Why do people want to complain about dexos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Flareside302

All oil blenders are able to get the DEXOS testing and specs.. So they can test they're own oils before they submitted them for DEXOS approval.. So just because they didn't have GM test it, doesn't mean it doesn't exceed/meet..

Correct. And since GM doesn't REQUIRE the use of Dexos oils, they simply recommend it, they cannot deny warranty if you don't use it. This is quite different from a lot of Ford's verbiage stating that you must use an oil meeting WSS-xxxxxxx and that of many of the Euro marques that REQUIRE you to use an oil that is approved by them (and hence their approval lists).

Originally Posted By: stchman

Schaeffer "says" it meets the specs? Has it been tested to indeed mettt dexos specs.

It's kind of like getting pulled over by a cop having no drivers license. You can tell the cop you meet or exceed the expectations of your state's requirements.

It probably does, but does Schaeffer do anything at a greater prioce than licensed Mobil 1 does? No.

How times and users here have changed at BITOG. I highly doubt this would have been questioned about Schaeffer a few years ago at BITOG. Anyone who has dealt with Schaeffer knows that it is a top flight oil. And your worshiping at the holy grail of Mobil is showing.

GM already screwed me over big time with my Saturn, plus all that stuff that happened in 2008, so everything I have a chance to use something not actually approved by GM, I do so.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Anyone who has dealt with Schaeffer knows that it is a top flight oil.

While it may be the case, they've been known to be overly optimistic with some of their claims. For example, the TDS for their 9000 5w-40 oil states: "Supreme 9000 SAE 5W-40 is formulated to meet and exceeds... MB 229.5" spec. But then you look at its NOACK and you know it's not true. It may have been formulated to do XYZ, but it actually doesn't.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Originally Posted By: cp3
Please forgive me for not shedding a tear for the oil companies costs!

It would be interesting to see if the reaction would be the same if another manufacturer did the same thing. Or what the reaction was like when the API fee schedule was introduced.

7 cents a gallon isn't exactly exorbitant considering the up here you are looking at almost $50 a gallon for regular priced synthetic. It would be interesting to see the fee schedule and how it compares with the API's.

In 2011 Exon-Mobil made approximately $0.07 (YEP: that's 7 cents!) per gallon of gas delivered vs. an AVERAGE of $0.48 in combined fed & state taxes, per gallon.

Those "GREEDY" oil companies! BAD BAD BAD!!!

Well here, I'm paying approximately $0.38 per liter tax on gas but I'm still not sure what that has to do with dexos.

I never said the oil companies were bad or greedy, everyone has a right to make money. And with XOM's profits down almost 20% 2013 Q3 to 2012 Q3 to under $8 billion they clearly know how to.

No one has shown what the royalties actually are, $0.07/gallon may be accurate and it may not. No one has shown what the API royalties are, they may be more or less, I don't know. What I am confident in saying is that if either of these fees put one of the super-majors at risk, they will have no concern in passing that fee on to us, if they haven't already. I have no doubt they will continue on, dexos royalty or no.

I like Dexos.

I was finally able to convince my dad to switch from conventional to synthetic "because the manual says use dexos-rated oil". Now I know I will inherit a well-maintained engine, rather than a sludged-up mess (last car I got with lots of short trips).

Scary thought, almost like the commercial where Dad falls off the ladder while cleaning the gutters (but he's not hurt) and all the daughters are concerned about is whether Mom & Dad have "insurance, you know..." for all those pesky final expenses?

They ought to follow it with the "Have you ever thought about a reverse mortgage?" commercial...

Cheers!

p.s. Nuthin' wrong with inheriting a car: I got the 1971 Imperial LeBaron (440") in about 1978 and my brother still has the last car my mom had, a 1983 Coupe deVille (4.1l)

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

Schaeffer "says" it meets the specs? Has it been tested to indeed mettt dexos specs.

It's kind of like getting pulled over by a cop having no drivers license. You can tell the cop you meet or exceed the expectations of your state's requirements.

It probably does, but does Schaeffer do anything at a greater prioce than licensed Mobil 1 does? No.

How times and users here have changed at BITOG. I highly doubt this would have been questioned about Schaeffer a few years ago at BITOG. Anyone who has dealt with Schaeffer knows that it is a top flight oil. And your worshiping at the holy grail of Mobil is showing.

I am not "worshiping" Mobil Oil. My next oil change will be Pennzoil Platinum (got it at a good deal from AAP and Pennzoil gave me a $20 MIR). If I was such a Mobil zealot, I would not even consider Pennzoil.

I am going to use Pennzoil Platinum as it too is dexos licensed.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

All oil blenders are able to get the DEXOS testing and specs.. So they can test they're own oils before they submitted them for DEXOS approval.. So just because they didn't have GM test it, doesn't mean it doesn't exceed/meet..

Correct. And since GM doesn't REQUIRE the use of Dexos oils, they simply recommend it, they cannot deny warranty if you don't use it. This is quite different from a lot of Ford's verbiage stating that you must use an oil meeting WSS-xxxxxxx and that of many of the Euro marques that REQUIRE you to use an oil that is approved by them (and hence their approval lists).

Here is a direct clip of my owners manual:

Quote:

Notice: Failure to use the
recommended engine oil or
equivalent can result in engine
damage not covered by the
vehicle warranty. Check with your
dealer or service provider on
whether the oil is approved to the
dexos1 specification.

Sounds like GM requires you to use dexos oil. Since they are the maintainer of my warranty, I will abide by their requirements.

As far as who gets to determine what is equivalent I will leave that up to the manufacturer. I don't think that YOU get to determine what GM can or cannot do

IMO, an automobile is a VERY expensive purchase, why chance it on oil that makes someone "feel" good and not use what the manufacturer recommends?

Here is a direct clip of my owners manual:

Quote:

Notice: Failure to use the
recommended engine oil or
equivalent can result in engine
damage not covered by the
vehicle warranty. Check with your
dealer or service provider on
whether the oil is approved to the
dexos1 specification.

Sounds like GM requires you to use dexos oil. Since they are the maintainer of my warranty, I will abide by their requirements.

As far as who gets to determine what is equivalent I will leave that up to the manufacturer. I don't think that YOU get to determine what GM can or cannot do

IMO, an automobile is a VERY expensive purchase, why chance it on oil that makes someone "feel" good and not use what the manufacturer recommends?

Can you post the part where it actually recommends what to use? IE, if they recommend you use an oil that meets Dexos 1 or equivalent, then that's all you need to run: An oil that meets dexos 1 or equivalent. In doing so, you are using what they require
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: blackman777
I like Dexos.

I was finally able to convince my dad to switch from conventional to synthetic "because the manual says use dexos-rated oil". Now I know I will inherit a well-maintained engine, rather than a sludged-up mess (last car I got with lots of short trips).

If an engine is sludged up perhaps properly maintaining the engine could help.
If your dad is running longer than acceptable intervals with conventional why wouldn't he do the same with synthetic.
The more of your posts I read the more I want to read.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
An oil that meets dexos 1 or equivalent.

What would be a Dexos1 equivalent, just curious?

Probably an oil like Valvoline that says that it meets the requirements of Dexos 1 but isn't officially licensed?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
An oil that meets dexos 1 or equivalent.

What would be a Dexos1 equivalent, just curious?

Probably an oil like Valvoline that says that it meets the requirements of Dexos 1 but isn't officially licensed?
21.gif

Oh, got it. Thanks.

http://www.gm.ca/media/owners/manuals/2014_Chevrolet_Caprice_Police_en_CA.pdf

Quote:
Specification
Use and ask for licensed engine oils with the dexos1® approved certification mark. Engine oils meeting the requirements for the vehicle should have the dexos1 approved certification mark. This certification mark indicates that the oil has been approved to the dexos1 specification.

Quote:
Failure to use the recommended engine oil can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty. Check with your dealer or service provider on whether the oil is approved to the dexos1 specification.

Quote:
Viscosity Grade
SAE 5W-30 is the best viscosity grade for the vehicle. Do not use other viscosity grade oils such as SAE 10W-30, 10W-40, or 20W-50. Cold Temperature Operation: In an area of extreme cold, where the temperature falls below −29°C (−20°F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be used. An oil of this viscosity grade will provide easier cold starting for the engine at extremely low temperatures. When selecting an oil of the appropriate viscosity grade, always select an oil of the correct specification. See “Specification” earlier in this section for more information.

Quote:
Engine Oil
Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1® specification of the proper
SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is recommended.

Based on that last statement, a DEXOS 1 licensed product is REQUIRED in this application. Which I think may be different from the verbiage in earlier GM manuals.

This is very similar to what most of the Euro marques do (minus the royalties of course).

It is not the $0.07/gallon but the fee to originate the license that puts out the small and medium sized marketers. That fee is no sweat off the backs of Mobil or Castrol or Valvoline. Kudos to Valvoline, though, even though I am sure it was their self interest rather than their concern for the independent marketer that drove their resistance to the GM DEXOS racket.

My company blends a formula that has already been approved by GM... but that really doesn't matter because we do not sell enough synthetic engine oil to ever break even on a $20,000 licensing fee. That is unless we want to sell oil at a $2/qt premium. I mean, I guess it is our fault for not making the commitment to compete in the small-margin business of engine oils. But ask yourself - would you support your local/regional oil company if it costs you $2/qt to do it?

This is very similar to what most of the Euro marques do (minus the royalties of course).

That's the biggest thing, and GM shouldn't be allowed to do it. Even Porsche doesn't charge to carry A40 approval--and they charge people for everything! GM didn't charge for 4718M.

A spec should be just that--a spec. No royalty, no approval.

Maybe the fee is only there to help pay off those bailout loans? Of course, dexos is just a cash grab and not really important or particularly tough, and some people even consider it a downgrade step backwards from the free 4718M, which ST syn meets (says so on the bottle, but of course no mention of dexos)

I like the way Smitty's did it. Their dexos1 synthetic has the official GM dexos approval (royalty paid), but there's not even an API donut or ILSAC starburst! The label on the Smitty's dexos is ONLY the dexos logo with a very small SuperS logo in the corner.

Yeah API does charge fees, but they are extremely miniscule. I don't think ACEA even charges a fee at all.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
A spec should be just that--a spec. No royalty, no approval.

The Europeans have approvals, even if they don't charge for them. Nonetheless, GM isn't getting rich over this. It's a way for them to make pretty accounting for recoup on R&D.

If it were me, I'd prefer the actual dexos1 oil. Oil that is equivalent to dexos1 isn't going to be any cheaper. And, it's easy to say that GM still has to provide warranty. One certainly can fight that, and probably win. I bet it won't be cheap, though. At least with a real dexos1 oil, it's not questionable.

Engine failures aren't terribly common, though. Requirement of dexos1 or equivalent is to protect the engines, and by extension, GM's liability in the matter when it comes to warranty. I doubt GM is worried about people running Synpower. They might be a little more concerned about someone running a conventional for the full OCI, at least with respect to certain applications.

Gm has managed to get oil companies to put a GM trademarked spec on the front of each "Dexos" oil. It's like they are getting paid to advertise their own brand name. If they had some real foresight, they would have used a name that would have actually be identifiable to the majority of consumers as GM advertising. At least there isn't a "Heart Beat Certified" in a bowtie on each bottle. Then we could have a "Built Ford Tough" Spec, and a "Yeah, It's got a Hemi!" spec to boot...

Is part of the agreement that the Dexos spec has to be on the front of the bottle in the trademarked appearance?

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Gm has managed to get oil companies to put a GM trademarked spec on the front of each "Dexos" oil.

Maybe that's why it isn't the Bowtie or something like that.
wink.gif
They faced enough resistance as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back