Shell's nitrogenized fuel - No longer Top Tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help wondering if this is a scam like the EPA's "oxygenated" fuel. (shrug)

I bought Shell gasoline yesterday. It cost $3.64/gallon versus the $3.49 of my usual station (US Gas) directly across the street. I couldn't find Top Tier marked anywhere, and the station guy had no clue. The 76 I drove past earlier had it right on their sign. It makes me wonder if Shell dropped the TTG certification?

They honestly had a certification? I always thought the "Top Tier" thing was [censored]...

Is there any definitive proof anywhere that really shows that gas brand matters/makes a difference? I'm honestly just clueless on that matter.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Is there any definitive proof anywhere that really shows that gas brand matters/makes a difference?
I don't think so.

The ex's car now has 180,000 miles on it...we bought it at 87,000 from the second owner. We've always used whatever gas is convenient, from Sam's Club and BJ's, to Cumberland Farms, to Shell and Mobil. Car runs the same as it always has.

Still Top Tier, http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html.

The only Top Tier stations in my area are Shell and Mobil. I began using Shell exclusively when Mobil was not on the list, years ago; Shell has a marketing tie-in with a local grocery chain, making the gas cheaper if you shop there (I don't but my gf does and she lets me use her card for the discount. She uses Mobil). I don't know what is more important, that the station is labeled Top Tier or that it is a high volume station, but I have never had a bad batch of gas from there.

Websites are often out-of-date. I recently followed KFC.com to a restaurant that no longer exists!

And no TTG is not the usual nonsense from the marketers. The certification was developed by Honda, GM, and Toyota because they were tired of rotten gasoline damaging their engines (and costing them money). It is legitimate and now includes almost all automakers.

It probably doesn't matter for older engines, but modern direct injectors clog easily and need a better gasoline. (Similarly modern diesels need no sulfur fuel... the old 5000ppm fuel is no longer allowed.)

Last edited:
8. What is the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standard? Is Shell V-Power Premium Gasoline certified?

Some of the world’s top automakers – Audi, BMW, GM, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen – believe that fuel quality in the U.S. is declining and agree that deposits on intake valve and fuel injectors can keep engines from achieving optimal performance. To try to raise the bar on fuel quality, these auto manufacturers designated a voluntary standard for gasoline detergency known as the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standard. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standard is beyond the government standards for detergency in gasolines. All grades of Shell Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines, including Shell V-Power Premium Gasoline, are certified as meeting the TOP TIER Gasoline Detergent Standard.

Shell

Not exactly a double blind test but I have a 98 ford Ranger 3.0 V/6 with 211,000 on it and it does not run very smooth on gas from Sam's. With Shell gas it runs much smother right away so that is what I use. I tried to go back to Sam's gas severl times but with the same results.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
I can't help wondering if this is a scam like the EPA's "oxygenated" fuel. (shrug)

I bought Shell gasoline yesterday. It cost $3.64/gallon versus the $3.49 of my usual station (US Gas) directly across the street. I couldn't find Top Tier marked anywhere, and the station guy had no clue. The 76 I drove past earlier had it right on their sign. It makes me wonder if Shell dropped the TTG certification?

Just because a single gas station does not have a sign about top tier does not mean the company dropped it.

I recently saw an ad for shell stating that their 91 or anyway their v brand has 5 times more techron in it then the regular 87..I have always used top tier gas on my subi and when doing a HG at 110k/mi the valves were completely clean..would non-tier gas formulas do the same thing..I don't know??..I do know that some of the lessor know gas stations will give me less miles per tank..

Originally Posted By: volk06
[/quote]

Just because a single gas station does not have a sign about top tier does not mean the company dropped it.

This.

I use Shell gas for both my cars because I get a nickle per gallon back using their credit card and because it is the only local station so the sales tax dollars stay here.

During the summer I use a Discover card because I get 5% back. Around me I don't think any gas is what you would call bad anymore. Two terminals deliver 90% of it locally.

I like how they now advertise the premium as having the V power extra cleaning additives alluding to the fact you have to buy premium to get that.

Same thing Mobil got sued for quite a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I use Shell gas for both my cars because I get a nickle per gallon back using their credit card and because it is the only local station so the sales tax dollars stay here.

During the summer I use a Discover card because I get 5% back. Around me I don't think any gas is what you would call bad anymore. Two terminals deliver 90% of it locally.

I like how they now advertise the premium as having the V power extra cleaning additives alluding to the fact you have to buy premium to get that.

Shell actually calls the 91+ gas "V-Power". They're not saying you get an additive called V-Power. They've been very deliberate with the phrasing and branding.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Shell actually calls the 91+ gas "V-Power". They're not saying you get an additive called V-Power. They've been very deliberate with the phrasing and branding.

Yes I know as I use it in the Turbo. But it implies to get the extra cleaning you need to get premium. This is what Mobil got sued for and lost in the '80 over, the fact you had to get premium to get the cleaning additives.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Jesus [censored], can this site go more than a day without a thread about TopTierGas.com?

Not as long as there are dead horses to be beaten.

It probably doesn't matter for older engines, but modern direct injectors clog easily and need a better gasoline. (Similarly modern diesels need no sulfur fuel... the old 5000ppm fuel is no longer allowed.)

Except in your example, the Government mandated the only ULSD diesel be sold for on road use. We don't have the same deal regarding the top tier stuff. The consumer is left to his own devices. Some of us live in areas where there is not a top tier fuel outlet for almost 50 miles. Folks is that situation are not going to burn up a few gallons of fuel running back and forth to get only a top tier fuel. So the whole idea of TT is moot. A shot of Techron occasionally will have to suffice.

Whenever I have gone to the metro areas, I have seen the Nitrogen in the gas signs at the stations. Made me wonder, NOx is a combination of oxygen and nitrogen in the combustion chamber. Why would anyone add more nitrogen to the mix? Wouldn't that generate more NOx? I have no clue. Just wondered when I saw the signs.

It makes me wonder if Shell dropped the TTG certification?

28.gif

How about visiting more than one gas station or just contacting Shell before you start stirring the pot?

BTW, it is not mandatory for gas stations to display a TTG logo, even if they are selling it.

In a matter of days, you went from not knowing what TTG is to now being an expert on it and throwing some TTG members under the bus, looking for some conspiracy theory and/or scam. Sheesh...

Originally Posted By: volk06

Bingo. As I've said in about eight of these previous TT threads, I've never seen any Top Tier markings at any Top Tier station up in Canada, and finding any references to it on any of their Canadian websites took some serious digging.

If people want to use it, use it. If they don't, don't. It's the same price up here no matter what, so I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back