Pennzoil Ultra Euro 0W-40 vs M1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hey Guys,

What is better ... is one PAO vs GTL ?

I know that M1 is better priced but beside that what oil is better.

Thank you

M1 0w-40 is better than PU 0w-40, which has much higher NOACK and doesn't carry the same list of certs/approvals.

The comparable product is PU Euro 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Hey Guys,

There is no PU Euro 0w-40.

There is PU Euro 5w-40 though, as others have noted. It is supposedly GTL-based. M1 0w-40 is VISOM-based. Technically then both are group III. Not that it matters.

As far as which is better - I consider them equal.

Had great UOAs with both in my Volvos and the S600. I would use the one you can get cheaply. Of course, when Pennzoil was giving away Ferrari hats with the purchase of a case...I used Ultra....the hat made all the difference for me...

There's no such thing (unless its very new) as Pennzoil Ultra Euro 0w40. Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 exists, its factory fill in SRT vehicles (due to contractual matters and not engineering choices, I suspect), and its not quite as good as M1 0w40 in my opinion. Its targeted at Chrysler's SRT vehicles (note that it even carries the SRT logo), and while they are high-performance vehicles none of them are hard at all on oil now that there's no longer a turbo I4 or V6 in the SRT vehicle lineup. The Hemi and V10 are eeeeaaaaassy on oil.

See these two oil analyses from my SRT , the column to the right of "unit/location averages" is PU 0w40, and the left hand is M1. Frankly they're the same in my engine... the differences in wear metals all can be attributed to the engine continuing to break in. But it is getting M1 from now on, mainluy due to availability, cost, VI, and NOACK. If PU will make their 0w40 GTL like their other PU grades, I might reconsider.

Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40 exists, and is more comparable to M1 0w40.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
If PU will make their 0w40 GTL like their other PU grades, I might reconsider.

Any idea what the NOACK is of the current PU 0w-40 SRT?

http://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550032776-6PK-Ultra-0W-40-Synthetic/dp/B00AJD9ESC

Sorry its the 0w40 SRT
wink.gif

Amazon Calls it Ultra Euro ..

sorry

Sorry its the 0w40 SRT
wink.gif

What car/engine are you going to be using it in? Based on the specs they meet, PU 0w-40 SRT and M1 0w-40 are completely different animals, so you'll be able to quickly determine which one is "best" for your particular application.

v8 4.8 Cayenne ..

Well, then the choice is very simple, unless you choose to make it more complicated than it needs to be.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
If PU will make their 0w40 GTL like their other PU grades, I might reconsider.

Any idea what the NOACK is of the current PU 0w-40 SRT?

No, I just remember a thread where it was pointed out that the 0w40 NOACK wasn't as good as the other grades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back