Honda Element reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondered what you guys thought of the reliability of the Honda Element. I have been thinking about getting one because of the utility, I really like that. I was hoping that they would get a little better gas mileage than they do though, only 24-27 mph highway in these things?

It's basically a CR-V/Civic underneath, so it should be pretty solid. Parts should be cheap and plentiful.

Ericthecarguy owns one, so you will have plenty of DIY videos you can follow. lol, but they reliable overall from what I've heard.

I have heard that the CRV gets better gas mileage though, CRVs are too expensive for me and don't have the utility but any idea why they would get better mileage? Same engine I thought.

Originally Posted By: 7055
I have heard that the CRV gets better gas mileage though, CRVs are too expensive for me and don't have the utility but any idea why they would get better mileage? Same engine I thought.

The Element is much boxier and therefore has a higher coefficient of drag than the CRV. Gearing, tire width, etc may also be slightly different between the two vehicles.

Overall they are reliable vehicles. VERY utilitarian, lots and lots of space inside, and easy to clean up.

We purchased a new Element in 2003 and it has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned in over 30 years. The only weak points are: a) the OEM windshield was made too thin and suffers from stress cracks; however, Honda lost a class action lawsuit and had to replace them or pay compensation; and b) the driver's seat suffers from the dreaded "rocking horse" syndrome due to poorly designed nylon bushings that crack often. I have not performed any other repairs in 134,000 miles over 10 years. We have the 5 speed AWD EX model, but in hindsight, I should have gone with the auto tranny. The A/T is more relaxed on the interstate as a result of taller gearing which also returns better mpg at 65+ mph. I normally get 23 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway. An added benefit is that it is one of the few Honda's with a timing chain instead of a timing belt. The absence of much sound insulation makes it noisy at high speeds.

Originally Posted By: 7055
Wondered what you guys thought of the reliability of the Honda Element.

It's excellent, but watch out for the air-conditioning. Consumer Reports says climate-control reliability for the Element is good, but I've seen evidence otherwise. Honda has extended the A/C warranty on a number of Civic-based vehicles to cover early A/C failure.

When we recently bought a new car, we decided against the CR-V partially on account of the A/C troubles.

The Element is one of those vehicles that's too practical to pass up.

I would have one if I could have found one with a 5 speed manual
frown.gif

We have an'05 Element with almost 160k miles. It has been extremely reliable! Its interior is cavernous and attains decent mpg in the city and on the highway. I would highly recommend one.

The A/C may be a problem, and interior components seem to fail sooner than ones in other Hondas, but the engine, transmission, and suspension don't seem trouble prone. A used Honda Element can be a good deal used.

We have been extremely happy with our 2008 Honda Element EX 5 Speed. It is a fun car to drive and has been very practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back