"We'll get you out of your current lease" ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hearing radio commercials sponsored by dealers that claim "We'll get you out of your current lease and into a shiny new car". First, why would anybody driving a relatively new car want to terminate their lease and incur additional expenses?

The dealers advertising this try to paint a picture as if this is the norm and not the exception. I'd never patronize a dealer that partakes in this type of advertising as it implies questionable business ethics.

They might be legit pitches. The OEM's will give incentives to move the new stuff, and there is a market for used stuff. It is a little questionable why someone would want to do it, but the dealer is taking advantage of the consumer mindset that says they have to have the latest iPhone, car, etc. As long as one goes into any deal with eyes wide open and the numbers meet their comfort level, I guess no harm no foul.

A lease is simply a method of financing the use of a vehicle. You can always buy out your lease for a certain amount. What these dealers offer is no different than allowing you to trade in a car in which you have negative equity. They then tack on that negative equity (or in this case, the lease buyout amount) into the total finance package. Nothing unethical and this is no reason to not do business with them, unless you do not do business with anyone who offers financing, including leases.

Originally Posted By: Joe1

I've been hearing radio commercials sponsored by dealers that claim "We'll get you out of your current lease and into a shiny new car". First, why would anybody driving a relatively new car want to terminate their lease and incur additional expenses?

The dealers advertising this try to paint a picture as if this is the norm and not the exception. I'd never patronize a dealer that partakes in this type of advertising as it implies questionable business ethics.

Typically this happens with the a car company who wants to get you into a new leased vehicle of the same brand after 2 years rather than 3. They probably hold the lease anyway and they want to move new vehicles.

I'm sure we all know people who make terrible deals, and lose money every year or two, just to get the latest model.

Why is it questionable if a car dealer does it, but cell phones convince people to trade up multiple times a year and that is OK? Both are not financially wise decisions, but there will always be some people who want the newest and best thing. Business take advantage of that. If we all hoarded our money, I don't think that would be good for the economy. Therefore, I like those who spend cause I am a hoarder and need a job.

ref

I suppose if someone is financially foolish enough to get suckered into a lease in the first place, then they probably won't understand how financially foolish being a slave to a lease is.

Originally Posted By: refaller
Why is it questionable if a car dealer does it, but cell phones convince people to trade up multiple times a year and that is OK?

It isn't okay. As you said it is financially unwise, and someday we will have to support those people when they run out of money (typically through SSI or medicare). It would be better if they stopped wasting their money & saved it, s though could support themselves, instead of becoming future burdens on the rest of us.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Why is it questionable if a car dealer does it, but cell phones convince people to trade up multiple times a year and that is OK?

It isn't okay. As you said it is financially unwise, and someday we will have to support those people when they run out of money (typically through SSI or medicare). It would be better if they stopped wasting their money & saved it, s though could support themselves, instead of becoming future burdens on the rest of us.
smile.gif

I can only presume that you would like the government to do something about it? Is that right?
If yes, then your mindset is far more destructive to the well being of all of us then the financially stupid people.

Dealerships advertise this all the time in my area. They'll pay "Up to 6 remaining payments" or something like $1200.

It *could* be an OK deal for someone "financially foolish" enough that has gone over their allotted miles on a turd of a lease vehicle that they don't intend to buy in the end.

I'm sure people buy into it and plunk a big down-payment, taxes and fees on another lease.

Scoff at it or not, it keeps people earning paychecks.

Last edited:
They will get you out of any possible malady that will mean a sale for them. Some may even throw in a "cuppa" coffee.

With the prices of used cars these days I bet on something like a Subaru or Toyota you might actually come out ahead doing this.

With something that depreciates like yesterdays bagels like say a Jag, I bet you wouldn't.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
It isn't okay. As you said it is financially unwise, and someday we will have to support those people when they run out of money (typically through SSI or medicare). It would be better if they stopped wasting their money & saved it, so they could support themselves, instead of becoming future burdens on the rest of us.
smile.gif

I can only presume that you would like the government to do something about it? Is that right?

Wrong..... though I'd certainly support excluding rich people from getting SSI or Medicare. They should be able to support themselves, and if they have none left because they squandered it..... oh well.

Only think I want to see is government enforcement of the contracts, which they already do to protect the customer from getting screwed (by disreputable dealerships, cellphone companies, etc).

The other day I heard "we'll give you at least $4k for your car--drive it in, push it in, we don't care!" I had a fleeting thought to roll the Jetta on down, but figured they probably know how to come out right side up on any and all deals.

Originally Posted By: supton
The other day I heard "we'll give you at least $4k for your car--drive it in, push it in, we don't care!" I had a fleeting thought to roll the Jetta on down, but figured they probably know how to come out right side up on any and all deals.

Probably over the course of a month, all of their vehicles went up by $4K.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: supton

Probably over the course of a month, all of their vehicles went up by $4K.

Given the prevalence of info on the internet, how anyone would be caught by a $4k increase in selling price is beyond me.

The local KIA dealer advertises $4000 minimum trade in every day here. They raised the prices by $2000 and their explanation for the $4000 trade in was they hoped your trade was worth at least $2000. Say the price on the car was $14000 before trade, they would sell it to you with any trade (even a burnt wreck brought in on a trailer) for $10000. I asked the salesman the cash price and he said it was $12000. I can't really figure the logic of that, considering they would have to pay someone to haul off the burnt wreck. That particular dealership is known for being pretty shady anyhow, so I went elsewhere.

smile.gif

You can KMA on that one, I worked and contributed to the system for approx 40 years total, I'm gonna live off the gubment now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back