FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a few runs of Mobil 1 0W-40 in the VW, I've gone back to GC. First things first, it was on sale so it was the easy choice. Just something about the GC that just seems to make the car feel that much smoother and the engine purr that much better. To be honest, I want to love the Mobil 1 0W-40 for it's specs and up-to-date SN formula, but GC just seems to stand the test of time and run better in my car.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
I want to love the Mobil 1 0W-40 for it's specs and up-to-date SN formula, but GC just seems to stand the test of time and run better in my car.

If you want the specs of M1 and API SN, then switch over to the Castrol 0W-40. It was on sale a while ago at AAP and I picked up 2 changes worth to try. If you get in on the O'Reilly's promo right now you can get $5 off each quart, but you have to have them special order it for you.

I will go out on a limb. I am not sure I am the VERY first to use the term GC although if the posts were researched that might prove true (I am retired military and acronyms are the thing you know--GC is so easy to type) (Patman might rightfully claim it too). I DO know, however, I was the first to use it in every post I made (except for new posters etc) so I think I "socialized" the term. The elves were definitely my creation. I tell you this only for historical purposes so people know how it started.

PS I also owned the record (at the time) stash; close to 200 quarts.

Last edited:
Is the new Edge 0-40 any good ?
How close is it to the GC (German Castrol)..
Can I use this Edge 0-40 in my Simplicity Eaton transmission in lieu of the Simplicity all purpose oil, whatever that is...

Originally Posted By: earthworm
Can I use this Edge 0-40 in my Simplicity Eaton transmission in lieu of the Simplicity all purpose oil, whatever that is...

I've not used it, but I would not hesitate to use it if I had some. I am still using up my green 0W-30. I just found a case of Belgian 5W-40 that I did not remember I had...must have been the precursor to the 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: earthworm

Look at the spec profile and where it is made and it will give an indication.

So is the black bottle Edge (EBB?) now the same or nearly the same quality as German Castrol? If not at least the 0W-30?

Originally Posted By: BrianL
So is the black bottle Edge (EBB?) now the same or nearly the same quality as German Castrol? If not at least the 0W-30?

The 0w-30 and the 0w-40 possibly are. The rest of the grades are a completely different animal. And by that I don't mean "bad" or "worse", just designed for different purpose/application.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BrianL

The 0w-30 and the 0w-40 possibly are. The rest of the grades are a completely different animal. And by that I don't mean "bad" or "worse", just designed for different purpose/application.

That is a GREAT point, QP, different DOES NOT automatically mean bad or worse. One thing I will say, though, consumers do expect to get straightforward descriptions (I.e. Fully synthetic vs Synthetic Teochnology--what does that really mean in terms of performance) to know whether the performance they are paying for is what they expect it to be.

Originally Posted By: pscholte
One thing I will say, though, consumers do expect to get straightforward descriptions (I.e. Fully synthetic vs Synthetic Teochnology--what does that really mean in terms of performance) to know whether the performance they are paying for is what they expect it to be.

Others may disagree, but in my humble opinion, this is no longer relevant. There are "synthetic technology" oils out there that meet some of the most stringent manufacturer specs in existance today, such as MB 229.5. So, if you can achieve the same level performance with a different formulation, then what does it matter?

One thing I will say, though, consumers do expect to get straightforward descriptions (I.e. Fully synthetic vs Synthetic Teochnology--what does that really mean in terms of performance) to know whether the performance they are paying for is what they expect it to be.

Others may disagree, but in my humble opinion, this is no longer relevant. There are "synthetic technology" oils out there that meet some of the most stringent manufacturer specs in existance today, such as MB 229.5. So, if you can achieve the same level performance with a different formulation, then what does it matter?

Touché
grin.gif

Well, I think it depends to application.
Racing oils are still made using Synthetic base.
I personaly like to have G4 or G5 oil in my car, since I love to push car to the max if I can.
Several days ago I went to Piks Peak with CC, 3/4 up the hill, engine temp gauge went more then usual. I had to use heating to cool of engine, and left car running on top to cool itself off.
In such scenarios, I like to have full synthetic oil in engine.
Now, my wife on other hand, she can use Canola oil in a car, it would not be much of a deal
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw

M1 0-40 is used in many racing applications yet it is not fully synthetic according to your definition.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

M1 0-40 is used in many racing applications yet it is not fully synthetic according to your definition.

Well, I was referin to labeled racing oil. Yes, you can use it, it is great oil. However, even Mobil uses sunthetic base for their true racing oils.

Hii friends!
i need a little help
2 days ago a friend of mine bought me a Castrol Oil
Castrol Magnatec 5-40 DPF
My question is:
is this oil right for my car?
I own a
MercedesBenz W203 C220 CDI 2001 stationwagon
thanks in advance to anyone

Originally Posted By: ballie
Hii friends!
i need a little help
2 days ago a friend of mine bought me a Castrol Oil
Castrol Magnatec 5-40 DPF
My question is:
is this oil right for my car?
I own a
MercedesBenz W203 C220 CDI 2001 stationwagon
thanks in advance to anyone

This doesn't fit this German Castrol discussion (gasoline engine product), but...

Does the bottle of oil list any approved Mercedes specs? If it list a Mercedes spec of 229.31 or 229.51?

If it does, it's probably ok as those are specs for diesel Mercedes (229.31 is older but your car came around before 229.51 so both specs would be ok).

I do have limited knowledge on the older diesel requirements, so it's just a recommendation. I'd look to see if either of those MB specs are listed on the bottle.

Last edited:
I would like to know in Europe it is called what you call GC? I would like to try it in my MB 230 Kompressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back