Good price or got hosed????

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the truck, typical Ford problems, had both ball joints replaced and control arms on the front replaced. Also had a problem with the 4x4 disengaging....it's the shift on the fly type. No vacuum leaks, but they took the actuator off and cleaned and relubed it. Shift fork was not bent. Now it all works as it should. Checked the front pumpkin, fluids were fine. All told.....840 dollars.

Why replace the control arm and not just the bushings?

4 ball joints from Rockauto would be like $200, right? Just guessing. And a solid 2 hours to remove old ones and install new ones. Plus, realignment. At $50/hour labor, but $80 for realignment, you're already at $400 just for ball joints.

New control arms can't be cheap.....at least $100/each side, Probably more.

Plus at least an hour dealing with actuator.

I think you got a good deal.

I would say good deal.

A lot of times it's quicker for shops to just buy a new control arm rather than replacing bushings. I'm not sure how the front suspension is on the F150, but a lot of vehicles you can buy a lower control arm with ball joint already installed. Likely that's what the shop did when they found that it needed a bushing and ball joint.

One thing I did make sure......new ball joints have a GREASE ZERK....and forgot to add a front end alignment to the tab.

The reason for having to replace the upper control arms is that no one makes just the bushing. I have an 03 Ford F150 FX4 that has the same suspension and there is a torsion bar that connects to the lower control arm. Bushings are made for the lower control arm to prevent having to remove the torsion bar but nothing for the upper control arm.

As far as getting a good deal I would say so because I was quoted over 1000 dollars just to rebuild the driver side suspension with an alignment.

Sounds like you got a bargain to me too.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Why replace the control arm and not just the bushings?

The upper ball joints are integrated to the control arms; the outer part of the ball joint is forged in one piece with the upper control arm. Moog makes replacement control arms which contain replaceable ball joints, so if a customer opts for them, the next time they need ball joints they don't need to replace everything. The bushings are available separate in case they just have worn bushings and don't need ball joints.

Thanks for the input. This is an independent repair shop, just the owner really. Has done some other work for me and always seemed spot on. Just wanted to check with others because after reading some of the Ford forums, that clanking could have been from a lot of things. This guy lifts up the truck, starts yanking on stuff and the tire and said it was those two items...period. No testing or anything, just knew. Sure enough, truck rides like a Cadillac now....smoother than my CRV. Like others here, getting older and looking for a place than can take of maintenance items I use to be able to do. Seems like I may have found a one stop shop. Appreciate your inputs.

Doesn't seem like a bad deal at all with labor, alignment and such. I just did my truck and parts were around $550 but that was including a hub and axle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back