Triumph 1yr/10,000 mile OCI on new Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Triumph has set the factory recommended OCI service at 10,000 miles on the Triumph Explorer (1215cc triple). And I thought Ducati was stretching it @ 7500.

What a beast of an engine on this bike!
I'm sure they have scientific data to support the extended OCI, but I'd half it at best if it's a shared sump bike and run a UOA.
I've found shift quality degrades too much after 2500 miles on pretty much any common sump bike I've owned and that's using dino HDEO.

10,000?!!? On a moto bike?? Sounds not to bad really. Considering Kawasaki wants a 7,500 OCI on their little KLX250 on a little 1 quart sump hahahahaha

OT: I've been away from bikes for a long time but I'm wondering if Triumph is designing and building it's own engines (in Britain) or are they using Japanese technology and manufacturing?

PS: I'd change the oil every 5K...oil is cheap...engines are not...

I am fairly certain the engines are Triumph designed and built

But would need to do some digging to confirm

On the subject of dino oil in a motorbike, haven't done that since my XBR500 back in '92.

My Yamaha X Max had a tiny sump capacity and I changed it out early due to there only being a hard to access screen filter, I ran it on Castrol oil which was I believe a semi synth.

There is an over lander bloke that goes from NA to the bottom of SA on tours in a Super Tenere I think, he ran it way in excess of the recommended interval on that journey several times and when the engine was stripped in a motorbike magazine the engine was almost as new, think he did something silly like 70/80k on it with something like 4 or 5 oil changes

Will do some digging and see if I can get more accurate details or indeed remember his name!

He was the bloke that used to go round the world all the time on Yamaha R1's

Hey LR long time no chat. Hope things are going well.
You sure that's not 10K km? I wouldnt go that long unless i was highway triiping and already well broken in in AND had a real tecnical syn in there. To many "ifs" I guess to make it happen. They eant a MA2 oil?

Last edited:
As hinted at above, does this bike have a shared sump? There is no way I would go beyond 5k miles on a bike with a shared sump..... Motor oil in a wet clutch and transmission tends to shear a ton in short order.

Post script........

Of course, Rick_A has shown us some of these oils can go 8k miles in a ST1100.

I just wouldn't do it in my bikes. I'll go 5k in my KTM950, but it hold 4 quarts

I have a Triumph Trophy that uses the same engine. Using the same oil as recommended by Triumph(full synthetic) in my Honda ST1100 the gear change is still great at 15,000kms intervals (Honda recommend 12,400 on normal oil) so no reason that the Triumph interval is too long.

10,000 mi/1 yr OCI...OUCH! my '06 Honda Shadow calls for 8,000 mi and its a common sump bike...I'm guessing Honda's aware that the transmission will tear apart the oil and shear the **** out of it; recommended oil is 10w-40 which I would guess would shear to a mid or low wt 30 near the end of an 8,000 mile OCI; I've decided to do 4,000 mi OCI's with leftover syn blend 10w-40 & HiFlo Filtro HF 204 filters; next year I'll start using Valvoline 10w-40 dino mc oil with the same filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back