Going through the car totaling process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a deal. My daughter's 10 year old corolla was smashed up due to other driver fault, but it's repairable. Needs new fender, lights, hood, condenser, bumper, radiator and some other minor parts. I would prefer to fix it rather than replace it. My preference is due to low miles, new tires, recent paint detailing, and top notch mechanical/electrical shape.

I'm going through repair estimate process right now. The shop produced an estimate that is near the 75% of car value, so it's possible that the other guy's insurance (USAA) is going to total it.

The shop "advised" me that if I pay them out of pocket a couple of hundred dollars, that will shift it under totaling and I will save the car from totaling. Are they crooks like I suspect?

BTW, I was shocked how much value was left in 10 year old corolla (near 40%)

Thanks!

Edit: will post pictures soon.

Last edited:
That shop sounds super shady. Either USAA determines to fix it or they don't. You shouldn't have to pay the shop a dime out of your pocket. In fact, whether it is totaled and you decide to repair it or if USAA opts to pay, I would find another, more reputable shop. If they are willing to be that shady on the front end who knows what kind of work they will ultimately give you?

Personally its in the shops interest to save your car even rather than let the insurance deem it a total loss. The repairs earn them alot more money than an inspection and writing it off. Personally, I would take the money and put it towards a newer Corolla or something else. I wouldnt pay an insurance company to repair a car that far messed up, you are only inviting more issues down the road. Although I understand where you are coming from but why bother if its a total write off?

Originally Posted By: SF0059
That shop sounds super shady.

That's what I thought, too. However, I just looked them up and they have A+ BBB rating with only one "closed" complaint in 3 years.

Originally Posted By: wkcars
Can you buy the car back from the insurance company if they total it?

Probably, I didn't ask. This is a major repair that I probably (maybe) could handle myself if I had tons of time and space, but I don't.

Originally Posted By: wkcars
Can you buy the car back from the insurance company if they total it?

And handle the repairs yourself, allowing you/her to pocket the labor costs?

I would only do that if you plan on running the car until it will not run anymore. Otherwise, you may have difficulties selling it later on.

Shady. I used to do auto liability.

That 75% is there for a reason. Historically, once you get to that level of damage you start seeing other problems manifest down the road, whether drivetrain, suspension or electrical. Although the later problems were caused by the impact, there is no way to prove (to the ins. co's satisfaction) that it was caused by the accident; this typically leaves the owner with a constantly recurring problem, or several small issues.

I'd total it out.

We need pics to better acess the situation. That and how many miles are on the car. You might be able to sell the tires (as in find someone else with a similar car who needs new tires swap wheels).

I am already assuming that it's driveable???

I wouldn't pay anything for an estimate. Why don't you just take it to another shop and ask them to give you their best price because you don't want it totaled. If you pay them a couple of hundred and it doesn't get totaled out, how are you supposed to get the car fixed because now the insurance company will give you less and the shop is probably going to want more to fix it.

BEFORE

photo_zps20db6419.jpg

AFTER

photo_zpsc8729a1b.jpg

Under 100,000 miles.

Hello, Total it and move on.
I say this because of what i've read here.
Even if you had room and time, finding front end parts would be near impossible. Good luck Kira

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I wouldn't pay anything for an estimate. Why don't you just take it to another shop and ask them to give you their best price because you don't want it totaled. If you pay them a couple of hundred and it doesn't get totaled out, how are you supposed to get the car fixed because now the insurance company will give you less and the shop is probably going to want more to fix it.

I'm not sure you understood right. The shop is not asking for a bribe, they want me to cover some of it out of my pocket, so the insurance part is under 75%. They stand by their estimate beside some minor errors I found. I called around and seems like the labor rate is the same in the whole town ($48). The car is not drivable, so it's not like you can take it easily to some other place.

I"m willing to bet that the unibody (frame) is bent or twisted by the looks of the photo. If they are willing to write it off take it.

yikes (the pic) I would just let it go, In my experience fixing something that has seen that much major repair will have trickle down side effects down the road.. save yourself the headaches and just take the money and apply it to a newer nicer lower miliage model.

If the roof is straight and the inner fenders are straight fix it, if you see anything wrong with the roof panel or the inner fenders are bent it will require some time on the frame machine to pull it back.
I recently repaired a focus that looked worse than that for about 3 grand, turned out nice.

The upper and lower frame rails on the left side are obviously bent, that car took a hard hit. You don't want it fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back