Super Tech Oil From Wal Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: pdxyota
Chrysler products don't really work well, regardless of the oil used. I wouldn't worry about it.

Such a foolish post in a two year old thread.

I own a Daimler-Chrysler era vehicle... I don't exactly go around promoting Fiat-Chrysler or even defending them. I don't randomly flame them, either, but just shrug when people do.

When they manage to crawl off of the bottom of every single quality metric from every single agency that monitors these things, I'll reconsider.

Chrysler products don't really work well, regardless of the oil used. I wouldn't worry about it.

I found a signature. Thank you.

Mine seem to be doing quite well.
smile.gif

Ha,funny.

Actually oil should matter for a Chrysler. The transmission will fail, power steering will go, electrical might as well be a modern Lucas system only trumped by VW, torque converters will only make change, the thermostat and water pump will die and take the HG down with it, the plastic will peel away and disintegrate, trim will fall off, wearing items will wear faster, and the thing will rattle to your wits end...

but the engine will not fail.

After all, a dead engine will solve that awful rattle. So it does matter which oil you use.

I'm trying to get a friend to use ST dino in his car when we change his oil this Friday. It sees all hard city miles with roughly 5 min trips on average. He never lets it warm up before running the heck out of it either.

He claims synthetic 10,000 OCI's is sufficient. Yeah I need to have a talk with him.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler

smile.gif

I haven't had any problems with my last 2 either. I put gas in them,and change the oil.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Ha,funny.

Actually oil should matter for a Chrysler. The transmission will fail, power steering will go, electrical might as well be a modern Lucas system only trumped by VW, torque converters will only make change, the thermostat and water pump will die and take the HG down with it, the plastic will peel away and disintegrate, trim will fall off, wearing items will wear faster, and the thing will rattle to your wits end...

but the engine will not fail.

After all, a dead engine will solve that awful rattle. So it does matter which oil you use.

Unless it is the 2.7 liter...

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler

smile.gif

I haven't had any problems with my last 2 either. I put gas in them,and change the oil.

Yeah, the mindless bashers have invaded BITOG. It really adds to the decor...

[My 1987 Plymouth lasted 27 years and my 90 Dodge went 20 years/360,000 miles. Where is the Chrysler fail?
Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
Definitely high quality oil or it wouldnt have the starburst symbol and be certified oil

API starburst tests are ridiculously easy to pass. It is not a sign of quality (versus Dexos or VW507 or Caterpillar specs which are 4-5 times more stringent). I look to those more stringent specs when choosing an oil.

I don't understand spending 20-30,000 on a car, plus however many tens of thousands spent on gasoline, but then decide to save a mere ten bucks choosing Walmart's cheap products instead of the Pennzoil, Mobil, Castrol oils right next to it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blackman777

I don't understand spending 20-30,000 on a car, plus however many tens of thousands spent on gasoline, but then decide to save a mere ten bucks choosing Walmart's cheap products instead of the Pennzoil, Mobil, Castrol oils right next to it.

Because that Wally World oil is usually right on par with the brand name oils. I believe that SinoMart, uses Mobil,
Warren Performance Products, Shell, and Citgo to supply their oil. All of these are very high quality producers and supply a good product in the form of the ST brand oil.

For the most part you are paying for marketing when you buy the big brands, even if they might be smidgen more robust, it won't be noticed by your car or yourself in the long run, the only thing you notice is that your wallet is lighter.
crackmeup2.gif

You assume that the "names" printed on the oil bottles determine which are better? Take the labels off and you would be surprised. Just look at some of the VOA results without your "name brand" blinders. I do not think many people will say it is the "best" but it is often a middle of the pack runner at often the lowest cost. I even feel it is better than some names such as QSGB or Castrol GTX for example (or I would rather spend my money there than those names). Furthermore, the 5qt Syn ST is about $17.50... or $3.50 per qt. Considering than many conventional are this price I would pick the Syn ST over some "name brand" conventional/blends (heck it edges out Mobil's Super Syn). Sure it might not be the best oil for your track day but for most usages, like running to Walmart and back, it is more than fine.

What is that saying, don't judge a motor oil by its label...

Those were not Mitsubishi made "captive imports" by any chance? Chrysler failed from about 1990 (ironically) on... who knows if they are dragging themselves up... yet. Time will tell. I do not think anyone in my family had a Chrysler with over 130K and we drove them into the junkyard save for the last (but it was darn close). Worst was a New Yorker that was scrap by 66K and the best was a Sebring with 123K.. and boy did we drag that one for the last 30K. We did a lot of miles but we were not hard on them as our 240K+ Caddy, 190K+ Lincoln, 200K+ Datsun, and soon to be a 200K Subaru. I do not judge a car by its badge but many that had a penta-star logo had some terrible engineering and cost-cutting components.

I judge an oil by its passage of the very strict manufacturer specs (VW, Cummins, Porsche, GM/dexos, ....). Does the Walmart oil carry any of those? ..... My experience with Other walmart-branded products is subpar. Their milk is blah, egg beaters clone is not good, walmart-branded fruit is bland/smushy, and even their bottled water tastes bad.

How did Walmart manage to make water taste bad??? Anyway I now stick to the name brands.

"believe" is pretty weak. You don't know for sure who makes it, and there's always the possibility Walmart could change to some inferior suppl;ier without notice.

Also my experience with Other walmart-branded products is subpar. Their milk is blah, egg beaters clone is not good, walmart-branded fruit is bland/smushy, and even their bottled water tastes bad. (How did Walmart manage to make water taste bad???) I now stick to the name brands.

Actually, you can tell by the bottle and impression molding on the bottle. Mobile-made bottles look like Mobile bottles (same as the Super or Old SuperFlo bottles). Warren has the hand-pour symbol as well as WPP or WSE symbol molded into the bottom. Knowing what you are getting is easy.

You water is regional... just like your other bottles... Aquafina is just treated tap and depending on were you are from, it might be my wife's hometown... and I have seen the people drinking THAT water. So if your WM water tastes bad, then it is you own local/regional water supply tasting bad... they are not paying to ship water across the globe. Same goes with a lot of their weight-added products.

Last edited:
I judge an oil by its passage of the very strict manufacturer specs (VW, Cummins, Porsche, GM/dexos, ....). Does the Walmart oil carry any of those? .....

I have an "ancient" 2005/7-ish SuperTech Synthetic that met the specs for the Corvette... your point.

Meeting Manufacturer's spec is sometimes nothing more than a bribe (or business deal) for an oil company to have their oil listed.

So if say Autozone cheap-in house oil met Dexos, that would be fine? Heck Peak (which is a very lower end but barely ok oil IMO) is Dexos approved.

Toyota 0w20 doesn't look like a Mobil bottle. (Just sayin'.)

And you're right the Walmart water is local junk, but that doesn't explain why all their other store-branded foods taste bad. Or Walmart-branded clothing falls apart... et cetera. I've learned when I buy subpar, I get subpar.
smile.gif

Toyota 0w20 doesn't look like a Mobil bottle. (Just sayin'.)

And you're right the Walmart water is local junk, but that doesn't explain why all their other store-branded foods taste bad. Or Walmart-branded clothing falls apart... et cetera. I've learned when I buy subpar, I get subpar.
smile.gif

I would not call it "junk". While the people look like there is something in the water, the Mrs's hometown often wins those "best water" awards. Point of pride.

Here, this is old, but I knew I had bookmarked it...
http://pangea.stanford.edu/~schmitt/car/gm_approved_engine_oils.pdf

ST is an approved oil by GM... at least in 2008.

Only the rich can afford to buy junk... but keep in mind they make expensive junk too. There is nothing wrong with Supertech. It is an average to above average oil... at a cheap price.

I was under the impression that the Toyota Oil made by Mobile only comes in bulk drums. However, the bottles might be Mobile if it is labeled that way. I know that the last time my wife's Fit went to the Honda Dealership, they used Castrol. Just because you take it to a dealer does not mean you get the Manufacturer's relabeled oil.

I judge an oil by its passage of the very strict manufacturer specs (VW, Cummins, Porsche, GM/dexos, ....). Does the Walmart oil carry any of those?

I wouldn't ever count on Walmart seeking to meet European specifications. They don't offer the grades, and some Walmarts have enough trouble moving their GC and M1 0w-40, let alone submit SuperTech for expensive testing.

Not everyone goes for dexos1. Valvoline doesn't, and I don't see a lot of fear of their products. With respect to the Cummins specifications, one would have to check a bottle of their HDEO. I don't know about down there, but I bet they do up here, considering their supplier up here also supplies a lot of fleets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back