Why do people want to complain about dexos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, and if all that stuff isn't listed on the bottle, look at their data sheets. Seems like everyone who makes an engine has their own unique classification, and none of them the typical API or ILSAC classification.

Hi,
TiredTrucker - The trend towards EOMs and Oil Companies working together is about to gain more momentum

We can expect more very specific lubricant applications as new technologies are introduced by engine Manufacturers. Joint development is the way this is now being done!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Sw296inchblue
could you imagine, a bottle of oil covered with an approval spec/logo from every manufacturer out their. My 3 Vehicles are all GM

I don't think you've looked at many oil bottles lately
wink.gif

Next time you are in an auto parts store, take a look at the back of a Mobil 1 0w-40 bottle
smile.gif

. I meant on the front of the bottle were you see the big dexos logo. This just makes GM look So Petty.

If GM had their way, every part your gm car needed (including oil) would only be available from a licensed gm seller/reseller.

Just GM? I don't think any other manufacturer would be upset by this either.

QP, Yes API has a license and royalty fee but I think current numbers are slightly higher than what is quoted in your linked article.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
could you imagine, a bottle of oil covered with an approval spec/logo from every manufacturer out their. My 3 Vehicles are all GM

I don't think you've looked at many oil bottles lately
wink.gif

Next time you are in an auto parts store, take a look at the back of a Mobil 1 0w-40 bottle
smile.gif

. I meant on the front of the bottle were you see the big dexos logo. This just makes GM look So Petty.

Gotcha
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

I have a 2013 Chevrolet Silverado with a 5.3L engine in it. Since dropping the factory fill oil at 1200 miles, it has not seen any oil that has a dexos emblem on it. It gets Schaeffer 9003D 5w30 which claims it meets and exceeds the dexos spec, but doesn't have the label on the front, nor is it on the "approved" list. I I sleep just fine at night.

I don't think you'll be sleeping too well if you have a warranty claim on that engine and GM denies it for not running an approved oil. I realize the chances of it happening are super slim, but if I owned a new car still under warranty I certainly wouldn't be taking any chances.

Originally Posted By: Patman

I have a 2013 Chevrolet Silverado with a 5.3L engine in it. Since dropping the factory fill oil at 1200 miles, it has not seen any oil that has a dexos emblem on it. It gets Schaeffer 9003D 5w30 which claims it meets and exceeds the dexos spec, but doesn't have the label on the front, nor is it on the "approved" list. I I sleep just fine at night.

I don't think you'll be sleeping too well if you have a warranty claim on that engine and GM denies it for not running an approved oil. I realize the chances of it happening are super slim, but if I owned a new car still under warranty I certainly wouldn't be taking any chances.

GM would not have a leg to stand on by denying a warranty claim especially with a PCMO that exceeds the GM spec. GM would have to repair under warranty and then pay the legal fee's. GM would not go down that route not a wise business move.

Oh wait it is GM maybe they would go down that route.

Well, I guess I really don't lose any sleep over warranty hassles with my pickup because of oil I use. Especially since I have other engines that cost, alone, almost as much as my pickup does that no OEM gives me any hassles about oils in them. I have never had a warranty issue over oils in any commercial truck, ag tractor, etc. Dealing with an auto dealer is like dealing with youngsters. They think they know a lot, but their nonsense only works with the low information crowd. And a quick call to my attorney and having him give them a call will probably cure any dealer nonsense. And I am sure the FTC, who has just recently placed more emphasis on enforcement of the Magnussen Moss Warranty act because dealers are trying to go rogue, could make trouble for them also.

Nope. Doesn't bother me a bit that I am using a non dexos approved oil. Especially since the owners manual clearly states "or equivalent" in the section stating what oil to use. Well, the Schaeffer oil I use is more than "equivalent".

The dealer has about as much luck denying a warranty claim because of oil I use as a snow ball in hades. But they are welcome to try. I love taking on mental pygmies and making them eat crow. But first, the dealer is going to have to determine if the oil is not a dexos oil or "equivalent" per the manual. Not hardly.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Im thankful we arent talking about Fram,,arent you?

hahaha, ding dang darn right.

Nothing like a bash GM thread to bring out the goofy comments. I guess people actually imagine there is some sort of goober conspiracy here, and the 'evil GM' is the reason for all evil in oils....

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Im thankful we arent talking about Fram,,arent you?

hahaha, ding dang darn right.

Nothing like a bash GM thread to bring out the goofy comments. I guess people actually imagine there is some sort of goober conspiracy here, and the 'evil GM' is the reason for all evil in oils....

Many know all, but there are very few of the all's.

Well, I guess I really don't lose any sleep over warranty hassles with my pickup because of oil I use. Especially since I have other engines that cost, alone, almost as much as my pickup does that no OEM gives me any hassles about oils in them. I have never had a warranty issue over oils in any commercial truck, ag tractor, etc. Dealing with an auto dealer is like dealing with youngsters. They think they know a lot, but their nonsense only works with the low information crowd. And a quick call to my attorney and having him give them a call will probably cure any dealer nonsense. And I am sure the FTC, who has just recently placed more emphasis on enforcement of the Magnussen Moss Warranty act because dealers are trying to go rogue, could make trouble for them also.

Nope. Doesn't bother me a bit that I am using a non dexos approved oil. Especially since the owners manual clearly states "or equivalent" in the section stating what oil to use. Well, the Schaeffer oil I use is more than "equivalent".

The dealer has about as much luck denying a warranty claim because of oil I use as a snow ball in hades. But they are welcome to try. I love taking on mental pygmies and making them eat crow. But first, the dealer is going to have to determine if the oil is not a dexos oil or "equivalent" per the manual. Not hardly.

FINALLY!!! Someone that is posting the truth and not scared of everyone trying to bully the DEXOS garbage on people..

They can not deny a warranty if the oil meets/exceeds the spec... Doesn't have to be certified..

^ and manual does indeed say equivalent.. I've seen multiple manuals just to verify

A better question in my opinion would of been why GM did set their requirement recommendations with the API and ISLAC. Rather than go rouge set a requirement independent of every other member for DEXOS then insist on another revenue stream for themselves and then not open the books to the public were DEXOS profits are being withheld.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought that the DEXOS spec put the oil through additional/existing testing that proved that it was better for engine wear, sludge and piston deposits compare to API/ILSAC testing? I also thought that GM was going to be randomly selecting products from the retailers shelves to ensure the products complied with the spec?

If all of that is true, then I will gladly pay an additional 7 cents a gallon for DEXOS approved oils.

Originally Posted By: thereed
Correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought that the DEXOS spec put the oil through additional/existing testing that proved that it was better for engine wear, sludge and piston deposits compare to API/ILSAC testing? I also thought that GM was going to be randomly selecting products from the retailers shelves to ensure the products complied with the spec?

If all of that is true, then I will gladly pay an additional 7 cents a gallon for DEXOS approved oils.

While it is certainly more stringent than the API/ILSAC approvals, most oils will also carry the ACEA stuff. A5/B5 covers basically everything DEXOS does, with slightly less emphasis on oxidation and fuel economy. Dexos 1 also seems to have slightly more of a focus on wear:

dexos1.jpg

Originally Posted By: cp3
Please forgive me for not shedding a tear for the oil companies costs!

It would be interesting to see if the reaction would be the same if another manufacturer did the same thing. Or what the reaction was like when the API fee schedule was introduced.

7 cents a gallon isn't exactly exorbitant considering the up here you are looking at almost $50 a gallon for regular priced synthetic. It would be interesting to see the fee schedule and how it compares with the API's.

In 2011 Exon-Mobil made approximately $0.07 (YEP: that's 7 cents!) per gallon of gas delivered vs. an AVERAGE of $0.48 in combined fed & state taxes, per gallon.

Those "GREEDY" oil companies! BAD BAD BAD!!!

I think what is totally amusing about the whole dexos/GM thing is how GM actively promotes flex fuel vehicles using ethanol, but the dexos spec is WEAKER regarding ethanol use than the ILSAC GF-5 spec, which most oils meet along with the API SN spec.

This whole dexos thing is a ruse. Just a way to give those auto owners who have a large paranoia gland something to worry about. I have no problem, in general, with the spec. Just that it is not that big of a deal. I have a 2013 Chevrolet Silverado with a 5.3L engine in it. Since dropping the factory fill oil at 1200 miles, it has not seen any oil that has a dexos emblem on it. It gets Schaeffer 9003D 5w30 which claims it meets and exceeds the dexos spec, but doesn't have the label on the front, nor is it on the "approved" list. I I sleep just fine at night.

This is almost laughable. You'd rather use some off brand oil because of some obscure loyalty than use what the manufacturer wants?

I do agree that if one changes the oil when the manufacturer specifes, the odds of engine failure are slim to none, but GM could maybe not deny, but significantly delay repairs to your engine.

A vehicle is a HUGE investment and why do something to jeopardize it simply because you "feel" that your oil choice is better?

Ah, but I am using something OEM wants! The brand I am using, Schaeffer, meets the specs that make up the dexos spec! The GM 4718M and the GM 6094M specs. They just didn't shell out the dexos royalty fees. So who gets to laugh!

You assumed too much from my comments. I only was observing that the ILSAC GF-5 spec addresses the ethanol blends better than the dexos spec, which seemed strange since GM actively promotes ethanol use.

And you make an assumption, that I have never had happen with everything from consumer autos to commercial semis to agriculture and construction equipment that I sought warranty work on..... no one has ever even asked what oil I was using. Maybe the grade of oil, but never the brand.

This whole issue just exhibits that some have a paranoia gland that is enlarged.

Ah, but I am using something OEM wants! The brand I am using, Schaeffer, meets the specs that make up the dexos spec! The GM 4718M and the GM 6094M specs. They just didn't shell out the dexos royalty fees. So who gets to laugh!

You assumed too much from my comments. I only was observing that the ILSAC GF-5 spec addresses the ethanol blends better than the dexos spec, which seemed strange since GM actively promotes ethanol use.

And you make an assumption, that I have never had happen with everything from consumer autos to commercial semis to agriculture and construction equipment that I sought warranty work on..... no one has ever even asked what oil I was using. Maybe the grade of oil, but never the brand.

This whole issue just exhibits that some have a paranoia gland that is enlarged.

Schaeffer "says" it meets the specs? Has it been tested to indeed mettt dexos specs.

It's kind of like getting pulled over by a cop having no drivers license. You can tell the cop you meet or exceed the expectations of your state's requirements.

It probably does, but does Schaeffer do anything at a greater prioce than licensed Mobil 1 does? No.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stchman

Schaeffer "says" it meets the specs? Has it been tested to indeed mettt dexos specs.

It's kind of like getting pulled over by a cop having no drivers license. You can tell the cop you meet or exceed the expectations of your state's requirements.

It probably does, but does Schaeffer do anything at a greater prioce than licensed Mobil 1 does? No.

All oil blenders are able to get the DEXOS testing and specs.. So they can test they're own oils before they submitted them for DEXOS approval.. So just because they didn't have GM test it, doesn't mean it doesn't exceed/meet..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back