Canadian Tire Formula 1 Synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have a sale on for this weekend (Black Friday sale) - 5L jugs of this for $17.99.

Anyone know if this is a decent synthetic oil? Who makes it for them?

thanks

Edit: I just read on the CT website it's made by Shell.

Last edited:
It is rumored to be Formula Shell Synthetic.

Regardless, it should be a quality oil and a good deal.

Thought about myself but I grabbed a jug of PP last week and I'm good till spring.

Was wondering myself if this stuff will be any good for 7,500 mile OCIs in a Toyota 3MZ-FE.

Originally Posted By: weebl
Was wondering myself if this stuff will be any good for 7,500 mile OCIs in a Toyota 3MZ-FE.

The 3MZ didn't have sludge issues correct? I don't see why you couldn't do 7500miles/12000KMs- as others have said MMF1 is basically PP/FS synth tier oil.

Originally Posted By: jrustles

The 3MZ didn't have sludge issues correct? I don't see why you couldn't do 7500miles/12000KMs- as others have said MMF1 is basically PP/FS synth tier oil.

The 3MZ didn't have sludge issues. I know of other owners who've run as long as 15,000 miles on M1 supported by a UOA. Too long for my comfort. Good to know this is basically at the same tier as PP/QSUD/FS, oils which I have no problems using for that OCI.

I don't know if I would call this similar to PP. I did an oil analysis a while back on this oil in my Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0 turbo and the oil sheared down to a 5W20 grade (originally 5W30) after only 6000 kms. Going to try to see how PP performs next time...

Originally Posted By: nobb
I don't know if I would call this similar to PP. I did an oil analysis a while back on this oil in my Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0 turbo and the oil sheared down to a 5W20 grade (originally 5W30) after only 6000 kms. Going to try to see how PP performs next time...

Isn't turbo usually harder on the oil anyways and should be changed early?

I still have like 3 bottles of these...now debating if I should even stock up more for next year.

BlackStone comments from my UOA with F1
DAN: Nothing problematic was found in this sample. Universal averages show how metals should read after
about 8,200 km on the oil. You're already running longer, but you're still getting better-than-average wear in
most cases. Lead was a touch higher than average, but a mere 2 ppm isn't anything worth losing sleep over.
There was no contamination like coolant, water, fuel, or excessive dirt present in the sample, and both the
viscosity and the TBN (which measured 3.1) held up nicely. You shouldn't have any problems with a 12,000
km run next time.

Motomaster Formula 1 5W/30
1989 Regency
GM 3.8L V-6 Super Charged
Odometer 400,034 km
Oil Use Interval 10,000 km

Originally Posted By: big_guy

BlackStone comments from my UOA with F1
DAN: Nothing problematic was found in this sample. Universal averages show how metals should read after
about 8,200 km on the oil. You're already running longer, but you're still getting better-than-average wear in
most cases. Lead was a touch higher than average, but a mere 2 ppm isn't anything worth losing sleep over.
There was no contamination like coolant, water, fuel, or excessive dirt present in the sample, and both the
viscosity and the TBN (which measured 3.1) held up nicely. You shouldn't have any problems with a 12,000
km run next time.

Motomaster Formula 1 5W/30
1989 Regency
GM 3.8L V-6 Super Charged
Odometer 400,034 km
Oil Use Interval 10,000 km

Any chance you could post that report? Or if you would rather I could PM you my email address.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
Don't let Bernie and FOM know about this oil.

That little issue has been gnawing at the back of my mind for a significant period of time. I'm not sure how they get away with it. Well, if something goes bad, they could rent the Supertech license up here from Walmart, since WM Canada changed the name on the house brand up here.
wink.gif

"Any chance you could post that report? Or if you would rather I could PM you my email address."
I tried to copy and paste the UOA but it copies all over the place??? pm me your email address I will try sending it to you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: big_guy

"Any chance you could post that report? Or if you would rather I could PM you my email address."
I tried to copy and paste the UOA but it copies all over the place??? pm me your email address I will try sending it to you.

PM sent, thanx!

Checked out the deal at my CT. Formula 1 oil "meets" all manufacturer specs. PP "exceeds" all specs. Walked out with 2 jugs of PP 5W-30. Been using PP for the past 2 OCs on my V6 Venza.

picked up 3 jugs of formula 1 synthetic oil yesterday and picked up a 5l jug of PP for 24.99 today at walmart.

I have enough oil to take my 3 vehicles through for another 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back