REMINDER - Wear your Seat-Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wear mine and started wearing it way back in the 70s. My daughter back then wondered why I strapped her in and not myself.

Plus I was run off the road back in 1989 and my seatbelt kept me safely in the truck when it rolled over.

Good video!

I don't feel right seated in a vehicle without one. Just got used to it, since it's been mandatory in my area in the mid 1980's.

Last edited:
Only time I don't belt up is when I'm doing musical cars in the driveway, or on the (now) rare occasion that I'm stuck with a lapbelt. Otherwise it just doesn't feel right.

I survived a head on crash because of the seat belts and air bags

I was 'almost' in a head-on collision.
I swerved out of the way just in time.
His side-view mirror broke off my side-view mirror.
Can't get any closer than that.

I had to turn around and chase/catch-up with him to pay for damages.

He was slightly drunk. I was younger and nieve.
I never thought a person could be drunk on a Monday afternoon.

My older sister walked away without a scratch from somebody who made a left turn in front of her non-airbag car because of her seat belt. It was in a 45MPH zone. The other driver didn't have her seat belt, and broke out the passenger window with her head. Both cars were totalled. Other driver spent some time in intensive care having glass pieces removed from her skull, but she survived.

Been wearing my seat belt ever since.

5 point harness on. Still landed myself in a coma, but they said I probably would have flown out the windshield otherwise.

2.jpg

3.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

Buckle up, folks.

A friend back in middle school had a aunt die in accident. was winter car stop short she couldn't stop but had scrubbed speed. instead of hitting car she passed on gravel shoulder. Her car got sucked into snowfilled ditch do to slush on shoulder. 10mph tops, 3-4 witness said. no seatbelt, slides across bench seat nocked her head on door pillar, DOA. always always always buckle up.
she died and the car never got hurt, it was that soft of a crash.

ken

As a Canuck, I don't know of anyone that doesn't wear their seat belts any more. I had a friend in the 80's who drove large cars (Wildcats, LTD's, Cadillacs etc) and used to cut the belts out of his car, but he was more of an exception.
grin2.gif

I grew up in ND. It was one of the last states to adopt the seat belt law. My wife and I didn't start wearing them until we had kids (age 30). Our pediatrician asked, "is baby buckled in"? We said, "yes - of course baby is buckled in". He then asked, "is mom and dad buckled in"? We both looked at each other, dumbfounded. Dr. said, "it doesn't do any good to buckle baby in if mommy and daddy aren't also buckled in. From that day forward, we always buckled up.

In the 1960's, I remember my Father driving past a collison shop and pointing to a car and saying
"that's where their head hit the windshield".
Sure enough, you could see 2 busted areas in the windshield.
One for driver, one for passenger.

Last edited:
It's amazing what kind of fatalistic mentality we used to have, and how long it took to overcome it. And seeing the process it took to get here. I recall being told, don't recall when but it was probably in college, that it was a taxi cab driver, in the 60's or 70's, who started taking pictures of poorly designed road features. Like complete lack of guard rails, or bridge abutments that had no means to deflect cars from them, stuff like that--and presumably photos of the carnage that resulted.

It's easy to say, "don't drive into the ditch" or don't drive into a bridge column, or the like: but a few dollars worth of metal work can mean the difference between a fender bender and a death.

And of course, seatbelts are pretty cheap too, yet have pretty large return.

I was helping the wife move some junk out of her parents basement and had backed up to the basement doorway. Unfortunately I had forgot about a stump when I pulled out. I hit it only going 5 mph but being unbelted hit the steering wheel HARD! and ended up with a bruised sternum. Its amazing even at slow speed how fast the human body can move when hitting solid objects.

I never used to buckle up. Then I bought an 07 Civc that would not stop beeping until you strapped in. 115k worth of seat belt wearing in that car. Hahaha.

Now in wifeys 06 Scion tC the beeper beeps for 10 seconds and shuts up, so we stopped wearing our seat belts but definitely need to start. At least our 10 month old is strapped in properly but without mommy and daddy, it ain't a pretty ending, so this thread is a good reminder for us to use that belt hanging on the side
thumbsup2.gif

I always buckle up, even on my tractor as it has a roll bar.
I had a little off course excursion in the Neon that could've been fatal without a seatbelt, and I drove the car home...

Yah. my kids got me doing it. I put an 11 1/2 foot box truck under a 10 ' bridge. As soon as I realized what was doing, I floored it to get the truck out from under. The cop said I probably would have gone through the windshield if I had not been belted in. I noticed that in most car fatalities, it is a result of being ejected. Being belted in prevents ejection. It is that simple.

I always do. Once I had a major head on collision and had very minor injuries like cuts and bruises. Sadly, my passenger undid her belts shortly before collision for some silly reasons and she ended up in an ICU for a month. She barely survived.

Wait, are BITOGers in agreement with a nanny-state mandate?

shocked2.gif

Helmets for motorcycles, bicycles, skiing/snowboarding, etc? Some people still fight those
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back