Life on other planets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
Do you believe that there is life on other planets? Since it isn't yet provable, it is a matter of belief....and this is the more appropriate question than, "why do you believe in UFOs".

So, in that thread, the two Star Trek fans (of which I am one) got into a debate on how realistic a set of postulates were...ironically, the sci-fi fans were arguing against the outlandish...for more entertainment, see this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3187276#Post3187276

For the record, I believe that life does exist elsewhere in our universe, perhaps even in our own solar system.

I do not believe that said life explains UFOs...the physics of space travel is daunting. There are many, simpler explanations for phenomena that human senses are not able to resolve or identify.

For those who would like to learn more about topics in Astrophysics, including the discovery of extrasolar planets, I recommend the following iTunes University course. No real math required, it was designed for non-science majors. Download and enjoy.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/astrophysics-frontiers-controversies/id341651595

Cheers,
Astro

If life requires a star like the Sun and of course an Earth like planet there certainly are enough Sun type stars. Probably billions of them just in the Milky Way Galaxy alone, to say nothing of all of the billions of other galaxies.

It is a more difficult question to determine how many Earth type planets there are. Planets are being detected around other stars but Earth type planets are much too dim to study in detail from the Earth.

I was thinking originally that there are likely to be billions of Earth type planets in the Universe. But new research indicates a lot of very precise conditions are required for life to be able to develop on a planet. For example, the Moon apparently played a role in making in possible for life to develop on Earth, by helping to prevent the Earth from having too great of a inclination. And even large outer planets like Jupiter apparently played intricate but important roles.

There were apparently so many precise requirements that had to be met for life to develop on the Earth that some scientists think it is likely the Earth may be the only planet in the Universe with life or at least advanced forms of life.

I like to say what is more frightening to you: That there may be abundant life throughout the Universe and some of the intelligent life there could possibly be dangerous to us, or the possibility that we are completely alone in the Universe. For me, I think it would be more frightening to be completely alone in the vast Universe. I think I would like to have other intelligent life out there even if perhaps some of that intelligent life might be potentially dangerous to us. Because otherwise if we mess up here and we are alone the only chance is gone.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Do you believe that there is life on other planets?...

I suppose one of best answers I heard to that question came from the movie 'Contact.' When asked a similar question by Jodie Foster's character to her father, his answer was "I don't know....But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space."

A better question is "How many intelligent civilizations are out there right now?"

The entire duration of recorded human existence is an infinitesimal speck in the history of the universe.

Our 50 years of (very local!) spaceflight is nothing compared to the 13+ billion years since creation.

It's entirely conceivable that we could bridge the gaps between stars, and yet be forever separated from other civilizations simply by the enormousness of time.

To answer the question, Where was Mork from?, so we know it is possible.
grin.gif

For the record, I believe that life does exist elsewhere in our universe, perhaps even in our own solar system.

I do not believe that said life explains UFOs

That is exactly what I "believe". I don't think there is intelligent life in our solar system (especially in Washignton DC) aside from humans on Earth, but I do believe the universe is teaming with life, both intelligent and non.

Given the size of the universe and given the fact that scientists are now finding many stars outside our solar system with their own solar systems and even planets in the correct distance away from their parents stars to support life, it just seems plausible to me that the universe is abundant with life.

Quote:

I will keep an open mind about life outside our planet as an interesting postulate, but until we determine how life began here, I will remain skeptical.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Do you believe that there is life on other planets?...

I suppose one of best answers I heard to that question came from the movie 'Contact.' When asked a similar question by Jodie Foster's character to her father, his answer was "I don't know....But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space."

^This

While it may seem premature given our limited understanding I think it is equally arrogant to assume we are the only planet in the universe to support life. The nature of that life is the more interesting debate at this point. I remember thinking how silly sounded the postulate that the earth was flat or that the sun revolved around the earth. I imagine that at some point in the future the postulate that life exists nowhere else will sound equally as silly.

Do you believe that there is life on other planets? Since it isn't yet provable, it is a matter of belief....and this is the more appropriate question than, "why do you believe in UFOs".

Of course, the Drake equation indicates that it's quite likely. But, as you and I both know, the existence of life on other planets is not equivalent to that life having developed interstellar travel.

Originally Posted By: BubbaFL
It's entirely conceivable that we could bridge the gaps between stars, and yet be forever separated from other civilizations simply by the enormousness of time.

That's exactly true. Other life could be far more advanced than ours, or be microbial. But, if it's tens of thousands of light years away, we're never going to know, and they won't know about us.

Even if there were interstellar travel, it's a mighty big universe, with a lot of "grains of sand" to explore, either up close or at a distance. Star Trek of course involves the Federation (and others) waiting to contact societies that develop useful interstellar travel. If we somehow beat the challenge of doing so, I don't think there will be a welcoming committee.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I will keep an open mind about life outside our planet as an interesting postulate, but until we determine how life began here, I will remain skeptical.

Regardless of the origin of life here, it is here. Our world may be exceedingly rare, but in all the vastness out there, it's doubtful that it's the only one.

As I understand, our planet is protected from the radiation from our nuclear reactor,{the sun) by the magnetic fields of the earth.Any airline pilot will tell you that, as a group, they are much more suseptable to cancer than the average population. Could there have been other life, however basic, on Mars? did it die due to the loss of magnetic radiation protection from sun? The study of our changing magnetic field is facinatimg. Many discusions of possible life in our, or other solar systems seem to ignore the protection our magnetic field offers to the sustinance of life here on earth. FWIW

Oldtommy

One doesn't need to understand geology to observe rocks, and one doesn't need to understand the exact origin of life to observe where we find it, and the tenacity of it to exist in all sorts of circumstances that were once thought exclusive to being able to support it.

I do believe in UFO's. Most people who look into the sky have no idea what they're looking at. Venus has been reported as a UFO. So have fireball meteors. A bright star like Sirius rising or setting scintillates, e.g. flashes with different colors, again open to interpretation as a UFO.

I look up all the time when outside night or day. I've never seen anything that I couldn't explain.

I'm not saying there's not intelligent life out there. I just haven't seen compelling evidence.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
Any airline pilot will tell you that, as a group, they are much more suseptable to cancer than the average population.

Can't say that I've come across that...yes, they can receive higher doses of radiation than the average population, but haven't seen that turned into a "much more suspceptible...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12862322

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/about-cancer/cancer-questions/airline-staff-and-cancer

just my supposition,but they are probably more exposed to formaldehyde, and various exotic lubricant fumes than the rest of the travelling public.

I am a huge SciFi nerd but I think Hollywood’s self important view of humanity has brainwashed us to think that if there is intelligent life out there it will be vastly more advanced and be hostile toward us and our planet (war of the worlds). Or, the intelligent space faring species have blundered along consumed by petty differences waiting for humanity to assume a galactic leadership roll and start exploring the galaxy spreading our superior morality (Star Trek). While those prospects are entertaining it seems equally likely that if we meet intelligent life from other worlds we will find them similar to us. Some more advanced, some less advanced, and some (perhaps most) indifferent to us all together. As has been said, the huge distances in space and time would indicate that even in a universe teeming with intelligent life the chances of that life ever meeting are slim.

The one thing that seems certain to me is that if we do ever make some sort of first contact it will be a stupendous discovery that will shape humanity as much as the discovery of fire or the wheel.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
. . . I was thinking originally that there are likely to be billions of Earth type planets in the Universe. But new research indicates a lot of very precise conditions are required for life to be able to develop on a planet. For example, the Moon apparently played a role in making in possible for life to develop on Earth, by helping to prevent the Earth from having too great of a inclination. . . .

Hm; I hadn't heard that one, but that the Moon's role was in skimming off a great deal of the original, Venus-like atmosphere the Earth originally had. Without the Moon, Earth would have been "an eternal, searing black calm" (Larry Niven). That may be out of date.

Yes, the physics of traversing interstellar space would be daunting without a faster-than-light drive. Having aliens visit the Earth for resources they could find in their own star system, or in systems they could get to in a reasonable time, would hardly pay as we understand it. When in the TV series "V" it was revealed the aliens wanted Earth's water, well, they could have mined the outer planets of the solar system a lot more profitably.

And as for an alien race advanced enough for star flight being basically peaceful, as "Trek" suggests and written SF often has it, maybe. But what if the aliens stole their technology from another, more peaceful race? Then they could leap to star traveling in one bound, and still be predatory. Marauding desert bandits of our world haven't the industrial base to manufacture automatic rifles, but they can sure buy or steal them. . . .

When I was a child and I asked my Dad (a simple man) if there was life on other planets, his answer was a definite "no."

But I can't believe that with all these billions of stars and planets and such, Earth is the ONLY one with life on it? Seems almost impossible.

John

Life on other worlds?
There may be life on other bodies in our little system, or may have been at one time.
Intelligent life?
There are other planets like ours in our galaxy orbiting suns the same spectral class as ours, although we cannot yet detect them.
Will we ever visit these worlds, or will their inhabitants visit us?
Only if the fantasy of travel near the speed of light is achieved.
Wormholes, anyone?

Oh yeah,I believe it's out there.

I don't think some of them are unaware of us, either. If there are more intelligent or advanced cultures out there aware of us, then it must be a riot observing us bumbling around down here.
smile.gif
In keeping with the intellect theme, they may also not want to interfere with us either.

Life? Perhaps. Intelligent life? Well, could be intelligent like a dog or a fish or a bird. I don't buy the claims of wholesale evolution, so I don't buy that equivalent life exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back