2003 Lincoln Aviator Tranny Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend we went to Minneapolis to see a Bears at Vikings game. Driving to MN was a piece of a cake. As soon as I strated driving in the city. My O/D and check transmission light came on. My SUV would rev up so high at the 3-4 rpms while it was under like 15 mph. Then my chexk engine light came on. As soon as the game was over I took it to an oreillys and it threw one code. P0775.

Does anyone have any experience feedback with these type of SUV and the 5R55E overdrive automatic

Has it had any transmission maintenance? Some drain/fills and replacing the trans filter may make a world of difference. Maybe add some Lubeguard to it. Report back.

Last edited:
What is the maint history? Two of the reasons for a P0775 are low or dirty ATF.

I had a similar problem in my Jeep with pressure sensor and pressure governor. They replaced both and problem went away.

I don't think you have a 5R55E, you have a 5R55W. They have a number of differences, so it's important to know exactly which 5R you have, as there are a few. I'm 99.9% sure an Aviator will have the W though.

It may just be the solenoid pack going bad. They are sold for a couple hundred bucks as a unit (the 5R55E has individually replaceable solenoids). You can find them all over the place online. eBay, Rockauto, anywhere that sells valve bodies. It's a common failure on these transmissions.

The transmission may be done for though. The pan needs to come off to know what steps to take next.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Has it had any transmission maintenance? Some drain/fills and replacing the trans filter may make a world of difference. Maybe add some Lubeguard to it. Report back.

My wife has a 2005 Ford Explorer with the 4.6 she bought new and we've changed the tranny fluid entirely and filter every 25,000 to 30,000 miles. It has over 146,000 miles on it and the tranny shifts the same as when it was new. When it comes to auto trannys the manufacture's fluid change intervals will get it past the warranty but in many cases the tranny will die an early death due to lack of atf and filter changes.

Whimsey

I have the 5R55E in my Ranger. I didn't know they put them in the
Lincoln Aviator. They are stout transmissions but have valve body problems. It's a common problem. I replaced my Valve body with a rebuilt one from Central Valve Body. Around $250. They Go through them and rebuild with updated parts and modifications. My truck shifted better then new after the swap.
I caught mine early though and replaced the valve body right away. You can do damage if you keep driving them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back