How social are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I am an INTJ, for those who know what that means.
I already knew this when I took the M-B assesement, so I was unsurprised.
To be an introvert means to be self directed and not to need the company of others to be energized.
I do my best work by myself and I sometimes feel apalled at the ineptness of my subordinants.
OTOH, I always tell them that they're free to make mistakes and that if they always knew what to do and never made errors, then I wouldn't have a job. I mean that, as well.
I can be very social, but it's always a bit of a surprise to me when I find that others unexpectedly admire me.
I am always surprised when I have a woman I've worked around for years express sincere admiration, or tell me that if only I weren't married...?
As I've gotten older, I've gotten more tolerant of others' foolishness. What I regard as foolish someone else might regard as utility maximization. That chromed-out C300 with the silly vanity plate that I wouldn't drive were I dead is somebody else's idea of a dream fulfilled.
The truly ignorant opinions on national issues, especially those involving economics are a teaching moment. I tell folks to educate themselves a little beyond talk radio and then form an opinion. I'll offer them some reading recommendaions as well.
I guess that I can be a social creature and I do sometimes enjoy it.
I can also be solitary with just my wife, and she feels the same.
I don't think that I'm any better than anyone else, although I do think that I, along with my wife, make better choices than most people.
I am more intelligent than 99% of the poulation, but that was a gift of genetics and God and merely enables me to navigate life more easily.
People make choices based upon what they have to work with in their heads as well as what they've learned over their years.
We are naturally pretty conservative financially, but spending money on what I would consider frivolous things brings satifaction to others.
I've reached a point in my life where I don't feel the need to criticise others, but rather to think that they are doing what is best for them, including the folks down the street who bought a nice e39 convertible a couple of months back and don't even have a garage to keep it in. I'm pretty sure that I know who inspired that, but I have a detached garage larger than their house and I don't use mine as a winter car.

I, matey!
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif
36.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Both my parents continually say that society has changed in a bad way. My mother has been a teacher for over 30 years and she always talks about how parents have changed, how teachers have changed. There is no more trust amongst people, the teachers are out to get each other, the parents are out to get the teachers, and no one gives a rats behind about the kids.

I honestly don't get it. I think a lot of it has to do with the economics of the 21st century. We have to work twice as hard (as in both parents in a nuclear family) to have the same income to even survive, and with pop culture and modern advertizing, we go into debt to have the latest this and that to try and one up each other. If you don't have the latest phone or a new TV or the latest fashion style of clothing, you are looked down upon.

It all seems rather hilarious to me.

I would not say it's hilarious - I think what you're seeing is the result of a more-competitive society, which in turn, has led people to hold others to a higher standard. If an individual is not an "achiever," then people are usually quick to pick up on this attribute and have a tendency to judge accordingly.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Both my parents continually say that society has changed in a bad way. My mother has been a teacher for over 30 years and she always talks about how parents have changed, how teachers have changed. There is no more trust amongst people, the teachers are out to get each other, the parents are out to get the teachers, and no one gives a rats behind about the kids.

I honestly don't get it. I think a lot of it has to do with the economics of the 21st century. We have to work twice as hard (as in both parents in a nuclear family) to have the same income to even survive, and with pop culture and modern advertizing, we go into debt to have the latest this and that to try and one up each other. If you don't have the latest phone or a new TV or the latest fashion style of clothing, you are looked down upon.

It all seems rather hilarious to me.

I would not say it's hilarious - I think what you're seeing is the result of a more-competitive society, which in turn, has led people to hold others to a higher standard. If an individual is not an "achiever," then people are usually quick to pick up on this attribute and have a tendency to judge accordingly.

You actually think people in today's society hold others to a HIGHER standard then in the past? Good lord man I would say it is the exact opposite.

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
And how social are you?
By the standards of most, not very. I found a few sentiments expressed by others in this thread that I identify with:

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
...I've always been one to not be really outgoing or a conversation starter in a group...That said, happy discuss near anything once drawn into the conversation, which is why web forums are pretty appealing.
Me.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That being said, I don't suffer fools, so the list of whom I would call "friend" is relatively short. However, these are people I trust and respect, which I think are the best type of people to have in your life.
Me.

...But trying to be social for the sake of being social, is not my forte. I have no interest in or knowledge of pop culture, what the latest happenings are with the Kardashians, what the latest hit pop song is etc.. That is what most people talk about and I could care less.
Me.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'm pretty terrible; my office had 30 employees and I've worked there 15 years and only know half their names.
lol.gif

laugh.gif

...I am more intelligent than 99% of the poulation, but that was a gift of genetics and Godand merely enables me to navigate life more easily...
Fixed it.
11.gif
smile.gif

...I've reached a point in my life where I don't feel the need to criticise others, but rather to think that they are doing what is best for them...
Me too. It took me a nearly half a lifetime to get here.

eljefino said:
I'm pretty terrible; my office had 30 employees and I've worked there 15 years and only know half their names.
lol.gif

My office had 15 employees and I worked there for 30 years and knew all their names, but wished I had only known half their names!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back