Super Tech Oil From Wal Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: blackman777
And you're right the Walmart water is local junk, but that doesn't explain why all their other store-branded foods taste bad. Or Walmart-branded clothing falls apart... et cetera. I've learned when I buy subpar, I get subpar.

API/ILSAC certified oil probably undergoes more rigorous testing than our food does, and definitely more than our clothes do.

Originally Posted By: Garak
And you're right the Walmart water is local junk, but that doesn't explain why all their other store-branded foods taste bad. Or Walmart-branded clothing falls apart... et cetera. I've learned when I buy subpar, I get subpar.

API/ILSAC certified oil probably undergoes more rigorous testing than our food does, and definitely more than our clothes do.

I wonder how many people are doing "VOA" on their boxes of apple juice. I bet someone is doing it but I do not hear about it. Then I am not a member of "Johnny is the Apple Guy" forum.

Shhhhh, don't drink the water... fish have $ex in it.
wink.gif

As I said before, Walmart oil carrying an API or ILSAC starburst does not impress. As this list below shows, those specs are ridiculously easy for oil to pass, even the bottom barrel discount brands.

Realistically, has any oil sold in a national chain failed to pass API? Of course not; it's easy.

VW 507.00 (toughest)
MB 229.51
Dexos 2
BMW Longlife04
Ford M2C948

Dexos 1
ACEA2010 A5/B5
Renault 0700
Porsche A40
ILSAC GF5
API SN (easy)

As I said before, Walmart oil carrying an API or ILSAC starburst does not impress. As this list below shows, those specs are ridiculously easy for oil to pass, even the bottom barrel discount brands.

Realistically, has any oil sold in a national chain failed to pass API? Of course not; it's easy.

VW 507.00 (toughest)
MB 229.51
Dexos 2
BMW Longlife04
Ford M2C948

Dexos 1
ACEA2010 A5/B5
Renault 0700
Porsche A40
ILSAC GF5
API SN (easy)

What does the rambling you have done on this thread affect I.C. reliability in most of our daily drivers?

I would hope that national brands would pass an industry standard. That would be quite embarrassing. There are a few types that their starburst revoked, but not the national brands nor the Walmart/in-store brand. There are a few good "non-national" labeled brands. Keep in mind that the API is a "standard". It is just like a college diploma. You can get 'C's and get the degree or you can get all 'A's. In the end, both are college graduates. Sure, Supertech is not Redline, RP or Mobil1, but it is not the worst in the bunch either. If anything, it is a B student in an advanced class. It might be priced low, but it is a good oil.

And you are missing the giant flaw in your logic.

What are Walmart customers driving? Brand new Mercedes? Maybe a few, but I bet the bulk of their customer base drives older vehicles that were designed before current standards. I bet most would fall in the SJ-SM Category when built. Considering that many Walmart users vehicles were built before SN, using an SN oil is more than fine and does not have to be the current manufacturer's pay-us-money-or-else preferred list. Does my '99 Subaru need the 2013 new car standard? Heck no. Does having a better basic standard help? Sure. Supertech is SN/GL-5 and that is more than fine for the target consumer and even the informed consumer.

If you want to rant about where Walmart needs to improve quality, it is their Oil Filter options.

Last edited:

None of that matters a hill of beans to the average vehicle. I ran taxis millions of miles on SF rated 10w-30 (plus or minus an API rating or two depending on the year), which was nowhere near as advanced as a modern SN/GF-5 oil, let alone the other certifications you mention. For most people driving a vehicle calling for an SN/GF-5 oil, the Supertech will do just as well as anything else.

Would you buy a new North American or Japanese vehicle and ignore the manual recommendations calling for SN/GF-5 and buy a Castrol OE product that has no ILSAC specs whatsoever? You might, but I bet it won't make your vehicle last longer.

SN/GF-5 isn't supposed to impress. It just means the oil meets the standard. Comparing that to other specifications is problematic. The applications are different, and if you look at something like GF-5 versus VW 507.00, they are mutually exclusive specifications.

I agree that i wouldn't want to run a GF-5 oil for 30,000 km where a VW 507.00 or something similar were specified. But, I wouldn't want to run a VW 507.00 for a 5,000 km OCI, either.
wink.gif

40K on 2011 Ford Fiesta, regular diet of Mobil Super 5w-20 or Mobil 7500 5w-30. Highway driving only, 1800 miles in a weekend, wait one week, repeat. Change oil. Park car. Do it again in a month. (I commute across the country for one weeks worth of work, and then return home, love to drive.)

Car uses no oil. None. Collect Supertech 5w-20 synthetic, figure car wouldn't mind it.

It burned 1 quart in that same 3700 mile commute.

[censored] off at having to actually check the oil, and not believing it was USING oil, but rather burning it off for some reason. Change oil with "leftover bottle special" consisting of 1 qt leftover Supertech synthetic 5w-20, 1 qt Supertech conventional 5w-30, 1 qt Mobil Super 5w-20, 1.5 qts Pennzoil 10w-40.

Car didn't seem to care at all. Used no oil in the ensuing 3700 commute.

Currently have 2 GDI engined cars, want nothing to do with oils that might burn off at a higher rate than others.

QSUD 5w-30 is up next for the turbo-GDI (Juke) and MC 5w-20 will go into the Focus I replaced the Fiesta with. No more supertech for now, for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back