New Amsoil ATF for Honda DW-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there is a cooling loop through the radiator's ATF cooler. Some of them already have factory inline filters. Our CR-V, for example, already has an inline filter in the cooling loop, though it's probably a simple filter with coarse media. Our MDX does not. I have not installed a Magnefine in our MDX, though I probably should.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Our MDX does not. I have not installed a Magnefine in our MDX, though I probably should.

Keep us posted with pics or install details if you do. Each application has it's own quirks.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
Anyone know the total capacity of 2011 Honda oddy tranny fluid?

Depending on what tranny you have, here is the capacity of your 2011 Honda Odyssey. I got this off the Amsoil website.

Automatic Transmission, PV1A Initial Fill..........3.3 quarts
Automatic Transmission, MV2A Initial Fill..........3.6 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
5 speed PV1A..........8 quarts
6 speed MV2A..........7.4 quarts

-ttvr4

I am currently running Amsoil ATF on my 2010 Honda CRV 5 speed 2WD MZJA transmission. Did 2 drain and fill (8 quarts total). Transmission shifts are smoother and quicker compared to the factory ATF-Z1 fluid.

I am also running Amsoil ATF on my 2006 Toyota Camry and 2007 Mazda 6. Use with confidence!

-ttvr4

Thanks for the info! Everyone makes you scared to use Amsoil ATL in a Honda instead of DW-1. I plan on doing a drain and fill every oil change with ATL for the next 3 oil changes instead of doing a 3x3.

Having had superb experience with going with Amsoil ATF for my Odyssey 2005 (replaced by MDX 2012 - 1.5 years ago) and TL 2005, I am switching over to Amsoil ATL on my MDX @ about 18k on the MDX using 3x3 over 3 oil changes.

Just put in the first round of Amsoil ATL in the MDX and the shifts at lower gears have improved significantly. Will see over time how this goes before doing the remaining 2 chanes to change out DW-1 to all Amsoil.

I did the change over at my Acura dealership who also offer Amsoil ATF on the older Honda/Acura models after having used it for the first time in my Honda Odyssey 2005.

Having lost the tranny on my 2005 Odyssey at 47K followed by another one at 50k, I lost faith in the Honda "gunk" ATF Z1 tranny fluid and switched to Amsoil over 3 changes on the third tranny. When I sold my Odyssey at 150+k miles the Odyssey felt like driving a brand new car - smooth shifts and all.

The TL 2005 was switched to Amsoil ATF starting about 60k and has 120k miles and no tranny issues - shifts are super smooth and the brutal winters here don't cause any hard shifting when starting up the car.

DW-1 may be a synthetic fluid (my dealer tells me the bottle doesn't say so) but I have no faith in Honda branded gunk anymore.

Last edited:
My unknown fluid with unknown usage will be swapped out with a few D&F with Amsoil ATF in my Accord. I don't have any problem using Amsoil and it's worked great in every other car I've owned. I've heard the same "dealer brand only" argument about Hyundai and the trans ran better with Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Tones
I've done 2 drain and fills with the Amsoil ATF in my 2010 Civic. Significant improvement in shift quality.

Honda transmission shift quickly, some time interpreted more harsh than other makes, to prevent wear on the clutch plates. I imaging the alternative fluid is causing slower engagement.

TO bad they do not sell Amsoil in stores, I mean you have to order the stuff... Seems weird to me.

Unles there is a local store that sells it that I do not know OF??

Also I just stick with Honda DW-1

thats what is made for that Tranny and no other tranny......

The only other I would even try is MAXX LIFE...... and not alll.

perhaps just 1 DRAIN AND FILL.

mostly DW1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David1
TO bad they do not sell Amsoil in stores, I mean you have to order the stuff... Seems weird to me.

Unles there is a local store that sells it that I do not know OF??

It's not weird at all to have oil and lubes delivered to your porch. People do it all the time. You can pick up at the Amsoil Distribution Center if you are a Preferred Customer. How close to Orlando are you?

If I may, what's the real difference between the $8.50/qt OTF and the $11.50/qt ATF? The OTF has a higher viscosity index, but otherwise appears to meet the same or similar specifications.

So they have OTF/OTL which are the "high" and "low" viscosity OE fluids and they have the ATF/ATL which are also "high" and "low" viscosity fluids.

Pablo?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If I may, what's the real difference between the $8.50/qt OTF and the $11.50/qt ATF? The OTF has a higher viscosity index, but otherwise appears to meet the same or similar specifications.

So they have OTF/OTL which are the "high" and "low" viscosity OE fluids and they have the ATF/ATL which are also "high" and "low" viscosity fluids.

Pablo?

The OE ATF's contain VII's and are at least partially Group III, designed to meet lifetime fill or OE OCI's. The Sig Series are extended drain full synthetic ATF's with no VII's.

It is a good product but I can't pull myself away from DW1. Full synthetic and the numbers below are a big part of why.
DW1 specs below are from Idemitsu Lube America.
@40c--25.09cSt
@100c--6.835cSt
thumbsup2.gif
VI- 255

Originally Posted By: Roob
It is a good product but I can't pull myself away from DW1. Full synthetic and the numbers below are a big part of why.
DW1 specs below are from Idemitsu Lube America.
@40c--25.09cSt
@100c--6.835cSt
thumbsup2.gif
VI- 255

Honda DW-1 that in the USA is not a full syn or even a blend.

I know this is probably beating a dead horse and I'll get a lecturing but here goes anyway. My 2006 Honda Accord has 180,000 miles on it. No noticeable trans problems. Possibly a very slight shudder on occasion shifting into 2nd but could be my imagination. Atf was changed at dealer at 69,000. Fluid is looking pretty dirty, only a very slight red to it. Thinking it probably should be changed. Since Honda doesn't sell the Z1 anymore only the DW1 should I go with the new DW1, Amsoil ATL, or stick with the similar as original viscosity Amsoil ATF. Cost isn't a factor as I can readily get Amsoil for around the same. My inclination is to go with Amsoil ATF and some Lubegard Red? Or actually just the Amsoil OE OTF as I'm not sure that I need the Signature Series at this point in the game. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Your choice, but in a 2006 I wouldn't go low viscosity. That's just my observed opinion.

IMPORTANT!!!

Good point.

I'd use Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back