2009 Ford F-150 heater door under dash

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has an 09 Ford F-150 supercrew with the 5.4 and the blend door doesn't always close. The windstars had this issue as well. Lots of web info as well. The dealer told him the whole dash had to be removed. Anyone have any suggestions for a diy repair. He is staying at a hotel. Thanks.

As a ford mechanic I have done lots of blend door motors almost all can be short cutted somehow or another most can be done in just a few hours. Plus most dashes come out pretty easy these days if it is absolutely necessary which it seldom is

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Sometimes you can't buy the door by themselves. They only come in the case! Dodge does this often, not sure about ford

Dodges HVAC system is a true PITA. The one thing that was "good" when I replaced the heater core in my 2002 Ram is that the dash comes out with the removal of a few bolts, unplug a few wires, and it all comes out as one unit. If I had to do it again I could probably get it out in an hour and a half. I dont know how the newer Fords are to remove the dash though.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Sometimes you can't buy the door by themselves. They only come in the case! Dodge does this often, not sure about ford

They don't sell the doors by themselves. I am 99% sure the dealer told the OPs friend that it is a blend door actuator and not the blend door itself.

There is a blend door actuator that opens and closes the door. I replaced one on a Ford Taurus recently. Took the radio/climate control out to get to it. Took about an hour.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-604-224-Heater-Blend-Door-Actuator-/271332865821?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AF-150&hash=item3f2cb2f71d&vxp=mtr

Remember auto climate controls have to be reset after doing it. Takes about 5 minutes.

If it is the right hand one, which is the only one it has if it doesn't have datc, remove the radio and lower the glovebox door and work through the openings. The dash doesn't require removal unless it has dual automatic temperature control and the left one is bad. This is for the temperature blend door actuator, if the door is broken the dash will have to come out but that is rare.
Is it only blowing cold air??

Yeah it was blowing hot but when he turned the switch from hot to cold it wouldn't go back to blowing hot. This was why I was thinking the actuator or the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back