Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rrounds
Originally Posted By: blackman777
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Regular Cruze == 35-38 MPG (varies by engine) OFFICIAL EPA RATING
Cruze ECO == 39 MPG (auto) 42 (manual) OFFICIAL EPA RATING

Also you can get a Honda Civic HF rated 42 mpg (EPA) or Mirage rated at 44 (EPA) or Ford Fiesta rated at 45 (EPA highway). There's little reason to buy diesel which scores no higher in the official government-endorsed MPG city/highway tests.

Is the HP/TQ comparable to the diesel or is this an apples to oranges comparison? I always thought people bought diesels to get great power along with good mpg?

That used to be true, but not anymore. The Cruze Diesel I testdrove felt just as gutless in 6th gear as the Cruze Eco in 6th gear. Neither was very driver-friendly & would force you to shift to a lower gear (typically 4th) to pass on the highway.
Official numbers are:
CruzeECO - 138hp, 150 torque @ 1850rpm, 33mpg combined (EPA)
Cruzediesel- 148hp, 258 torque, 33mpg combined (EPA) and $5000 higher pricetag

Where do you get your numbers from?
This is off of the Chevy web site

"Cruze Diesel beats the competition
Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel beats out the competition, starting with a 2.0L turbocharged clean diesel engine which boasts an SAE-certified 151 horsepower and 264 lb.ft. of “low-end” torque — more than the Volkswagen Jetta TDI. In fact, Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel is better than Jetta TDI in 8 separate categories."

151 hp and 264 lb. of torque for the diesel
http://www.chevrolet.com/cruze-compact-car.html#Diesel
and for price
ECO with an Automatic MSRP from $21,955†
Diesel with Automatic MSRP from $25,810†
http://www.chevrolet.com/cruze-compact-car/build-your-own.html?x-zipcode=94203
That is only $3855 more for better mileage and we won't know how much more or less money when you go to sell it after 250k miles.

ROD

260tq. That car isn't that big. That's decent in my eyes anyways.
My 83 cutlass with a 305(my first car) had lower power numbers than that.
Well stock anyways. But a can of restore ended the life of that engine
And a 350 went in. Then that car got fun.

ECO with an Automatic MSRP from $21,955

People looking for max MPG (or money savings) would never buy the automatic CruzeEco.... they'd buy the manual which is +4 higher and $2000 cheaper.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
And almost every car ad up here as well. They always quote miles per imperial gallon to inflate the fuel economy.

I always laughed at my dad when I was younger and we'd take trips to the States. He'd convert miles per U.S. Gallon to reflect Imperial Gallons. It's not like you could buy gasoline in Imperial Gallons up here anymore, either. And the inclusion of the Imperial stuff in automotive manuals in North American is idiotic for the same reason. If people up here are flummoxed by litres and cannot fathom the numbers on jugs of oil or gas pumps, they really should retire from driving. The listing of the U.S. measures in the manuals covers all the contingencies.

ECO with an Automatic MSRP from $21,955

People looking for max MPG (or money savings) would never buy the automatic CruzeEco.... they'd buy the manual which is +4 higher and $2000 cheaper.

Not something we see in Europe

Fuel consumption improvements are a given with a diesel

But the manual auto choice is more for ease of driving and convenience, especially if the car is used in an urban environment.

I think we can all see you will not be swayed on the diesel car situation

Still confused why anybody expects anybody to believe that two identically sized vehicles. One with around 100ftlbs of torque more will both have similar performance in a high gear overtake situation

They won't it really is that simple

You can't argue with almost 100% more torque. Especially as it will come in a big turbo diesel lump

I have no issue with you not wanting to own a small diesel hatch or saloon. But not sure why you think nobody else should.

I can get 60mpg out my Jag XJL on a 50mph section of dual carraigeway. At that speed the engine is turning over at around 1000rpm

On the same stretch of road the Clio can range from 70-80mpg traffic dependant.

Use the power and a turbo diesel economy will drop much more than a normally aspirated petrol vehicle in my experience.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
So people will:

1.) Pay a premium for a diesel engine in the Cruze

2.) Pay anywhere from $.25-$.60 MORE per gallon for diesel over gasoline here in Michigan

3.) Have to buy Dexos2 oil at the dealer for $6-$8+ per QUART

What are the economic advantages of opting for a diesel engine over the gasoline engine they put in the Cruze Eco again?

Having just test driven a 2014 VW Passat diesel 6sp manual and a Chevy Cruze diesel, and made the same calculations for oil specs, AdBlue fluid, the fuel mileage of both, which ones have a spare, considerations of range and cost, I bought a 2014 Focus SE (non-SFE) with 5speed manual. Good gasoline mileage, as few as possible moving parts to break (no auto, ,no turbo), standard oil specs, and Black Friday sales by Ford dropping the price into the $16G's.

Now I plan on driving it 35,000 a year in long distance road trips until it breaks, or the kids crash it (they will use it in town, I commute across the country in it).

Motorcraft FL-910S and MC 5w-20 from Walmart through warranty, and then Mobil 7500 semi-syn 5w-30 from the stash until I run out of it. So far it has been delivering 34mpg for the first tank, and I've cracked 40mpg during highway runs up to 70mph.

Besides the smallish fuel tank, it'll do. Would have loved a diesel for this kind of work, but a modern, efficient gas engine and tranny with a decent reputation go a long way towards piece of mind when blasting 1800 miles over a weekend twice a month.

Last edited:
Focus is a good choice.... gets MPG almost as good as a Jetta TDI, but about 10 grand cheaper
Originally Posted By: bigjl

I own a diesel VW..... which means I am well-aware of its flaws (badly designed camshaft; wears out at ~100,000 miles). Plus its premium pricetag of about 10,000 more than a 40mpg gasoline Fiesta or Fit or Yaris. The difference is that I am an Honest diesel owner that doesn't find it necessary to act s if diesel is the best choice..... because it isn't.

As for CruzeECO versus Diesel torque, when you multiply 150 versus 258 by a very high 6th gear ratio of approximately 0.3, what you're left with is ~50 vs. ~80. That's why I said both the CruzeEco and CruzeDiesel felt "weak" and unable to pass at highway speeds. You have to shift down to 4th (which is not driver friendly)

BTW I do think a diesel would be a better choice if they sold us the same 70mpg units they sell in Europe..... that blows-away even the highest 45mpg Ford gasoline car..... but of course they don't, so I cannot recommend it to a U.S. customer

Focus is a good choice.... gets MPG almost as good as a Jetta TDI, but about 10 grand cheaper

I own a diesel VW..... which means I am well-aware of its flaws (badly designed camshaft; wears out at ~100,000 miles). Plus its premium pricetag of about 10,000 more than a 40mpg gasoline Fiesta or Fit or Yaris. The difference is that I am an Honest diesel owner that doesn't find it necessary to act s if diesel is the best choice..... because it isn't.

As for CruzeECO versus Diesel torque, when you multiply 150 versus 258 by a very high 6th gear ratio of approximately 0.3, what you're left with is ~50 vs. ~80. That's why I said both the CruzeEco and CruzeDiesel felt "weak" and unable to pass at highway speeds. You have to shift down to 4th (which is not driver friendly)

BTW I do think a diesel would be a better choice if they sold us the same 70mpg units they sell in Europe..... that blows-away even the highest 45mpg Ford gasoline car..... but of course they don't, so I cannot recommend it to a U.S. customer

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that when making comparisons to other vehicles in the 40mpg line, you need to take into account vehicle size and features. The Fit, Fiesta, and Yaris are all smaller than say a diesel Golf and at the entry level offer less features than the baseline Golf TDI. It isn't an apples to apples comparison unless your only basis is fuel economy. Not to say the TDI isn't more expensive, but the comparison needs to be on equal footing. One cannot simply make blanket statements about costs otherwise.

100% true except I don't want an entertainment center in my car. I think Toyota & Honda had the right idea when they sold "stripped" versions of their Prius & Insight with almost no amenities (to lower the pricetag), and I wish VW & GM would do the same with their diesels.

So instead I'd buy cheap gasoline variants (CruzeECO not diesel). Sure I might have to roll-up the windows by hand, but so what? That's probably the only exercise my arm sees all week.
wink.gif

Like I said, someone needs to make and sell "delete kits" "for race only" for US market diesel cars, they already have them for the diesel pickups.
Then we would see 60-70mpg!

Charlie

The Pd engine hasn't had camshaft issues since the introduction of the specific Pd oils

Oil puml issues certainly are an issue.

Though to be honest i would need to point out that despite the PR and reports in the middles class motoring press in the UK VW's are not the solid everlasting vehicles that you would think.

Ford build very strong diesels as do Volvo now that they are building their own engines again.

Due to the soon to be introduced Euro6 regs in Europe it will not be long before it is no longer economically viable to use diesels in Europe. Hence the introduction of downsized petrol engines such as the 1.0 ecoboost from Ford and the 1.2 tfsi engine from VAG.

I own a Cruze diesel and your "gutless" statement is dead wrong.This engine pulls like a train. There is no comparison to the ECO, it will flat outrun it on the highway or in the city. the torque this engine puts out is like a big V8. For example 260 ft-lbs in a 3500 lb car (cruze) is the same as a 400 ft-lbs in a 5000 lb truck (ford ecoboost) which is known for its torque. So your statement is not true. I notice you are negative against the cruze in all your thread posts. Maybe try another test drive.

Sometimes, things work out well. Like my 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel. Only a $500 premium over gas when I bought it, and it has regularly turned in mpg numbers in the low to mid 30's compared to the 3.7 gas version that barely hits 21 on a good day. Not bad for a 4500 lb vehicle that is not all that aerodynamic and is 4x4. But this was also before DPF and SCR stuff. Just EGR, which got eliminated early on. 180 hp and 315 lb torque out of that little 2.8L in the Liberty.

I have a Cruze Diesel and haven't regretted buying it for a second. My diesels may or may not provide a return on my investment but I prefer them over gassers. Not right or wrong, just my personal preference. I'm going to try running Total Quartz INEO MC3 5W-30 after my included maintenance is up. Its $96 for three 5 Qt containers.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: pavelow
Originally Posted By: CMB
Hello guys, any suggestions on what to run in this motor? The engine is a 2.0 VM turbo diesel

I have a real hard time believing GM when they say to run standard dexos 2 5w-30 and not a diesel spec'd oil.

Calling a diesel ENGINE a motor. LMAO.

I know, I wish people would call the engine and engine.

In the automotive world, motors are electric and engines are internal combustion. I will get people that will spit out the Webster's Dictionary definition for motor, this is why I preface "automotive world".

When you say "motor" and you refer to a Prius, which motor are they talking about?

and to think its called motor oil.

Well, I tolerated the EGR equipped diesel in my '06 Jeep, but I draw the line on that. No DEF, DPF, SCR equipped junk in my future. My 2013 Freightliner has a year 2000, factory rebuilt pre-egr Detroit 12.7L in it. All titled, registered, plated and legal. EPA ties the emissions to the year the engine in built, not the vehicle. Freightliner saw this as an opportunity. Sell a complete truck, minus the engine and trans, but provide all the wiring harness and other stuff to drop in the engine of your choice. They deliver the truck, you drop in the engine and trans, title it, and put it to work. The auto and pickup OEM's don't quite have the same vision. They could sell a incomplete "kit" vehicle, minus the engine, trans, and drive line, and you put in the engine of your choice. I even looked into this further, at least in my state, Iowa, you can build a total vehicle from the ground up and title it. it only has to meet DOT safety requirements for on road use.

I just traded in my 2011 Cruze 1.4t for a 2014 focus SE M/T...I couldn't take the smell and loss of coolant anymore.
GM either couldn't or wouldn't (because of cost) fix it.

There is a class action lawsuit against GM over the 'anti-freeze' smell/loss issue.

Investigate before you buy a Cruze. If I was in the market for a diesel I would stick with VW who has it well sorted out by now.

PS: I know that Ford Focus has some issues with their A/Ts (so does Chevy Cruze) ...that's why I bought a stick....

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: pavelow
Originally Posted By: CMB
Hello guys, any suggestions on what to run in this motor? The engine is a 2.0 VM turbo diesel

I have a real hard time believing GM when they say to run standard dexos 2 5w-30 and not a diesel spec'd oil.

Calling a diesel ENGINE a motor. LMAO.

I know, I wish people would call the engine and engine.

In the automotive world, motors are electric and engines are internal combustion. I will get people that will spit out the Webster's Dictionary definition for motor, this is why I preface "automotive world".

When you say "motor" and you refer to a Prius, which motor are they talking about?

and to think its called motor oil.

And to think that big company is called General Motors...

Originally Posted By: Winterpeg
I own a Cruze diesel and your "gutless" statement is dead wrong.This engine pulls like a train. There is no comparison to the ECO, it will flat outrun it on the highway or in the city. the torque this engine puts out is like a big V8. For example 260 ft-lbs in a 3500 lb car (cruze) is the same as a 400 ft-lbs in a 5000 lb truck (ford ecoboost) which is known for its torque. So your statement is not true. I notice you are negative against the cruze in all your thread posts. Maybe try another test drive.

I completely agree. Back on topic, I'm also looking for an affordable synthetic oil to use in the diesel cruze.

I'd recommend checking the dexos2 list and seeing what distributors are available in your area. Perhaps an XOM or SOPUS distributor might have something you need without being in a ridiculously large container. Of course, the dealer is always the other option, be it far less palatable.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I just traded in my 2011 Cruze 1.4t for a 2014 focus SE M/T...I couldn't take the smell and loss of coolant anymore.
GM either couldn't or wouldn't (because of cost) fix it.

There is a class action lawsuit against GM over the 'anti-freeze' smell/loss issue.

Investigate before you buy a Cruze. If I was in the market for a diesel I would stick with VW who has it well sorted out by now.

PS: I know that Ford Focus has some issues with their A/Ts (so does Chevy Cruze) ...that's why I bought a stick....

VW has the common rail diesel well sorted out??? Think again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back