Your current Favorite Guitar Solos

Status
Not open for further replies.
My musical tastes vary widely, but I always come back to Rock'n'roll.

I don't know the who the guitarist is in the following clip, but man the guy can rip.

What's floating your boat these days?

I was going to post a video of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott as any Arlington native would, but then in watching this teenage kid with the crazy hammer-ons and pull-offs I realized I had seen this before.

Eddie Van Halen.

I'll let '80s hardcore punk frontman Henry Rollins describe it:
I remember very well when Eddie performed “Eruption” and the whole place was in disbelief. At the end of it, he looked down at his hands and shook his head like he didn't know what came over him. It was amazing. The set was a monster.
Nugent came on a while later and a few songs in, people were chanting “Van-Ha-Len!” over and over and waving newly bought VH t-shirts until the Nuge came to the front of the stage and yelled, “[bad word] Van Halen!!!” He then retreated to his cabinets and played the rest of the show looking down at his wedge monitors. Move over Ted!"

I also considered Stevie Ray Vaughan. Same thing though. It's just Jimi Hendrix this time.

Stevie Ray Vaughan had a grittier more emotional Texas Blues sound but some of that might be attributed to the quality of the recording equipment used. Either way, without Jimi, SRV's sound would be different. Still have the Blind Lemon Jefferson and T-Bone Walker influence, but very very different.

BTW does anyone know someone who can convert a guitar duet to sheet music (preferably tab format, or tab with standard notes). I have looked and even talked to the original composer who is now in his 90's and has just recently given all of his music to a college near him. He did not recall recording the duet with Bill Staines, but said if he did that it was back in the 1970's.

I really want to learn to play each parts of this duet, but can not play it by ear.

It seams no one has this duet in sheet music.

BTW, there is another song by Jay Ungar called "The Lovers Waltz" that is not the same song.

Last edited:
The duet of "The Lovers Waltz" track 7 of Bill Staines CD The whistle of the Jay, was copyright in 1978 by Bob McQuillen who played the lead guitar with Bill playing the second guitar.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I was going to post a video of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott as any Arlington native would, but then in watching this teenage kid with the crazy hammer-ons and pull-offs I realized I had seen this before.

Eddie Van Halen.

I'll let '80s hardcore punk frontman Henry Rollins describe it:
I remember very well when Eddie performed “Eruption” and the whole place was in disbelief. At the end of it, he looked down at his hands and shook his head like he didn't know what came over him. It was amazing. The set was a monster.
Nugent came on a while later and a few songs in, people were chanting “Van-Ha-Len!” over and over and waving newly bought VH t-shirts until the Nuge came to the front of the stage and yelled, “[bad word] Van Halen!!!” He then retreated to his cabinets and played the rest of the show looking down at his wedge monitors. Move over Ted!"

I also considered Stevie Ray Vaughan. Same thing though. It's just Jimi Hendrix this time.

Stevie Ray Vaughan had a grittier more emotional Texas Blues sound but some of that might be attributed to the quality of the recording equipment used. Either way, without Jimi, SRV's sound would be different. Still have the Blind Lemon Jefferson and T-Bone Walker influence, but very very different.

Have you watched an vids from the tour that they did with Gary Cherone in '98?...Eddie was sober and definitely in a different place inside, it shows in his playing which I would say is some of his best. Because Gary was not well received the videos are not too easily found on YouTube but I recommend this great song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBGQmkXcbDI

Pink Floyd - Young Lust
Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbetter
whistle.gif

This is one of my all time favorite guitar solos. It`s a bass guitar solo,which seems unusual for 1968. It starts at 3:00 in unison with a flute solo. Kind`ve psychy/jazzy.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I really like Steely Dan which had many different lead guitar players.
This guy is good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZs4pK-aBuEw

I'm listening to this right now. Wow. O.O Without Googling Hank Easton he MUST have been a prominent session player on Steely Dan albums. Have never heard of him either.

Here are some of moving solos I've heard:

David Gilmour
Brian May
Hank Easton (as of this thread)
Joe Satriani
Duane Allman

To not stray too far off topic, I prefer these guys as rhythm players

Eddie Van Halen
Malcolm Young
James Hetfield
Dave Mustaine
Tony Iommi

^ those are guitarists NJC mentioned, not solos.

Mine are (not just currently but always):

Comfortably Numb - PF solo #2 (esp. 1988 Live version in NY).
On the Turning away - PF (again, from live version mentioned in above concert)
Shine on you crazy diamond - PF
Have a cigar - PF
Do it again - Steely Dan
Stargazer - Rainbow
Easter - Marillion
Left alone/All alone - Satriani
Waiting so long - Super Tramp
Don't leave me now - Super Tramp

If the question is favorite individual guitar solos,

1. Brian Robertson, Thin Lizzy, The Cowboy Song
2. Pete Willis, Def Leppard, Rocks Off
3. Gary Moore, Remembering (With Love) Acoustic
4. Lita Ford, both solos in Back To the Cave
5. Dave Meneketti, Y&T, Open Fire

These are just a few that stand out. There are many, many other great players out there. It's hard to pick an all time favorite but these are pretty darn close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back