Duracell Battery from Sams club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking last night at the Duracell brand battery from Sams club that I need and it says its made by East Penn. I could not find any date code but the warranty was 3 year replacement. Same warranty as ones from Wally world and Sears but about 20 dollars cheaper. It was 84 dollars for a group 75 by the way.

Are these any good and where do I find the date code? Thanks.

I don't have any issues with east penn. But costco may be $79.99, and aap on their big discount deals may be cheaper yet.

Any code of any type? Label or melted into case? Maybe a L13 or M13 or N13 for a date code?

The MAXX from Walmart was top rated by Consumer Reports in almost every group size.

I have not tried the Duracell Brand Battery from Sams but was curious about them. I believe that Wal-Mart has some batteries that are pro rated again to 5 yrs instead of just the standard 1,2,or 3 yr replacement depending on the battery. I think just a couple of years ago they stopped having the prorated part of the warranty if that is something important to you.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
I have not tried the Duracell Brand Battery from Sams but was curious about them. I believe that Wal-Mart has some batteries that are pro rated again to 5 yrs instead of just the standard 1,2,or 3 yr replacement depending on the battery. I think just a couple of years ago they stopped having the prorated part of the warranty if that is something important to you.

Just a month ago I purchased Walmart's Everstart Maxx which like you say is a 5 year prorate/3 year replacement. It's made by Johnson Controls which also makes DieHard.

It's odd that Walmart is using two different battery makers..one for Sam's and one for Walmart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brule

Just a month ago I purchased Walmart's Everstart Maxx which like you say is a 5 year prorate/3 year replacement. It's made by Johnson Controls which also makes DieHard.

It's odd that Walmart is using two different battery makers..one for Sam's and one for Walmart.

Yes - I think that is odd also. But they would need a different model for Sams. One needs to get something more/better/cheaper by going to Sams (paying the membership fee) than just plain shopping at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Any code of any type? Label or melted into case? Maybe a L13 or M13 or N13 for a date code?

The MAXX from Walmart was top rated by Consumer Reports in almost every group size.

I didnt look on the case but I will the next time I am in there. I only looked on the label on top..

I have a Duracell from East Penn in our CR-V. Seems to be fine to me. For the 51R or whatever size our CR-V takes, Sam's Club was the least expensive by at least 10 bucks as I recall. The warranty is as good as anywhere else. I think I replaced it a year-and-a-half ago.

We have an EverStart Maxx in size 35 in our Acura MDX and it, too, has been a fine battery. I think it's two years old now.

Good timing, I just bought one last week. There definitely should have been a date code on the battery. Mine had a round sticker on the side with L3 for November '13. Locally my size battery was $90 at Sam's and $100 at Walmart with the difference being an East Penn battery with 3yr full replacement at Sam's and a Johnson Controls battery with 3yr replacement and 5yr pro-rate at Walmart. The manufacturer was the deciding factor for me. I've had good luck with JC batteries in the past but I just had two fail at the three year mark in the past month so I wanted to avoid the JC battery. I've heard good things about East Penn and I've got one that's at the five year mark in another vehicle so that's the way I went. By the way, Advance Auto and Autozone were both nearly $150 for that size battery with similar CCA rating.

Originally Posted By: Brule

The DieHard I bought a couple years ago was made by East Penn. I bought it for that reason. Have not been too happy with JC batteries, ie Interstate and previous Diehard's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back