Honda Ody - Misfire - Claims Form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving on the highway last night accelerating up a slight incline and I felt a little slip, wife asked if we were out of gas so I thought I wasn't crazy, I felt a little "studder".

So today I open up the mail: Honda Od Claim Form Repair Related To Engine Misfire. Almost threw it away but it caught my eye with the misfire. Soto et al v American Honda Motor Corp. Again, looked like it might be 'fake' but well, I don't know, never had a newish car so asking here about it.

Ody is '12 and have just changed the oil twice. Leave it or persue it?

Let me know thoughts/opinions.

Seems legit. A quick search shows quite a bit of real interest in the case, from the legal/arbitration viewpoint. You will get a warranty extension as a minimum, and reimbursement for any costs incurred to date that is directly related to the issue. I would file the claim form.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coopns
Honda Od Claim Form Repair Related To Engine Misfire.

Check very carefully. Is this actually from a law firm?

Originally Posted By: coopns
Driving on the highway last night accelerating up a slight incline and I felt a little slip, wife asked if we were out of gas so I thought I wasn't crazy, I felt a little "studder".

So today I open up the mail: Honda Od Claim Form Repair Related To Engine Misfire. Almost threw it away but it caught my eye with the misfire. Soto et al v American Honda Motor Corp. Again, looked like it might be 'fake' but well, I don't know, never had a newish car so asking here about it.

Ody is '12 and have just changed the oil twice. Leave it or persue it?

Let me know thoughts/opinions.

It is real, go to the Honda dealer to document/repair the problem.
This is just more of the dreaded VCM problems that have plagued Honda for many years.
Welcome to the nightmare of Honda VCM!

http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA913971022.PDF

I know, I was 'hoping' it would happen again.

Did look legit. I very much dislike the dealer I purchased it from but worth pursuing I guess.

The link posted below is it.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Does this mean I should stop shopping for a used Accord hybrid? It comes with 6-to-3 VCM. It seems like such a nice car (leather seats, luxury additions, and only ~$8000).

If it was indeed a misfire, your MIL should have *Flashed* on/off while it was doing this, then stayed lit up until read and cleared.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Originally Posted By: Trav

Does this mean I should stop shopping for a used Accord hybrid? It comes with 6-to-3 VCM. It seems like such a nice car (leather seats, luxury additions, and only ~$8000).

JMHO but I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole if someone else paid for it.
It comes right out of the blue, running fine one minute then boom running on 3 cyl and not drivable.
Repairing them is costly and can be very difficult, definitely not a DIY job for most.

3 cylinder sounds driveable to me? (That's how many cyls my Insight has in it. Also the new Ford Fiesta 1.0)

My understanding is the VCM engine doesn't actually die, but simply runs hot & gradually fills with sludge.

It doesn't run well on 3 cyl in limp home mode, it barely idles.
Honda VCM has other problems, not just sludge. Lots of long blocks being installed.

My understanding of the Honda VCM system is that it always shuts the same bank. I would think it would be better to alternate banks, if not individual cylinders. Someone explain it to me?

In order to do that, Honda would need three positions: Full 6 cylinder operation, 3 cylinder operation (bank 1), 3 cylinder operation (bank 2). In the early years of the VCM design, I am guessing Honda didn't have enough "space" to implement all 3 positions, so they just used the first 2. It was less flexible but worked well (no reported problems).

In later years (2008-present) Honda was able to add all three positions, but instead they chose to configure like this:
- 6 cylinder
- 3 cylinder (bank 1)
- 4 cylinder (mix)

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/9xZEBn7ejcc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back