Oil leak from head, Max Life can solve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, unfortunately my mechanic says that my Citroen C3 1.4 16V 90hp leaking oil from the head gasket before replacing the gasket, I wanted to know if you can with Valvoline MaxLife groped to solve the problem. I await your responses. thanks

I doubt it. A Thing like a head gasket should be fixed. Ain,t that difficult on that engine anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shDK
I doubt it. A Thing like a head gasket should be fixed. Ain,t that difficult on the engine anyway.

+1

IMO Maxlife is good for something like an oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, or any other gasket that is not "super critical". A head gasket should be replaced asap, the right way. It sucks, but my guess is if it is leaking oil it will eventually get worse and you could end up with a milkshake in your crank case, no one wants that. (could lead to a pretty badly damaged engine)

Generally, head gaskets are metal. Nothing to swell, treat, or "condition, like other seals. The only fix is the replace the gasket...preferably, before it starts leaking coolant too....

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Generally, head gaskets are metal. Nothing to swell, treat, or "condition, like other seals. The only fix is the replace the gasket...preferably, before it starts leaking coolant too....

Though The gasket is steel. There still is rubber sealing for coolant and oil canals in the gasket.

If it is leaking that bad, I would check for warpage or a crack. Head gaskets "usually" do not fail that way.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
If it is leaking that bad, I would check for warpage or a crack. Head gaskets "usually" do not fail that way.

+1 You will want to find out WHY its has failed.. unless these are a common issue for these cars, sometimes head gaskets just fail. You don't want to fix the problem, without addressing an underlying cause.

Originally Posted By: shDK
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Though The gasket is steel. There still is rubber sealing for coolant and oil canals in the gasket.

Depends on the gasket. I've seen many that are simply steel, and when crushed, the impressions in the steel seal oil and coolant passages...but I think that either way, the maxlife is unlikely to make any difference...

in effect in the European small car, head gasket gives around 120/150 mila km, so in that case I have to do to perform the job to my mechanic

In my opinion no oil is going to stop a head gasket leak. Also head gaskets do fail, the rest of the head could be just fine. I have put head gaskets on several 4cyl and not had to mill the head. The gasket just fails over time. Fix it, don't put any of that head gasket repair junk in the antifreeze either, asking for coolant system issues later IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back