2013 Jetta Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
my brother has a new jetta with the diesel motor. I know they get the first several oil changes for free from dealer, every 10k.

Someone told them the needed to get the oil changed on there own between these 10K intervals. so basically get the oil changed every 5k, and paying for every other time. This seems excessive to me. 10K on a quality oil should be no issue at all, especially if that's what is recommended by the manufacture. ANy thoughts?

Also, what is the recommended oil. I just assumed you could run any diesel oil, but it looks like this motor takes a specific rated 5-30?

thank!!

Originally Posted By: jdw1222
10K on a quality oil should be no issue at all, especially if that's what is recommended by the manufacture. ANy thoughts?

In general, I'd agree. The only time where 10K might be too much is if he's doing a lot of short tripping.

Quote:

Also, what is the recommended oil. I just assumed you could run any diesel oil, but it looks like this motor takes a specific rated 5-30?

It needs an oil meeting VW 504 00 / 507 00 spec.

VW usually has a specific spec for oils to meet. I assume that spec correlates with their recommended oil change interval.

I don't look for VW approved oils for our Beetle, though, since I don't think it's really necessary in the 2.0. I just use whatever oil is on sale and the old 2-point-slow keeps chugging along.

The TDI forums have a number of interesting oil threads. Many of the members choose high quality oils and go for even longer than the 10,000 mile mark. From the few UOA's I saw, I'd avoid doing that at all costs. The oil has a high particulate count at that point.

Also, it's clearly known that many VW dealerships put in oils not specifically spec'd for the TDI's. Even today!

While the newer TDI engines are reliable, the risk of using junk oil, for extended drain intervals is too high for my tastes. I'd choose a quality synthetic and change more regularly.

I looked at quite a few of the UOA's on the TDI's and most all that ran the long interval had high wear metals. As soon as they trimmed it back the numbers went down a good bit.

Originally Posted By: Donald
What is the sump capacity?

4.5 quarts for that TDI including filter.
VW side-note of interest: The new 2014 jetta 1.8 TSI specs 6.76 quarts.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The way trucks get many many miles on an oil change is the much larger sump capacity.

+1

44 quarts on most of the ones I've been around.

so basically get the oil changed every 5k, and paying for every other time. This seems excessive to me.

Not when you consider Common Rail TDIs have a tendency to explode their fuel pump (and incur $9000 of damage). It's worthwhile to keep that thing well-lubricated. It's also worthwhile to put lubricity additive to the fuel. And absolutely no gasoline. No even one drop (that too will explode the pump).

For what your brother paid for that car, I'd go with the 5k changes. I know, I know, 10k is possible and probably more but sheesh, an oil change is so cheap compared to that nice motor... I've had this same debate with my buddy with a SC Mini Cooper and "free" 10k oil changes. Cars are expensive, oil is not.

I think the dealers should give you X number of oil changes so you could come in when you want.

Originally Posted By: Scout1
For what your brother paid for that car, I'd go with the 5k changes. I know, I know, 10k is possible and probably more but sheesh, an oil change is so cheap compared to that nice motor... I've had this same debate with my buddy with a SC Mini Cooper and "free" 10k oil changes. Cars are expensive, oil is not.

I think the dealers should give you X number of oil changes so you could come in when you want.

Agreed. In fact, I'd suggest working with the dealer to do the 3 free changes at 5000 mile intervals. And, to ensure they use the right oil, 2 to 1, they don't. Those engines are exceedingly expensive to repair. Avoiding quality oil to save money makes zero sense.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
so basically get the oil changed every 5k, and paying for every other time. This seems excessive to me.

Not when you consider Common Rail TDIs have a tendency to explode their fuel pump (and incur $9000 of damage). It's worthwhile to keep that thing well-lubricated. It's also worthwhile to put lubricity additive to the fuel. And absolutely no gasoline. No even one drop (that too will explode the pump).

Who told you that?

More people have no issue with common rail diesels and never have any injector or fuel pump problems

Wonder how many of these vehicles that have suffered a failure have been partly misfuelled in their life and instead of getting the tank drained they owner just topped off with diesel

Or are the kind of owner that uses the cheapest supermsrket diesel which has the bare minimum additives

And have certsinly never used any kind of injector cleaner or fuel system cleaner to help keep things running nicely

Were they up to date with maintenance such as fuel filter?

I get it you may not be keen on small turbo diesels but lets keep it factual

What vehicle needs $9000 spent on the fuel system?

Petrol contamination will certainly reduce the lubrication of the fuel system but explode the pump?

Last edited:
Small highly tuned intercooled turbo diesel is relatively hard on the oil

It is very common in the UK to do an extra oil change at half way especially if the vehicle is used in severe service like taxi work or short journeys.

Manufacturers need to reduce servicing costs to make their product stack up to fleet managers etc

As the filter will essily last 10k i would probably just change the oil at half way

And stick to the oil specs as these engines and the turbo are easy to ruin.

One thing to keep in mind. Just because the exhaust is clean, does not mean the engine operates in an internally cleaner manner. With high rates of EGR flow and common diesel contaminates, the oil gets dirty quickly.

Pull all that exhaust treatment stuff off and these engines really have an awful exhaust smell, exactly as you might expect.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The TDI forums have a number of interesting oil threads. Many of the members choose high quality oils and go for even longer than the 10,000 mile mark. From the few UOA's I saw, I'd avoid doing that at all costs. The oil has a high particulate count at that point.

Also, it's clearly known that many VW dealerships put in oils not specifically spec'd for the TDI's. Even today!

While the newer TDI engines are reliable, the risk of using junk oil, for extended drain intervals is too high for my tastes. I'd choose a quality synthetic and change more regularly.
Originally Posted By: Sonataman
I looked at quite a few of the UOA's on the TDI's and most all that ran the long interval had high wear metals. As soon as they trimmed it back the numbers went down a good bit.

I'm not sure where this is all coming from. As a TDI owner and follower of the TDI club forums, the consensus is that for a majority of owners, a 10k OCI on VW 507 certified oil is perfectly fine and depending on driving style could go longer. It also often takes upwards of 50,000 miles of driving before the engine fully "breaks in" and wear metals are at a consistent level which for these common rail diesels is higher than the previous ones from VW (iron is often 30+ppm). For the OP, just ensure the dealer is using the proper VW 507, which is most often the Castrol SLX Professional LL03 if you utilize the free changes. Many use the same once the free changes are used up or switch to Mobil 1 Esp 5w-30 or TopTech 4200. There's also Pennzoil Ultra Euro L.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigjl
Who told you that?

The NHTSA and their ongoing consumer-protection investigation. And of course it's well-documented across the net, like VWvortex and TDIclub. As for the $9000, the pump exploding sends shrapnel throughout the VW engine, which requires extensive repair (mainly cleaning-out the bits by a mechanic).

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Who told you that?

The NHTSA and their ongoing consumer-protection investigation. And of course it's well-documented across the net, like VWvortex and TDIclub. As for the $9000, the pump exploding sends shrapnel throughout the VW engine, which requires extensive repair (mainly cleaning-out the bits by a mechanic).

It doesn't always cost $9k. It depends greatly on the dealer and a large number of people who have had the high pressure fuel pump go, end up having VW pay for the replacement with little to no cost to the owner. As for being "well-documented", only a small percentage of all the common rail diesels sold in north America have had issues. There are plenty of owners on the forums you mention as having no issues at all even without using a lubricity additive for potential protection.

Well I advise adding lubricity to VW CR-TDI fuel for the same reason I advise Toyota owners of the sludge-prone engine (or Honda owners of VCM engine) to run the best oil. There's a known problem, one important enough to warrant government investigation, so might as well take extra precaution.

Also: VW has been acting like Toyota did with their 1998-2007 sludge engine: Denying engine warranties. VW instructs dealers to pour a sample of fuel into a styrofoam cup and if the cup dissolves, your warranty is voided on the spot. It's ridiculous & unscientific but typical or how megacorps act.

Yeah okay.....
I admit that I view corporations the same way I view politicians. That's because they have repeatedly demonstrated themselves unworthy of my trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back