NAPA syn 0w20 engine sounds noisy- kia optima

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a few weeks ago I dumped the QSGB 5w20 I was running with a puro classic at 4.5k and put in napa synthetic 0w20 and a NAPA gold filter. I have about 750 miles on it and just got back from a 400 mile thanksgiving trip. this oil seems to make the engine sound a lot louder at idle than any prev oil I have used. this is the first 0w20 I have ever ran. these engines seem loud anyway, my moms sonata sounds loud also, same exact drivetrain. Anyone else having this experience? this is basically synpower right?2010 optima 4cyl 2.4l. not a gdi engine. thanks for any help and suggestions. was thinking about some mobil 1 0w30 next oc and see if that quiets anything down, should be a lot thinner than gc right?

It could be that your new oil has less boron content. QSGB has a healthy amount of boron which is a cleaning/dispersant agent and also creates a "cushion" between moving parts. Many people on this site find that the boron-rich QSGB quiets down their noisy engines more than many competitors. If I am not mistaken I believe that Hyundai/Kia themselves recommend QSGB to counter the noisy engine claims that many Hyundai and Kia owners complain about.

That being said, I doubt you have anything to worry about. Mobil 1 sometimes uncovers some noise in peoples engines as well but is a top-notch product as far as protection and cleanliness go, so perceived noise and quality don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
It could be that your new oil has less boron content. QSGB has a healthy amount of boron which is a cleaning/dispersant agent and also creates a "cushion" between moving parts. Many people on this site find that the boron-rich QSGB quiets down their noisy engines more than many competitors. If I am not mistaken I believe that Hyundai/Kia themselves recommend QSGB to counter the noisy engine claims that many Hyundai and Kia owners complain about.

That being said, I doubt you have anything to worry about. Mobil 1 sometimes uncovers some noise in peoples engines as well but is a top-notch product as far as protection and cleanliness go, so perceived noise and quality don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Word up.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
If I am not mistaken I believe that Hyundai/Kia themselves recommend QSGB to counter the noisy engine claims that many Hyundai and Kia owners complain about.

That being said, I doubt you have anything to worry about.

your right, they do recommend QS at the stealer, at least that is what bulk they say they use. these engines are annoyingly sewing machine sounding!

Our 09 Kia we had with the same 2.4.. An it was always ran on Valvoline Synpower 5w20 and it was a lil noisy as well for my taste.. But my trucks engine is noisier due to all roller valve train..

it has been stated on here so many times. with Hyundai/Kia vehicles if you want to minimize the engine noise especially in the winter time, use the Hyundai/Kia oil filters! They are only $5 at the dealer and are way better quality than a 'Puro Classic' filter. The can alone is about twice the thickness of any other I have cut open.

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
it has been stated on here so many times. with Hyundai/Kia vehicles if you want to minimize the engine noise especially in the winter time, use the Hyundai/Kia oil filters! They are only $5 at the dealer and are way better quality than a 'Puro Classic' filter. The can alone is about twice the thickness of any other I have cut open.

THIS^^

I will put my last dollar that it is not the oil but the filter. I have had the same issues and it is the filter every time. Wix filters are especially troublesome to that engine in my observation, but no aftermarket filters are as good as the OEM.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Wix filters are especially troublesome to that engine in my observation, but no aftermarket filters are as good as the OEM.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, before I found out my ACDelco was an ecore...
48.gif

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: 05Blazer

THIS^^

I will put my last dollar that it is not the oil but the filter. I have had the same issues and it is the filter every time. Wix filters are especially troublesome to that engine in my observation, but no aftermarket filters are as good as the OEM.

yeah I was going to start running oem filters called the dealer a few weeks ago and he said around $5 if I bought 3 or more. couldn't pass up napa's $19.xx syn and filter deal a while back so I have another change of the napa syn in 5w20 after this. might just buy oem, and keep the gold on the shelf. if the filter is making the engine noisy isn't this indicative of wear? cant be a good thing. thanks for me making me more schitzo paranoid about this stuff than I already am!
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Richtrashman
thanks for me making me more schitzo paranoid about this stuff than I already am!
33.gif

Isn't it amazing that there are billions of non-BITOG members out there that just go to Jiffy Lube and never think twice? Yet here we are, discussing TBNs and silicone anti-drainback valves.
lol.gif

the funny thing is I thought I was alone until I found this site about a year ago. not that I am at the level of some BITOGers but I think it is getting worse. the old lady don't understand why I look at the oil aisle every time I go to any store. guess insanity loves company!
smile.gif

Funny, I just put Napa syn 0w20 into my Sedona and I can't believe how noisy the motor is when cold. And that's coming from Mobil 1 for my last fill, which many people consider to be a 'loud' oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
cheesepuffs said:

+1

Originally Posted By: Richtrashman
the old lady don't understand why I look at the oil aisle every time I go to any store. guess insanity loves company!
smile.gif

Haha, I was at a Walmart with one of my friends a few days ago and did the exact same thing. He said, "Reading the back of oil...", like I was crazy.
lol.gif
I just changed from VWB to PYB thre e or four weeks ago and I'm already contemplating what to go for next. But I can't help but check out oil isles in stores either, I don't know what it is. Most members here are the same.

I had a low mileage (6k) 2010 Kia Forte for a while. I thought the engine was just noisy period. No change in sound level from dealer bulk dino and OEM filter to M1 5W-20 and a Puro Classic. Inside the car, it was nice and quiet though. Nice little cars for the money actually.

I've tried a few different oils in the 07 Sonata. QSUD 5-20 has been the best. QSUD with an OE filter gives quiet start ups at any temp and smooth quiet running. I'm doing 5k mile oci's now, that's about 5-6 months worth of driving for that car.

Had the same noise problem with the wife's 2012 Optima with the 2.4L DI engine and I am running Mobil 1 0W-20 and a Pure One filter or Napa Gold Filter and this makes the car so quite I complain I never hear her pull in the garage if the door is open. I believe it is the oil that will quite the engine down.
You must use a good filter also but I have had no issues with the Wix or P1 filters.

Quote:
You must use a good filter also but I have had no issues with the Wix or P1 filters.

+1

Niether have I.

Last edited:
Have the 2.4L GDI in one of the vehicles (2010 Tucson/53k).
Went from MS5K, then PP 5w-20 (5w-30 last year for the hottest part of summer triple digit temps). Currently running my 2nd (and last) fill of Kendall Full synthetic 5w-20. (out of Kendall).
Always OEM filters.
I can't tell any difference in noise with the above oils mentioned or any change in noise from beginning to end of oil change intervals. Also no noticeable oil consumption.
So after the current fill of Kendal, I'll be back to PP since I have stash of it. And sticking to OEM filters (have a stash of them too).

if you really want to quiet that little motor down use Redline 5-30.
It has a high quality ZDDP package in it and will make that motor sound 100% better.

Running it in my Gen 2 Prius which has solid lifters and is a noisey little 1.5/
Redline oil made it sound like a different motor.

Running Redline D6 in the trans too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back