Drops of Mobil 1 shooting down funnel like BB's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once upon a time, I saw a video maybe on youtube. It showed a cool effect when pouring Mobil 1 into a funnel: Once the funnel is coated with Mobil 1, stopped pouring and let individual drops fall from the bottle onto the funnel and the drops would shoot down the surface on top of the layer oil coating the plastic funnel, like BB's.

Maybe any synthetic oil can probably put on this droplet show. I was reminded of it the other day as I was pouring Mobil 1 4T into my Ducati. Sure enough, when each bottle was depleted and dripping drops, the drops shot down the funnel like little fluid BB's.

Can't find the old video, no longer on Youtube.

Surface tension. You can do this with water droplets on a hotplate too. Spheres minimize surface energy.

Way back in the day I remember Castrol GTX doing it in my funnel at every oil change.

Isn't low surface tension more desirable in a motor oil? So it coats and sticks to everything in the engine and remixes instantly?
I thought this was actually one of the advantages of synthetic oil, more cling to help on dry starts?

Hello, I've noticed this effect in every funnel during every oil change I've ever done. The coating of oil in the funnel stops the "new drop" of oil from hitting and coating that part of the funnel. The funnel is already coated.

The kinetic force of the "new drop" of oil isn't dispensed. The "new drop" if free to zoom down the funnel at whatever speed it it had when it hit initially.

I think it's called the "Speedy B-B of Oil in a Funnel Effect". Kira

It can happen with any liquid- I've seen it quite often when rinsing a car with a fine spray of deionized water (eg. from one of the old Mr Clean car washers with a built in rinse water filter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back