Land Rover Defender gearbox oil..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigjl
This forum has many more members in the US and Canada

I don't think they ever sold the Defender in the USA wether that be due to emissions or technical reasons I am unsure

It was sold here from 1993 to 1997, but a $40,000 bare bones utility did not compete well with Jeeps and other basic utilities costing less than half that. Very few were sold...as toys for the well-heeled...and it was Land Rover that pulled the plug on US sales, because the regulatory certification didn't make sense for the small number sold. I've seen a few...mostly in resort areas...including Virginia Beach.

What about BOT 402 which I think is the same as GM 88862472. It's a 75W-85 fully synthetic MTF, has a pour point of -45 and a flash of 220. It should be available at a local Opel dealer.

Last edited:
If you have a read of the info on the link i posted you will see the LT77 and the later R380 box are somewhat sensitive to lube specs.

If you use anything else the box can either explode as is the case with the LT77 or become more difficult to use for the R380

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
What about BOT 402 which I think is the same as GM 88862472. It's a 75W-85 fully synthetic MTF, has a pour point of -45 and a flash of 220. It should be available at a local Opel dealer.

The new manual gearbox is completely different and less fussy about oil

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

They may have put ATF in there for better cold weather shifting but ATF DOES NOT provide the Anti-wear protection that dedicated GL-4 MTLs do.

Here is out current list (updated) of 10.4 cSt oils:

G. The next group of MTL’s are in the 10.x cSt range are:

1. Redline MTL 75W80

2. Amsoil MTL (9.7 cSt)

3. GM Synchromesh’s

4. Volvo MTF 645

5. Ford Motor Craft XT-M5-QS

6. Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF

Not that it matters but #6 Fuchs is a GL-5 fluid. Their straight 75W is GL-4 unless it has changed in the last couple months.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
If you have a read of the info on the link i posted you will see the LT77 and the later R380 box are somewhat sensitive to lube specs.

If you use anything else the box can either explode as is the case with the LT77 or become more difficult to use for the R380

I did not catch that. So thin is in. There's always the BOT 303 which is used in the Cruze and is about as thin as you can get for a MTF.

Last edited:
Typical for UK engineered products.

Great ideas

Skilled engineers

But not enough investment so issues have to be dealt with without financial back up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back