Need Oil recs, plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a '71 Dodge Van Class C motorhome with a 440 from a 78 van. I drive it less than 10k miles a year, and start-ups are about every 2-4 months. Any thoughts about what oil too use? When driven, the miles are easy, if I tow anything it's a 2500 lb boat/trailer, the trans is a 727 Torqueflite with a Gear Vendors over/under drive. Typical highway speeds are about 60 mph.

The Rotella T6 is a synthetic oil with both diesel and gasoline ratings. It's very stout and will keep that old 440 happy. I think I'd get a UOA at 7,500 and go from there.

If it leaks or burns oil, Maxlife 10w-40 is a good option.

Like bandito said, it's a much tougher oil. Any old high displacement gas engine will thrive on it. Plus it has high amounts of zinc and can handle fuel dilution better. The zinc is for the top end.

Quaker State Defy 5W30 would be a good choice. If you can find it Maxlife Nextgen 5W30 is on closeout at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: sierraglen
A filter choice?

A Purolator Classic from Walmart would be fine. I have run them in several of my off road vehicles, which are beaten beyond belief, and they have held up fine.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
The Rotella T6 is a synthetic oil with both diesel and gasoline ratings. It's very stout and will keep that old 440 happy. I think I'd get a UOA at 7,500 and go from there.

Bingo. Grab a Purolator or Fram Ultra off the shelf.

Originally Posted By: sierraglen
A filter choice?

Purolator Classic for 5,000 miles.
PureONE for 7,500.
Mobil 1, Bosch D+, or Fram Ultra for more than 7,500.

I'd use a good 15w-40 in that application or 5w-40 if used in real cold temps. I use either Bosch or Motorcraft filters on my Chrysler engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back