Alternatives to the OEM filter for Subarus??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my first Subaru a month ago and can't seem to find any alternative to the OEM oil filter for my Crosstrek (Imprezza engine).

I take that back......the Walmart books say the Fram Family fits but that's it. I understand that Subarus require a higher bypass pressure? ( I believe that's what I read). Other than the Ultra I'd prefer to stay away from Fram

So other than Fram or OEM do I have any alternatives that meet the bypass pressure and how can I tell if the filter does meet?

I dont like Fram either, but their XG line is good. I would use anything above Fram orange can with confidence, and even than.. alot of ppl use Fram orange can with no issues.. Do they have the Fram XG for your application? I got one for my Corolla for 6-7$. I would say the XG is built as good as a Pure One.

Wix supposedly came out with the proper high PSI bypass valve setting oil filters that Subaru specs. Look at the online Wix catalog and find the specs.

I would stick with Subaru filters unless I was feeling flush enough to go for a nice bright pink STi one or the Zero Sports one.

Both are expensive but very high quality

Maybe overkill on anything other than a highly tune STi but PINK, and bright PINK at that.

FRAM definately not and haven't seen any others in the UK to be honest which may infer most UK Scoob owners stick to OEM and pattern filters were not economically viable, especially as Subaru filters are under £10 (when I last bought them) which for the UK is cheap.

Wix 57712. It will be the same size as the turbo filter.

Quote:
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=57712

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 23

The only issue that some might have is that this was spec'ed for the turbo models and is smaller to give more clearance around the exhaust headers.

There's speculation that the reason for the high bypass pressure was simply to reduce the chance of going into bypass to keep crud from getting into the turbo bearings. I'm really not sure what purpose the high bypass would serve with normally aspirated engines other than there was a time when there was a single oil filter spec'ed for all 4-cylinder Subarus until they came up with the idea for a turbo filter.

Fram is now making the OEM Blue filters for Subaru...... Hence probably why the retail orange cans and Ultra etc cross reference to being compatible

How do I find what is required bypass pressure wise for a compatible filter? I'm not even sure what pressure is stated by Subaru

You could try searching the Web for specs of the specific Suburu filter by model number and sifting through data to look for pressure relief. What is the Suburu filter number for your application?

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Fram is now making the OEM Blue filters for Subaru...... Hence probably why the retail orange cans and Ultra etc cross reference to being compatible

How do I find what is required bypass pressure wise for a compatible filter? I'm not even sure what pressure is stated by Subaru

Looks like Purolator is working on a filter for that application ... "Availability To Be Announced".
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/reso...k&year=2013

Fram doesn't even list a filter for the XV Crosstrek.

WIX shows a filter #57830 ... has a 28 PSI bypass valve (same as the Subaru filter I believe).
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=57830

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You could try searching the Web for specs of the specific Suburu filter by model number and sifting through data to look for pressure relief. What is the Suburu filter number for your application?

This is the OEM filter, I bought 2 of them

Thanks for the links to the NASIOC forums. I think I got a lot of my questions answered and I learned a lot more about bypass pressure ratings and how fast the oil pump is working in Subies etc

Based on the info it looks like the safest bet for now is the OEM Blue can Fram.....while others may work just fine with the lower bypass pressure rating why risk it?

All good info..thanks!

Fram specifies the 7317 for this application - available in Extra Guard, Tough Guard, and Ultra versions.

I haven't checked our local Walmart, but their website states this model is available in-store. The PH9715 I use on our cars isn't stocked there, so I have to source them at Autozone instead.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
Fram specifies the 7317 for this application - available in Extra Guard, Tough Guard, and Ultra versions.

As mentioned before, Fram doesn't specify any filter on their look-up application on their website for the Subaru XV Crosstrek.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
As mentioned before, Fram doesn't specify any filter on their look-up application on their website for the Subaru XV Crosstrek.

Yes, they do for the 2013 model year. I suspect it's just a matter of not having updated the lookup tool completely. The engine didn't change and the OEM Subaru filter is the same for both model years.

I suspect that OE Subaru filters for the US may be made in the US

As the last time I bought some they were Made in Japan

They were the older Black ones that was used prior to the change to Blue.

Can't remember who makes (or made them back in 07) the filters in Japan

If FRAM makes US OE filters they should be a safe bet, but I would still stick with Subaru branded.

Does that make sense? Probably not.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yes, they do for the 2013 model year. I suspect it's just a matter of not having updated the lookup tool completely. The engine didn't change and the OEM Subaru filter is the same for both model years.

I just ran the Fram filter look-up tool, and there was no XV Crosstrek for the 2013 model year listed in the pull-down menu.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
According to Summit Racing the Fram TG 7317 has a 13 psi bypass setting. While i totally support the Fram TG filters while others bash them, the PSI setting is clearly incorrect.

Could also be that the Subaru OEM oil filter is pretty restrictive to flow, and because of that the bypass valve has been set to 23 PSI by Subaru due to the high volume oil pump used in those engines. There really isn't any good reason to set a bypass valve that high unless they expected the delta-p across the media to be pretty high also.

If an oil filter is pretty free flowing, the bypass valve doesn't need to be set as high as in a filter that has more flow restriction. Of course, the high oil volume flow in these engines is a factor, but the filter's flow performance is also a factor when the filter designer determines the bypass valve opening pressure.

I doubt Fram (or any other filter maker) would specify a filter for those Subaru engines that isn't going to provide the correct bypass operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back