevant here, especially in the environments they're testing these cars in... sterile race tracks without the same issues you'd see on your drive to work.

You can easily research this for yourself. Find some Mustang forums and read up on their preceived impact of the addition of a watts link. Most feel that it completely transforms how the car handles in a very positive way because it forces the rear suspension to articulate the same way in both left and right turns. As good as that setup is for current Mustangs, it still doesn't address the fact that a bump felt on one side of the car impacts grip on the other side.

So yeah, Ford has made it work well, but it's time for it to go.

+1
I think its telling that Ford hasn't run an official time for a solid axle mustang on the Nurburgring. Its not an ideal surface and would show the difference independent suspension makes. Not that it really matters for driving on the street or even most tracks, but the IRS will make the ride a bit more composed over a railway crossing or even pushing a little on a highway and finding some patched pavement mid corner.
I like the rest of the car too, I wonder what trans they will have with which engines?

I think it looks fantastic. And I completely support the move to IRS. It will improve many aspects of the chassis, unsprung weight being a biggie here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back