Pentius PLG3387A (PH3387A Equivalent) Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil on the GP last week while the OLM was still at about 37% oil life remaining because of my doubts about the quality of this made in China shop filter that I could not find any info on online. In fact, if you do a Google search of PLG3387A, the first few results are Amazon listings and then a slew of results from here at BITOG due to my listing it in my former sig. I decided to do an autopsy to see if my fears were founded and finally got some alone time tonight to break out the hobby hacksaw and go at it. There are about 6,000 miles on the filter.

Here is the filter in its fully intact glory...for the last time. The can is very solid and I could not dent it with my bare hands.
IMG_20131126_210555_542_zps7810f68f.jpg

Cut open and disassembled.
IMG_20131126_212000_593_zps47944854.jpg

The ADBV was a bit stiff and had this wrinkle, which allowed all of the oil to drain out when placed base-side down, which made for a cleaner dissection and is not a problem in my application as it sits vertically, base-side up.
IMG_20131126_212013_787_zpsf9e6c2c8.jpg

Tight (but not too tight) and evenly spaced filter media pleats, well glued to the metal end caps. No tears or waves.
IMG_20131126_212134_651_zps645665f7.jpg

The media did not come off easily and measured at about 110 square inches.
IMG_20131126_213030_457_zps055e2720.jpg

Solid center tube.
IMG_20131126_212715_469_zps4cd36169.jpg

Solid pressure relief coil spring.
IMG_20131126_212940_448_zpsd345e00b.jpg

And they conveniently put the filter cross-references right on the side of the can!
IMG_20131126_213203_663_zps97847be7.jpg

After seeing the equivalent and even supposedly superior Frams cut open (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2169966 and http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2785903), I think I would rather run this Pentius. I am guessing this is a slightly better filter than the Pentius PLB3387A that can be had on Rockauto for $1.64, but maybe not good enough to warrant the $6.33 Amazon price. I have a Bosch Premium ($6.99 at AZ and on Amazon; synthetic blend media and silicon ADBV) on the GP now and will cut it open when I run the OLM down to 0% remaining this time, so probably not for another 6-8 months.

Last edited:
That coil spring is not a "pressure relief coil spring" ... it's the spring that holds all the guts tight inside the can. I don't think this oil filter has a bypass valve since it's probably built into the engine block on your GM car.

Excepting the wrinkled adbv, similar to the AAP DriveWorks also made in China, does 'look' to be well made with good media area. Also similar to the DW though, there's no published efficiency rating.

I still find it interesting though that the low tier/value spin on filters made in China posted here and elsewhere all use a coil retainer spring as opposed to the more common leaf spring.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
That coil spring is not a "pressure relief coil spring" ... it's the spring that holds all the guts tight inside the can. I don't think this oil filter has a bypass valve since it's probably built into the engine block on your GM car.

My bad. I wasn't sure and originally left "bypass" out of my original post, but decided (incorrectly) to put it in.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
... Also similar to the DW though, there's no published efficiency rating. ...

I sent an oil sample in for a UOA, so although we won't be able to tell the actual efficiency of the filter, it should give an idea of it was working well enough. I also put in the comment section that the quality of the filter was suspect, so maybe they will comment on that based on the results.

Looks decent structurally and it does look like a ringer for a Driveworks other than the paint color. Any other filter orientation though and I'm betting that ADBV would have caused problems.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: sayjac
... Also similar to the DW though, there's no published efficiency rating. ...

I sent an oil sample in for a UOA, so although we won't be able to tell the actual efficiency of the filter, it should give an idea of it was working well enough. I also put in the comment section that the quality of the filter was suspect, so maybe they will comment on that based on the results.

If the UOA is being done at B'stone, considering the fact that they say (linked below*) they see little or no difference in UOA insoluble results regardless of filter used, unless the results are completely out of line, I wouldn't expect any significant notation regarding the filter. A particle count 'might' give a better indication, but considering the $24 extra cost I don't think it would be worth it.

Mostly I was just noting that while the two filters appear generally well made, no ISO efficiency rating is provided with these filters.

*Blackstone says oil fiter brand makes no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back