1992 Accord PP 5W-30 4K Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
First ever analysis of this engine. The car has been babied most of it's life with highway miles. I drive it 90 miles a day 55-65mph with a WOT burst every 5-6 days. The car sat for a few years and just recently was put back in service as a daily commute vehicle. Was pleasantly surprised to see such good numbers.

92accord.jpg

Last edited:
Engine seems to be in great shape.

Oil is in fine shape, but wasted at 4k miles. I would disagree with Blackstone; this is not "fantastic". Rather, it's completely normal; there is nothing whatsoever out of the ordinary here. You are completely at average performance levels. While that is good in terms of the engine, it indicates that your expensive fluid did zilch to return anything for the extra investment. What's fantastic about that?

Could easily triple the OCI with this type of service and results. In fact, could probably get that far with a decent dino fluid for that matter.

looks like you'll get another 90 K at least out of her--just remember to keep on top of the trans fluid changes every 30K (if it's an automatic)

I could've swore I put PP in it but maybe it was something different. I just recently put a log inside the car to keep up with the stuff.

It's definitely got Mobil 1 syn 5W-30 in it now with a Fram Ultra for a 7500+ run.

As for wasting all the expensive oil (which may not be as expensive as we thought with the off numbers), it's the first run since the car came out of layup. It was a early change to make sure everything is still in tip top shape.

Typical timing belt 4 cyl Honda engine.
Make sure you change that timing belt, too.

By definition (20yrs old and up) you have a Classic car! Congratulations! I always liked the look of the fourth generation Accord. How does yours look, as far as body condition? Any pics?

Transmission type, auto or manual?

If it has been sitting for years have you flushed or drain and filled the other fluids, tranny, brake, clutch, power steering?

Thanks for posting and good luck with the ride!

I've got 380,000 miles on an original 2.2 non vtech. They are one of the most reliable engines ever made IMO. Change the timing belt and do the automatic trans fluid once every 30,000. I would run that oil 8k.

This oil is castrol edge not PP. If you look at the VOAs, this is identical to edge and we have not seen PP have that kind of additive package or TBN retention where Castrol Edge has show both.

volk06,

I don't think it's Castrol Edge either. The VOAs on both Castrol Edge and Syntec show higher ppm magnesium than calcium, similar to HDEOs like Rotella T. Additionally Edge has titanium, this has virtually none.
I'm guessing it's Mobil 1. The SN flavors (excluding 0W-40) have these levels of calcium and magnesium. And the Moly and Boron levels are right in line with all of the SN AFE and 5W-xx Mobil 1 VOAs I've seen recently.

Gary

Is it possible he had some old oil in the pan if it sat for a few years, probably a different spec. I believe the OP did mention that. If so, could that explain the add pack difference?

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
volk06,

I don't think it's Castrol Edge either. The VOAs on both Castrol Edge and Syntec show higher ppm magnesium than calcium, similar to HDEOs like Rotella T. Additionally Edge has titanium, this has virtually none.
I'm guessing it's Mobil 1. The SN flavors (excluding 0W-40) have these levels of calcium and magnesium. And the Moly and Boron levels are right in line with all of the SN AFE and 5W-xx Mobil 1 VOAs I've seen recently.

Gary

I did switch the CA and MG around so you are right on that and it does look like M1, I just glanced at it and thought the MG was higher. However, only the gold bottle edge has titanium, the black edge does not have any Ti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back