Exhaust U Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I tried patching a small section of my exhaust pipe. Original is 1-3/4" OD Pipe.

Bought some 1-7/8" OD pipe to fit over the butt joint. It's a fairly good fit. Maybe 1/64" all around. I used some U bolt clamps and tightened them till the patching sleeve stated to crimp.

However it still leaks a little. I saw one video that the guy tightened the nuts until the horizontal part of the clamp started to bend slightly.

I am afraid to over tighten. Does anyone know how much more I should tighten? Torque specs would be good. Clamps I bought does not give any torque specs.

Thanks

There is a compound made for exhaust systems. Muffler Mender? It comes out like toothpaste and sets like ceramic. Sounds like a good application for the product.

I would think JB Weld would eventually crack apart given the extensive heat..

but permatext makes a muffler putty, maybe use that as an insulator then tighten it up?

Walker sells a couple different products,one is a rubber like material that burns on to seal joints,and one is more like a cement...a silver color.Sold wherever Walker exhaust pipes/mufflers are sold (NAPA too).

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Crank em down till they wont go no more ! You can't overtighten them

X2... dont bother with any mickey mouse muffler bandages or JB weld.

Originally Posted By: EricF

but permatext makes a muffler putty, maybe use that as an insulator then tighten it up?

JB Weld is good to 550 F.

Originally Posted By: EricF

I can confirm that JB Weld cracked and did not work on my muffler joint.

Try something else.

Last edited:
There is a product from Tabers, called FloEx. Good stuff! Apply on both sections of pipe and assemble, then clamp. It seals with heat. Also super for manifold to head joints. Really any exhaust joint, but really shines when you use it without a gasket.

I've had the best luck so far with stainless steel exhaust band clamps, with a Permatex exhaust sealant epoxy underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back