New Dodge Ram Stinks- known issue but no fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
All 2013 and 2014 Dodge Rams have the new OAT coolant. There is an issue where the coolant reacts with the hoses creating an odor that will make you run from the truck, quite literally on occasion. It is a "known" issue, but no fix is ready yet. Dodge is having new hoses made, and the trucks will need drained, power flushed, new hoses and refilled. I have been driving the stink bomb for 2 months now, started on day 2 of ownership.

Not all trucks get the smell, but when you do, it is obvious, 50 feet away.

It is branded as Dodge, and I think purple in color. I bet the same stuff.
Horrid smell, sulfur and decaying flesh-like sort of.

Horrid...sulfer smell...decaying flesh...sounds like Dodge to me.

I'd rather accept an unwashed artificial heart hacked from the chest of an Al Quida operative with a different blood type than me than own a Dodge truck. Kira

At least it's a simple fix! Dodge builds a good truck everyone has flaws. At least it's not a major engine or power train issue!

Dodge builds a tough truck, name a truck manufacturer that hasn't had an issue occasionally….My 6.0 Ford never smelled but it sure did "stink" as far as trucks go!

Originally Posted By: Kira

I'd rather accept an unwashed artificial heart hacked from the chest of an Al Quida operative with a different blood type than me than own a Dodge truck. Kira
Try towing a 8-10,000 (or more) pound trailer with your vehicle of choice, then try it with a Cummins (or even Hemi) powered Ram-you'll learn to LOVE the smell.

Oh come on, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel...
28.gif

The first year Chevrolet Equinox had the same problem. GM was quick to fix the problem with new hoses and a coolant flush.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Oh come on, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel...
28.gif

LOL

I always wonder why people continue to buy Chrysler products. They have made a few nice cars here and there, but it's REALLY hard to sort them out from the rest of the junk that they continually build.

Originally Posted By: KenO
I always wonder why people continue to buy Chrysler products. They have made a few nice cars here and there, but it's REALLY hard to sort them out from the rest of the junk that they continually build.

Sigh...

Another mopar hater.. You and kira should get together over a pitcher.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: KenO

Sigh...

Another mopar hater.. You and kira should get together over a pitcher.

Wayne

I've owned a few. My grandfather retired from New Venture Gear, and subsequently my family feels compelled to continue to buy these peices of junk, and I see them constantly having to replace them with
[censored], there's a reason why when I was at UTI the ONLY auto trans we fully disassembled & reassembled, then dynod, was the Chrysler A604 fwd trans - because we'd see more of those piles of junk in the shop than ANY other auto trans!

Ok, I am disappointed in the smell issue.
But I looked at all 3 American full size trucks this time. I have owned ford, dodge, and GM full size suv's for the past 15 years, a new one every 18 months or so. This truck is leaps and bounds above everything else from a technology and sophistication viewpoint.

400 hp/ torque, 8 speed tranny, automatic ride leveling and driver selected ride height, spectacular leather appointments, heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, automatic height lowering for fuel economy, automatic closing gill for fuel economy, 18 mpg combined mpg for 6200 miles including moving around my 8700 lb boat, large touch screen, led lighting, ... It goes on and on.

Ford and GM can't touch it from that viewpoint. No, maybe theirs don't smell, but all have flaws. There are several class action suits against ford for the Eco boost engines and design flaws for instance.

Anyhow, purpose of the thread is to help anyone else with a Ram in case they get the odor and the dealership states they never heard of it. There are many of us that have shared the issues and all are waiting for the parts now.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Is Dodge going to take care of all this for free and give you a rental for the day?

They had it twice to figure it out, and gave a loaner both days.
The owner of the dealer calls me weekly and has offered that I can drive his 2014 now until mine is fixed. I did not take him up on the offer.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
If this is the worst thing that happens to a new vehicle as far as defects go, go buy a Ford F150 with that [censored] eco boost.

A buddy of mine bought one over the summer with just under 20k on it. He's put about 5k on it since, no issues so far. The water buildup in the intercooler only seems to be an issue in really humid / foggy weather, and only if you drive it gently. If you beat on it a bit, the water cooks off and/or blows through before much accumulates. He's loving the truck so far, especially considering it gets better gas mileage (city and highway) than my Jeep, despite being a lot bigger and about 1600 lbs heavier.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
If this is the worst thing that happens to a new vehicle as far as defects go, go buy a Ford F150 with that [censored] eco boost.

I know two people with these trucks and they have nothing but praise for them. They enjoy the power and the fuel economy immensely and have had zero issues with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back