Craftsman vs Craftsman Evolv

Status
Not open for further replies.
For wrenches and sockets has anyone noticed any difference in quality between these 2 lines of tools? I know the warranty is slightly different. The Evolv is less expensive.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Hmmmmm. How shall I put this..... Uh, Chinese junk, and Chinese......Hmmmm. Trying to think of something worse than junk.

Maybe, but I am looking for something between HF and Snap-On for a shadetree.

Here is an example:

From my experience the Evolv impact sockets are actually better then the Craftsman. In this case the Evolv sockets are made in Taiwan, Craftsman China.

If you don't care about COI the HF Pittsburgh Pro are better then both and have a warranty

Really a shame that you can get better tools for less at HF and an easier warranty replacement experience. Somebody needs to buy the brand form Sears Holding and bring it back to it's roots. Until then I buy mostly used older but better quality tools

Originally Posted By: Donald
Hmmmmm. How shall I put this..... Uh, Chinese junk, and Chinese......Hmmmm. Trying to think of something worse than junk.

When I buy new it's Proto, SK, Armstrong, Gearwench, Grey Pneumatic (impact sockets)

Lowes Kobalt.

Sears has a pretty decent online deal now. I just picked up a 165 piece craftsman mechanic set for $70. Normally it's $150.. And still was at the store. I also used a promo code for an additional $15 off. Can't beat that IMO.

*deal expires today or tomorrow.. Website mentioned both days. Idk.

Last edited:
Check out your nearest Kmart or Sears Outlet, they sometimes have the older USA-made impact sockets. I picked mine up two years ago for $80 for two sets, both SAE and metric, 1/2 inch drive. They also have tool sets and chests/carts for cheap too (under $100).

However be careful, Craftsman doesn't change item numbers, so made in USA and made in Taiwan tools show up as the same item. Also happens with their warranty exchanges.

Originally Posted By: user52165

Lowes Kobalt.

X2

Also when it comes to socket tech, the newer ones grip better thanks to an expired patent on flank-drive.

If you watch garagejournal.com they dig up sales on reasonably priced USA stuff like craftsman pro, industrial, and Armstrong.

A few weeks ago notice a set of 9 Enolv 1/4" sockets for $4.34. The Craftsman 1/4" set next them were thicker and heavier.

Bought a set (May-2013) of 9ea 1/2" Impact Enolv metric deep sockets for $20, they are heavy (good) and only used the 21mm so far.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmorr

From my experience the Evolv impact sockets are actually better then the Craftsman. In this case the Evolv sockets are made in Taiwan, Craftsman China.

If you don't care about COI the HF Pittsburgh Pro are better then both and have a warranty.

I also like the higher end Pittsburgh Pro impact sockets. They're made in Taiwan and nicely finished. The lower end HF sockets aren't quite as nice, though, and use CR-V instead of Cro-Mo.

I, too, have noticed that the Evolve impact sockets are made in Taiwan and the Craftsman sockets are made in China.

While there may be quality differences between Craftsman and Craftsman Evolv, I believe the main difference is the warranty coverage. I believe the Evolv tools warranty says you need to keep the receipt for warranty service.

Frankly, if I was looking for tools in that price range I'd skip Sears and get the newer Taiwanese Pittsburgh Pro from HF. Their chrome sockets appear quite nice and are made in Taiwan. Other good choices would be GearWrench or Williams imported line. Again, those are both imported, but they're a little more pricey than Craftsman Evolve.

The best deal of all would be to buy one of the remaining Craftsman USA-made socket sets. My local stores still have some of the USA made tool sets in stock.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: user52165

Lowes Kobalt.

X2

Also when it comes to socket tech, the newer ones grip better thanks to an expired patent on flank-drive.

If you watch garagejournal.com they dig up sales on reasonably priced USA stuff like craftsman pro, industrial, and Armstrong.

Not sure what a flank-drive is on a socket, but not sure how one can get much better of a grip on the nut/bolt than a 6 pt socket.

Not sure what a flank-drive is on a socket said:
Flank drive grabs more of the flats of the hex. Much less likely to round off the corners. That's how it is better.

For "hobby money" I took a seasonal job at Sears in hardware so I have a lot of time to look over the tools. The goal is not to spend all I make on tools. There are some good deals on things especially ones that are discontinued or returned. A Craftsman 3 ton floor jack for $77. But I just got a Matco used. Do I need 2?

I recently bought a small set of Evolv sockets. The Sears guy told me that if one of them failed, I'd have to bring back the whole set. They won't replace just one broken socket.

That means that if I happen to lose one, then break one, I can't get the broken one replaced.

OTOH, that policy doesn't apply to standard Craftsman sockets.

So I wonder if some of these more restrictive "lifetime" warranties are what things are coming to be.

HD sells Rigid cordless tools with a lifetime warranty on the battery as long as you have the receipt. Some some will loose the receipt, maybe only for original purchaser.

Sears will send your receipt to you via email, so you can store them that way. If you are organized.

Sometimes you need to argue. I saw someone return a product with a lifetime warranty. The replacement was now being sold with a 3 yr warranty. The clerk told him his warranty was now 3 yrs. Not so fast. When he bought the original item he entered into a contract for a lifetime warranty with the store. That cannot be changed by the store just because their new item has a 3 yr warranty. He might have to litigate it. But he would win if he had the original papers. (My GF is an lawyer in the attorney general's office, so free legal advice.)

I own a Ridgid 12v drill/driver, and an 18v drill/driver - impact driver kit.

You don't have to have the receipt to make a warranty claim. You do have to register the item within 90 days. And you must re-register any replacement unit within a window of time in order to keep the warranty in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back