2013 Subaru 0W-20 and filter combo???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to be bumping up a year old thread but because it pertains to my situation I'd like to see what filter the OP decided on? I see in the sig that PP 0w20 is being used.

By now I guess the bypass ratings have been answered. I too had the same questions and will be sticking with the 15A as the black 160 is not available anymore

Fwiw the 15A and black Roki are not exact at least on the outside. I had to go buy filter pliers as the cap wrench I have fits the 15A but not the 160. Too small

Also wasn't the recall just on the 12A filters?

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Sorry to be bumping up a year old thread but because it pertains to my situation I'd like to see what filter the OP decided on? I see in the sig that PP 0w20 is being used.

By now I guess the bypass ratings have been answered. I too had the same questions and will be sticking with the 15A as the black 160 is not available anymore

Fwiw the 15A and black Roki are not exact at least on the outside. I had to go buy filter pliers as the cap wrench I have fits the 15A but not the 160. Too small

I got my hands on three of the 160 filters and used them for the initial changes. Back in September Wix finally came out with their 57055 (Napa Gold 7055) and I used one of those (Napa) on the last change. It has the typical Wix threaded end bypass, so it does have the smaller filtering area, it's main negative. I know Purolator is working on a L14615/PL14615, but it still shows online not to be available yet. With the easy availability of the Wix/Napa filters at Oreilly and Napa and the fact that the car seems to like them I'll probably just stick with the Wix. Although I do like PureOne filters if it ever comes to market.

I never got to the point of using the blue Honeywell filters. The recall and at least seeming to be a cousin to the orange can of death..... I just couldn't.

Originally Posted By: sopususer

I got my hands on three of the 160 filters and used them for the initial changes. Back in September Wix finally came out with their 57055 (Napa Gold 7055) and I used one of those (Napa) on the last change. It has the typical Wix threaded end bypass, so it does have the smaller filtering area, it's main negative. I know Purolator is working on a L14615/PL14615, but it still shows online not to be available yet. With the easy availability of the Wix/Napa filters at Oreilly and Napa and the fact that the car seems to like them I'll probably just stick with the Wix. Although I do like PureOne filters if it ever comes to market.

I never got to the point of using the blue Honeywell filters. The recall and at least seeming to be a cousin to the orange can of death..... I just couldn't.

I know what you mean about using the blue can but I'm going to give it a whirl with 5 quarts of the 0w20 TGMO. Toyota dealer near me sells it for 5.39 a quart which seems like a decent deal

I saw a pic of a cut apart blue can her I the board and despite the cardboard caps it seemed pretty decently made. Gonna find out I guess!

Originally Posted By: sopususer

I stocked up on the NAPA Gold 7055 when they had them on sale for 50% off. Put the first one on a few weeks ago at my 15,000 mile oil change. As you mentioned, they do have less area than the 15A, but it seems to me, what the NAPA gives up in area, it more than makes up in thickness of filtration media.

When I do the 22,500 oil change, I'm going to start doing oil analysis. Then I should be able to see how well the NAPA filter does.

Do the Outback and Legacy with the 2.5 have the top mounted filters and same location as the 2.0 found in the Impreza and Crosstrek? I'm assuming if so they use the same filter?

Do the Outback and Legacy with the 2.5 have the top mounted filters and same location as the 2.0 found in the Impreza and Crosstrek? I'm assuming if so they use the same filter?

Yes the filter is top mounted next to the oil fill. Sure is nice as compared to the older models that had the filter underneath surrounded by the exhaust. Excess runoff from the filter change on those models meant you got to smell burning oil for a few days.

As for warranty, Wix specifically specifies the 57055 for my Legacy. If there were a warranty issue Subaru would have to prove it was the filter that caused the problem. I fully expect Wix, with their reputation for quality, would stand behind their product if it could somehow be proven that a problem arose from the use of a Wix filter. I ain't "skeerd."

Magnuson-Moss Warranty

However, I would avoid using a filter that just screws on. For example the Purolator PL14610 will fit, but it isn't recommended by Purolator for this application. If you had a problem with a non-spec'd filter I'd say you'd be footing the bill.

Ok yeah thanks, I now see the pic on the 1st page....yes almost identical. I guess I will stick it out with the blue can for now.

That location for the filter is awesome! I'm going to be putting a Fumoto F108N drain valve next change so this with filter location should make changes a breeze

If it is nice enough tomorrow I'll do the change with the TGMO

It boggles my mind at the number of Honeywell Haters and Framophobes out there. I've been using them from day one on 3 Subarus with a combined total of well over 100k. I only go through the trouble of ordering them just because so many people hate them.

There wasn't this much hate out there back when the OEM Purolators had leak issues. Still waiting for my OEM Honeywell explode.

In probably over 16 years of following Subaru forums, I do recall one case of warranty denial that was blamed on an aftermarket filter. That was an engine fire and the person's insuarance company blamed Subaru and Subaru blamed the oil filter.

People always throw around Magnuson-Moss, but they clearly haven't had the expense of taking SoA to court or through litigation. OTOH, there are those that only run filters with a very low bypass spec for hundreds of thousands of miles.

49.gif
35.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
It boggles my mind at the number of Honeywell Haters and Framophobes out there. I've been using them from day one on 3 Subarus with a combined total of well over 100k. I only go through the trouble of ordering them just because so many people hate them.

There wasn't this much hate out there back when the OEM Purolators had leak issues. Still waiting for my OEM Honeywell explode.

In probably over 16 years of following Subaru forums, I do recall one case of warranty denial that was blamed on an aftermarket filter. That was an engine fire and the person's insuarance company blamed Subaru and Subaru blamed the oil filter.

People always throw around Magnuson-Moss, but they clearly haven't had the expense of taking SoA to court or through litigation. OTOH, there are those that only run filters with a very low bypass spec for hundreds of thousands of miles.

49.gif
35.gif

-Dennis

That's the great thing about a free country. If you want to run the Honeywell filters and pay your hard earned cash for them what business is it of mine?

As I said, in the slightest of possibilities that there was a filter related failure, I'd expect Wix to back up what they put in writing. Wix warranty

I've been driving Subaru vehicles since 1995, and I'm not planning on having a legal battle with Subaru. The site I "threw around" above was from the Federal Trade Commission. I expect they put that information about Magnuson Moss up for a reason....I sort of suspect companies operating in the US do have to follow federal law.
soapbox1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back